House Rules questions

Yes, a little research goes a long way.

Helsi - this is a great idea. House rules tend to be “customized” to the type of listing it is and the type of guests they tend to attract. We just might win the award for the most house rules on Airbnb, but we started with just two and the rest became necessary due to the nature of our listing, (we have a pool, hot tub) and the repeated behavior of many of our guests. Especially local guests. We would love to have minimal house rules, but that just wasn’t possible for us.

5 Likes

I think it is very useful to explain WHY you have a certain rule. Studies have been done where saying because causes far less problems: Example: saying ‘because I need to catch my plane as you cut in line at the airport’

Did you “steal” your Florida living from Konacoconutz like I did? I titled mine “important things to know” about living in an open-air house in the Caribbean and posted it on the refrigerator.
10 one-liners in two alternating colors in a pretty font (half house rules and half helpful advice), the WiFi info, and a couple of important phone numbers fit nicely on a 8-1/2 by 11-inch piece of paper.

1 Like

I was sitting on the beach in Bonaire, dozing in the morning sun with my eyes closed, when an iguana jumped up on my lap looking for food. You can bet I jumped three feet in the air!

3 Likes

I can’t remember. :slight_smile:

Ours is an attractive booklet with several photographs of the local area. I encourage guests to take it home as a memento. (Mainly because it has my phone number, email address and website in it :wink: )

I’m not sure why you’re replying to me as I said above that I’ve only got two rules. I don’t quite understand?

Hello Jefferson,

I’m interested in learning more about your “Air-rating” system. I have been having trouble with guests stating everything was great and leaving 5 stars in all categories except over-all category that they leave 4 stars. How have you been able to guide your guests?

Laura

Sorry, meant to post on the entire thread about this.

2 Likes

I have people go on and on in my reviews. I think it is due to the amenities I offer, which is silly in a way because they are so simple. But, everyone mentions them in reviews. Those amenities are: individual makeup wipes and q-tips in small containers on bath counters, individually wrapped toothbrushes and small toothpastes (handfuls) in drawers in bathrooms, extra tampons under bath sinks, extra towels under bath sinks. Basket of local potato chips (small bags) so people have something to eat right away if hungry. I think these things make people feel cared for!

5 Likes

You did, but the reply was to me. No problem though. :slight_smile:

Hi Laura,

Please note that this is a highly “charged topic”. Some people here will be very emphatic about what is right or wrong. Our view is simple - every host needs to decide what is right for them and their stay.

We have a comprehensive Guest Guidebook. About 12 pages, full of photos, some maps, many area highlights and places to dine. A section on the cover is similar to (using cool fonts):

Welcome to our Getaway! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay comfortable. Thanks!

Amy and Jeff

About Airbnb
Please note that the AirBnB rating system is not like a hotel . A 4 star review actually impacts our overall rating.

“Would you stay with us again? This is a 5-star review!”

Thank You for Choosing Us!

Laura - please note that there are MANY viewpoints on this one. Some are rather emphatic about “the right way to do it”. Others absolutely insist if anything is “needed” then the host or stay has flaws. Some actually speak with their guests about it. We feel that is rather tacky. To each their own.

We saw what some have done (see link), and adapted it for us. The results have been great. As we all know, Guests don’t read, so we try and keep it very simple.

Hope this helps?

3 Likes

Thanks so much Jefferson,

This does help. I have been trying to figure out a way to educate guests without seeming pushy or tacky. I appreciate your help.

Laura

I posted a version of that chart in the B&B kitchen, right where most guests are guaranteed to see it.

1 Like

this is a good format of usually the rules people have
taking this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it’s the small things that are thoughtful, and guests appreciate that.
We also have the opportunity to provide more eco-friendly amenities to guests. Your individual toothbrushes could be bamboo, for instance. If we all push toward supplying these Earth-friendly products, imagine the impact that we could make! :+1:

1 Like

Great suggestion! Do you know of a resource/place to buy individually wrapped bamboo toothbrushes?

Amazon. eBay. …,@JulieHere

1 Like

I love this! Will check options on AMZ

There is a front porch camera. Please do not interfere with the camera.

It’s best to buy these products from a company that takes in to account the carbon footprint generated, too. If you Google eco-friendly products you can find a company that is truly eco-friendly.