How much is your damage deposit set at?

Valid point. To rephrase slightly, basically hosts should just remember to check that their security deposit is not significantly more than what the guests will be paying for a typical stay. So, when you adjust your pricing by quite a bit (e.g. lower your prices during the slow season), you might want to revise your security deposit so that the new security deposit amount will then only apply to reservations that were booked after the changes were made.

Paying for a typical stay meaning their entire stay? I have a brand new, 1 bed apartment that I’m renting on Airbnb and my damage deposit is $500, which wouldn’t cover a lot if there was significant damage done to the unit. Also, the guest isn’t charged unless a claim is made and until Airbnb determines that the host has a valid claim. Which, from what I’ve been reading, isn’t always the case. Airbnb has a vested interest in siding with they guests because we hosts are a dime a dozen. Some people don’t charge any form of damage deposit, which I think is ridiculous.

2 Likes

That’s not enough, especially for a one night booking. What if the nightly rate is $50 so a $10 deposit?
My nightly is 250 and a $50 deposit would be a joke.

That being said I do not even bother on Air since I have no control over it and it seems to be a farce. I do charge $300 on my direct booking site and Booking and VRBO

RR

1 Like

Agree completely. So, it is best to set yourself a minimum amount too of at least $100.

1 Like

iGMS, I have seen various responses on this forum regarding the process and the success (or no success) in reimbursement for damages. I am in the processing of requesting reimbursement for damages to our house. The guests who stayed recently damaged our bathroom counter top which now needs to be replaced and most of the towels and wash clothes were severely stained. As I am new to requesting reimbursement for damages, can you place provide me with your steps to success for reimbursement?

Photos, Photos, Photos… I have been able to recover twice directly from guests, the 3rd time AIRBNB covered the $60 damage done to my shower. The quicker you contact AIRBNB the better, especially before your next guests check in so they can be sure who caused the damage.

$0 also. I’ll be interested to see what others say, if they do charge a deposit.

We don’t “charge a deposit” as Airbnb doesn’t allow that. It is simply a number that COULD be used by Airbnb to charge a guest for damages but only if they agree to the charge after the fact as wellZ. Having it listed in the listing doesn’t do anything to charge the guest. Purely psychological at best.

1 Like

please help…what is a direct booking site and what is booking?

Direct is your own website- or ways the guest can reach you to book, Booking is Booking.com

Are you an actual host?

JF

1 Like

Yes absolutely…what is suspicious?

Thank you so much

This thread is a year old… Closing it for housekeeping.

RR