In my opinion, weird guest behavior

But they did “properly enjoy” the sheets and bedding. Just not in the way you think people should sleep. I clean everything no matter if guests tell me they didn’t use certain pillows or towels. I can’t imagine not cleaning everything.

When I was in Paris, my host pointed out that she put a top sheet on the bed because “you’re American.” I would have been fine without it (I’ve traveled a lot and understand no top sheets), but thought it was sweet of her to go to the trouble.

1 Like

I’m still not getting the waste thing. It really doesn’t matter what the guests enjoy and what they don’t - that their problem not mine. I just provide the place for them to enjoy or not enjoy as they wish.

But if you really wanted to do away with this, get rid of the top sheet and the bedspread. Then you’ll only have the duvet cover, fitted sheet and pillow cases to launder - saving resources.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but I really don’t understand this. WHY would anyone in their right mind put “decorative items” in a tiny short term rental that have to be stored away? To me, such items are just clutter, and I don’t find them “decorative” in the least, just a nuisance. I don’t have any throw pillows or purely decorative items upstairs. I don’t need more junk to clean if it doesn’t serve a useful purpose.

My place is nice, neat, and clean, and I get a lot of “sparkling clean” checkoffs, probably because it’s not cluttered up with atrociously cute pillows and knicknacks. I believe in following the KISS rule: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Not so simple that it’s a military barracks, but just neat and clean.

2 Likes

Our set up has a lot of custom made textile items that I am happy to show off and the guests appreciate. 222.00 =one night here, for 2. Nordling, whatever works for you!

2 Likes

I also do not see this as a reason to be frustrated. Everything is going to be laundered anyways so what does it matter? I am of the camp that folds down the sheets and blankets at the top of the bed near the pillows anyways so there is no reason that my guests would not sleep Between the Sheets unless it’s actual personal preference. I get more frustrated by those who leave "residue " on the duvet and try to hide it… as if i would miss it.

2 Likes

Now that, strangely, I can understand. We went through a phase of using a second duvet as a bottom sheet because it was incredibly cosy and comfy.

I stayed in a place with a mattress protector. It was uncomfortable and I so wish I’d had a nice duvet or blanket I could have put under the fitted sheet to have a more comfortable rest. But I was only there one night and I survived. A pox on hot mattress protectors and microfiber sheets!

3 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

Hi there,

I regularly don’t get between the sheets in hotels, etc. And bring my own blankie. Fear of critters. 4 planets in Virgo; what can I say.

I’m not so sure about the humble part.

2 Likes

I agree with you because good blankets can’t be dried in a dryer, and it’s time consuming cleaning them before new guests & too expensive & space consuming to keep enough extras on hand. I was just thinking about this the other day because last summer I had this happen so often & it really took so much time and thankfully a friend who lives nearby helped me wash the 4 blankets & I did the sheets. The only guests who generally do this are not American. So I bought duvet covers, which are thin & lightweight and I can even wash 2 queen size in the same load. When I have non Americans book this summer I plan on only making the bed with a bottom sheet & the Duvet with cover… my many non-American friends have said this is entirely acceptable.

I did turn downs on my beds, guests put the top sheet back up & slept between blankets… I did turn downs with a nice note with a mint on top politely asking guests to sleep between sheets… (I know it was cheeky)… guests still slept between blankets. Now I will have a bottom sheet & a duvet with cover for my non-American guests who don’t use top sheets & I will only have to wash the bottom sheet and the duvet cover. Wish I had started doing this 2 years ago.

1 Like

What constitutes a good blanket…a wool one? I dry my 100% cotton blankets in a dryer at times though I prefer outside on the line whenever possible.

1 Like

Truth be told I’ve put wool in the dryer as well.

1 Like

All my blankets are supposed to be air dried or they shrink. I tried it on one of them. What brand cotton blankets do you use? I’d like to buy some that can be dried in the dryer without shrinking. Thanks

One is this organic cotton Pottery Barn brand but I get my PB stuff on ebay at half price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pottery-Barn-Diamond-BLANKET-King-smoke-gray-cotton-New-wo-tag/183879284941?hash=item2ad00f38cd:g:IXIAAOSwSwJdP6Cq

The other cotton one is this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUNIWU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s not available at this time (figures!) but I paid $65 for a queen size 8 months ago.

I’m not going to swear that neither shrunk any at all but if they did, it was minimal enough for me to not notice. I’ve also got a retractable clothesline in my home that I periodically use, especially in winter when it’s very dry in the house.

I also use a polyester fleece one in the rotation and get no complaints.

That’s because the bed-making system in the US isn’t what most non-Americans have grown up with.

My mother’s generation used sheets and blankets but in my lifetime, and in most of Europe (including Scandinavia) we were brought up with beds that just had a bottom sheet, pillows and a duvet. Some of us may have slept in the sheets and blankets thing when visiting old grannies but it certainly wasn’t normal.

There is plenty of evidence at this forum ( :slight_smile: ) to show that I have only just found out properly about the American bed making method even after 25 years in the States.

I just have the bottom sheet / duvet thing in both rentals and can’t imagine what a performance it would be otherwise.

It isn’t any performance. Making the bed with a top sheet and blanket probably takes less time than removing and putting the duvet cover back on.

2 Likes

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on that one, muddy. :slight_smile:

We’ll have to time ourselves and compare notes :slight_smile:

1 Like