Issue with Shared Space and Patio Area

Yeah with the guest situation. Don’t allow it. I mean if they know people, why don’t they just go around that persons house?

4 Likes

Agree with all of the above! Guests actually respect you more if you are firm and clear with boundaries. The couple you have sound awful and remind me of several of my worst guests. They too were in that age bracket, used to traditional B&Bs and holiday rental type places. They did not adjust well to sharing space and were basically cheapskates who wanted to stay in an expensive city without paying hotel prices.

5 Likes

Hi David!
Great space and great price! I agree with everyone else, change the name of your listing to anything BUT Private Patio. Private Bedroom In Clean Condo would be a good title. Change your description to include that common areas are shared with the host. Also, I would label each photo, people may not read our descriptions, but they do look at photos! So, really spell it out on the photos—“living room is a shared space with host”.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice and I’ll make those changes!

2 Likes

Yet again…another traveler who does not understand Airbnb. I can see from their one and only previous experience that maybe they just assumed you wouldn’t be around much like their previous host. I would explain to them that their experience is not necessarily typical and they should expect host will always be in shared spaces.

I would edit all the captions in your pics to specify the spaces are shared with the host. And I 100% agree with the others. There is no reason for guests to be entertaining their family at your house. How on earth did they even think it was okay to plan a party and not tell you? BTW - had they already received approval from you to invite over family (but they hadn’t decided which day yet)? Were they even planning to tell you…or you would just see a bunch of cars pulling up with people carrying food inside? Unreal.

2 Likes

She told me the day they checked in that they were planning on having their immediate family over all afternoon Sunday. I told her that I was having a BBQ that day but they were welcome to have them over any other day/time but she was still pretty pissed. They just checked out and they said they would be contacting the Resolution Center to get a refund when I didn’t offer them compensation. Hopefully this is over easily as I’ve never had to deal with anything like this.

Have you contacted the resolution center already? If not, I would do so now to get your side of the story in first. I would explain to the rep. (in case he is a dud) that your listing clearly says they are renting a private room. Tell them the guest expected their experience to be like the last one.

OK…so they told you they were planning to have a BBQ when they checked in. But did she ask for permission before she checked in?

2 Likes

She asked on Airbnb either the day before or day of checking in. No, I haven’t contacted them yet. ok, that’s good advice.

Agree. Open a case now so that you have some back up before the review comes in. I guess I am wondering why you aquiesed on “no parties and events” but agreed to let these folks host what I would call a big party. Is that conversation in the text messaging or in person?

This was probably a case of misunderstanding, but if I saw that photo (especially as the lead) with the headline Private Patio, I’d assume I’d have that dandy place all to myself. :wink:

I am a bit confused.

So guest asked the day before check in or morning of check in if she could invite around 8 people over? You said she could. And then within hours you planned your own party, and then told them when they arrived that you would be having a party on such and such day. And then guest said “that is the same day we were planning to have our party.”??

@datrip1
What was your answer in writing when she inquired about her bbq on Airbnb ?
You need to tighten up your ship. I think you are way too nice and too laid back. Other people are not as nice or easygoing as
you’ve unfortunately learned.
I hope you don’t lose the money. I would also raise your price imho. It’s Chicago for xxxx sakes!

Her question:

Hi – May we bring our 4 nearby relatives to your patio for a couple of hours around 2:30 pm on Sunday afternoon to carve fruit into animals? Dad, Mom, 5-year-old, and 2-year old. Well-behaved kids. Will leave area as we found it. Linda Thomas

My response:
Hi,

I’m actually having a housewarming BBQ on Sunday and expecting 10-15 people to be on my patio area from 2-8pm. You are welcome to join us. That’s the only day I plan on using the space much so you can have them over any other day and it’s not a problem.

I might be slightly cheap at $79 weekdays and $89 weekends with $20 cleaning fee. I just checked out the beyondpricing guide and they actually had lower for weekdays and barely higher for weekends.

Honestly, datrip1? On seeing her message to you and the fact that the listing did say ‘Private patio’, I would be inclined to offer a small refund. You are quite new to this, have a lovely place, and it would be such a shame if it was stymied by a bad review so early on. I’m sure others will disagree with me but in these circumstances it might be wise to take the financial hit for the sake of future reservations? Of course, they could still leave a bad review but at least you would be able to respond saying you had refunded them one night because of the misunderstanding.

I am still confused.

So guest emailed and asked if they could bring over 4 relatives to cut fruit into animals (NO prior mention of visitors) - correct?

Then you replied and mentioned your party but the guests were welcome to have their relatives over any other day…correct?

So where in this timeline does guest suddenly get upset because they were planning to bring over around 8 people to BBQ?

1 Like

@datrip1
Pricing guides are a joke, you are really a bargain compared to the Airbnb we stayed in last summer in Chicago

Fruit into animals? Having raised twins, this sounds like it could be a bit messy. :slight_smile: That said, their message was polite and did ask for permission rather than making assumptions. I am counting the guests, the guest couple and the kids… 4 adults, two kids?

I wouldn’t personally take the Beyond Pricing suggestions very seriously… My place in Kona, Hawaii, is extremely seasonal. A mainland company and its algorithms wouldn’t have a clue about what happens in rural Hawaii. I think your price is fair for the city and the accommodations.

She didn’t tell me that she was upset until the evening prior to check out and that she was expecting a refund.

For next summer, I’ll def up my price by $10-20 a night. There are some similar places within a few blocks of mine that offer private room and bathroom (and some the whole floor) for $99 a night so I felt I couldn’t go much higher.

Cabinhost - Correct and correct for the first 2 questions. She said she had 8 people in total she wanted to have the evening of check out.

1 Like

Also she canceled the remainder of her stay to get a partial refund so she can’t leave a review :slight_smile: She left 2 days early to go visit family a couple hours north of the city.

2 Likes

All’s well that ends well. But wait, you aren’t on strict cancellation?

1 Like

Can’t guests still leave a review if they cancel mid-stay? I thought it was only if they didn’t stay there at all. Anyway, good that it is all sorted now :slight_smile: