In my opinion, weird guest behavior

Well, I don’t even try to keep the duvet or cover spread out flat when I do it, so I don’t need long arms (I’m ony 5’4"). Someone should come up with an automatic duvet inserter- they’d get rich.

1 Like

Just a quick note if you’re buying new duvet covers … avoid the ones with the zips and get buttons. I can sew a button on in a couple of minutes but when a zip breaks it’s either paying someone for a repair job or getting a new cover.

Although as a seamstress, I bet @muddy could fix it in no time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jaquo Well, yes, I do have some tips re zippers- always zip up your zippers on everything before throwing things in the wash. If you leave them open, the agitation of the machine puts stress on the zipper and zipper pull. Also, it’s usually not the zipper itself that breaks- what happens is that the sides of the zipper pull that the zipper slides through get loose over time- you can often fix what appears to be a broken zipper by moving the pull all the way to end (the back end, so it’s completely open) and using a pair of pliers to gently squish the sides of the pull together.

3 Likes

Not to “muddy” the waters, but I again have to voice my dislike of all duvets.

I like total temperature control when I sleep. Anything from a sheet, to a sheet + light blanket, to the whole shebang. Duvets simply don’t allow that. I can throw off the duvet, leaving me just a sheet. But there’s no way to have a sheet and a little more.

Every duvet I’ve tried to sleep with gets way too warm for me at some times of the night.

That’s one of my serious reasons for disliking just about all hotels.

1 Like

I agree about the layers, so you can adjust the temperature. Many people get a lot hotter when they sleep after a few hours- I have a daughter who sleeps “hot”.
I love my duvet, but there isn’t any reason why beds can’t be made with a top sheet and a duvet, which I’ve been doing all my adult life.

1 Like

Layers is the way to go. A couple of weeks ago I was in a nice hotel, one of the pricier one in that town and there was a sheet and duvet. No blankets anywhere, not even in the closet or drawers. I was fine but my companion got cold and had to double up the duvet on top of her bed in order to be comfortable. Not good practice.

In winter my bed is made with top sheet, blanket, duvet with cover. More blankets are available in the closet. So if a guest wanted to toss the duvet cover and just use a blanket or two they could. I provide 6 pillows of 4 styles. If it’s extra cold I sometimes put an electric throw on a shelf where guests can see it.

I’ve never had anything but positive comments on the comfort of the bed.

1 Like

I do exactly the same in my guest room. Top sheet, and choice of blanket or duvet or both. Usually only the blanket is needed where I live, and in the summer only a top sheet, but there are often cold nights here in the winter, so I’ll make the bed with the duvet then, but point out the blanket on the shelf to guests so they can adjust things to their liking.

1 Like