How much is your damage deposit set at?

How much do you charge for a damage deposit? Mine is currently set at $200, but I’ve been told it’s too low. Thoughts?

Mine is currently set at 0. I’m curious if hosts have any good things to say about it. So far, I’ve only read about how bad the security deposit system and resolution center is at Airbnb.

Coincidentally, my current guest called me last night to tell me their son pulled a towel bar off the wall in the bathroom and damaged the wall. This is something I can repair myself, but it definitely has me interested in this topic.

2 Likes

Ours is set at zero, also. After reading many posts about how useless the security deposit is and how proof of damages and estimates for repair/replacement must be provided before the next check-in, we decided it wasn’t worth it. We would most likely be doing any repairs ourselves anyway. So far we have had excellent guests.

2 Likes

$100 but I don’t know why. I’ve never made any use of it.

My understanding is that they can unilaterally charge against a security deposit so long as you have enough proof for the CS agent to side with you.
Without a security deposit any charge you put through resolution center has no teeth - Airbnb won’t charge the guest without their permission. If you have no deposit and the guest refuses to accept charges you can still claim under the “host guarantee”, but that has its own set of issues.

Mine is set at $500, which I figure covers the cost of the single most expensive item (queen mattress).

3 Likes

$250 and supplemental insurance.

@GigiSuvari @Brian_R170 I think of the security deposit as a psychological deterrent element – i.e. if guests think their deposit may be withheld to cover damages, they will try harder not to damage anything. Accordingly, it would make no sense not to set any security deposit amount — do you agree?

4 Likes

We also don’t charge a security deposit.

Yes, I agree it is a deterrent. I have never used it, but what I like is the relatively small amount, which in theory could also be used for minor transgressions. It tells the guest to be careful.

A doctor once broke a ceiling lamp. He was mortified. It cost me $1 at the Restore to replace it.

2 Likes

Depends. I’ve read that some guests are put off by a security deposit and will look elsewhere when they see a listing has one. I have not seen any real data on it, but I do tend to believe it. As much as we all worry about guests taking advantage of hosts, I know that they also worry about hosts taking advantage of them. A security deposit is a possible way for a dishonest host to fleece money from guests. I have encountered it with seemingly cheap hotels in other countries (Thailand comes to mind).

If that’s the case I can’t tell. I’m booked at least 80% of my available days. And if it is true then what about the other variables? Are they choosing me in spite of my deposit because of price? Ratings and reviews? And since it’s not actually charged at the time of booking it must only be a deterrent to first time guests or infrequent users.

1 Like

No deposit here. Never felt any need for it. We only have couples, mostly older; and young mature couples. Not much damage to be done in the cabana anyway.

Mine is at 500.

My baby is too special, possibly time consuming or impossible to ever fix.

1 Like

Zero. Fairly expensive fly-to location and our price point is high enough and occupancy low enough that we don’t get rowdy parties.

1 Like

@Brian_R170 Brian, I never had a guest question or raise a single question or concern about security deposit. Frankly, I don’t think most guests even understand how the deposit works…

1 Like

I started out with $100 for a room and $150 for a house. Since my one partially unsuccessful attempt at getting $90 of the $100 in my home (I received $45 from Airbnb) because I have pets of my own (the damage was done by the guest pet but the guest refused to pay anyways…he also refused to pay for his pet fees which Airbnb covered fully the $30) I have now raised all of my deposits to $500 simply for the psychological effect as mentioned above.

Yes I, too, have heard it puts of some guests. I figure those are more likely the ones who are more likely to do damage. Airbnb is not my only source of income and I would rather not host someone who thought from the get go that they would be likely to have to pay some of their deposit on damages.

If I also ward off those afraid of scammers then they are welcome to go elsewhere. With the internet these days if they really want to they can easily enough find out who I am, what my reputation is and that not I am not a scammer and have been entrusted with things and people of values and numbers quite vast around the world and always have a lot to lose and traceable by the US federal government should the need arise…

3 Likes

$750. I occasionally have guests who ask about it before booking. I have claimed on it many times for damages and have always been paid, if not by the guest then by Airbnb. I just lodged one today for $148 as somehow they managed to smash the glass on top of the coffee table. How?? I have had no contact with the guest since before they checked in (as in they didn’t tell me) and they are yet to respond to my resolution request.

1 Like

On average, hosts appear to be charging anywhere from $100-500 per booking. However, a common theme seems to be that it shouldn’t be more than about 20% of the total cost of the booking.

Interesting. I’ve been talking to other hosts and, for the most part, Airbnb tends to side with the guests. To be reimbursed for damage, hosts have to provide Airbnb with pictures of what was damaged along with a receipt that it has been repaired and at what cost. No receipt, no reimbursement.

One host I spoke with has a list of what potential damage will cost:

Smoking in the unit - $250
Key replacement - $100
Etc.

He said he requires his guests to read and acknowledge that they’ve read the House Rules (which includes the breakdown of damage fees), and goes over them again when they check in.

That would mean that each booking would get a different security deposit price. That is not possible with Airbnb. Although a host can give a special offer price for the booking there is no way to give a special offer price for the deposit that doesn’t even get deposited…

2 Likes