In my opinion, weird guest behavior

The best is when summer rolls around here and I make the bed with a top sheet and an empty duvet cover or another light top layer. There’s a blanket on the shelf that gets pulled down and put on the bed about 25% of the time. So most of the summer my laundry loads are cut in half.

Also, I really struggled with the duvet cover wrestling but kept practicing. Now the thing that takes the most time is buttoning the buttons because not all my covers have zippers.

1 Like

We dry all our cotton bedding and towels in the dryer. I wish we could hang them to dry, but not possible to do that in our back yard with our two greyhounds.

1 Like

They must have unlimited access to the yard?

I must have a failure of imagination. What does having dogs in the yard have to do with hanging clothes to dry? I have a clothesline and a large dog and don’t see what one thing has to do with the other.

1 Like

Yes, unless we put up another fence. Too much trouble.

Greyhounds run like mad things.

Sorry, but I still don’t get it. What does dogs running have to do with having a clothesline?

They think the washing is a game and will pull it off the line? My neighbour got a puppy last summer and this is what happened to me (we have a kind of shared back garden). She thought it was hilariously cute and funny. I didn’t.

Here in the hot dry southwest things only have to be outside an hour or two to dry. So I could leave dogs inside if need be. Two weeks ago I put a dripping wet blanket out overnight and it was almost dry by morning. I just tossed it in the dryer to finish it off. Lucky me.

Not like that in Ohio. Takes hours. The dogs would never make it.

1 Like

They run and kick up dirt. They’d run into the laundry or kick dirt onto it. Greyhounds run a lot when they’re outside.

I see. Well, there happen to be many types of clotheslines- it doesn’t have to be on ground level where the dogs could kick up dirt on things, nor where they could “run into the laundry”. Mine is almost up against a wall. Dogs don’t run into walls :slight_smile:

When I hang stuff on the line I don’t let the dogs out back. I also have issues with dirt, dog hair or even insects getting on the stuff I hang outside. In the winter I have a vent to vent the warm moist air into my home. In summer stuff dries quick. I have about 6 variations to dry stuff efficiently.

Dogs can be a challenge here too though, I get that.

1 Like

@muddy, the back of our all one-story house is almost all windows, with quite a bit of roof overhang, and the dogs do kick up dirt on the windows. Believe me, a clothesline wouldn’t work in our yard and with our dogs.

What is your method? I tried the “burrito” method several times, but that ended up taking more time than me just wrestling it in. Literally wrestling.

Edit to add: I have 5 duvet covers and only one has a zipper. I hate the buttons too but have trouble finding many options (that I like) that also have zippers!

I’m a seamstress, so I’ve always made my own duvet covers, which are quite simple to sew up. What I use is something called snap tape- it’s like twill tape with snaps embedded in it. It doesn’t take any shorter time to snap up than it takes to button up buttons, but it’s super quick to undo when you take the cover off.

3 Likes

I lay out the duvet cover inside out (as in the video) and lay the duvet on top. I tie the corners (unlike the video lol). Then I reach into the inside of the cover and grab the two far corners and pull them towards me and then shake out the duvet to redistribute the duvet into the cover. The vigorous shaking seems to be more effective than anything getting that duvet spread out inside the cover. I guess when I have lost the physical strength to do the shaking I’ll have to burrito it. LOL.

Hope that makes sense. It doesn’t seem like a great description reading it back. It’s like practice made perfect for me. I just kept at it and now it doesn’t seem that difficult.

1 Like

Thanks! Actually, I think I’ve got it! The only problem is that I only have one duvet cover that (still) has the ties. I suppose it’s doable without them with a little finesse. Why didn’t I think of this. Duh!?!

1 Like

My covers have never had ties, and I don’t turn them inside out. I just grab the 2 top corners of the duvet, reach up into the top of the cover, sticking the corners of the duvet into the corners of the cover, extract my hands, grab the 2 top corners of the cover and the duvet that is now tucked up in there and shake it around, like KKC does.

This is my current method, and it ain’t pretty and it’s certainly not quick!. Maybe I need longer arms.:upside_down_face:

1 Like