Holiday Decorations

I’ve just started renting my home in May and I’m looking ahead to the holiday season! Should I put up my Christmas tree and some small decorations in December? I’m thinking people would appreciate it, but maybe not? Thoughts?

1 Like

Only if your guests are Christian

1 Like

This has already been discussed quite extensively on here @Lisa.Kings

Probably worth you looking at previous discussions https://airhostsforum.com/search?q=Holiday%20decorations

1 Like

I will be putting a wicker tree with poinsettias up and some outdoor lighting.

I am atheist so I don’t do religious decor.

2 Likes

You’re renting an entire home? I agree that knowing a little about the guests would help. If it’s Jewish guests getting to somewhere warm for the holiday then no. If it’s someone coming in with family to see family or for a family that celebrates the season with a trip each year then I think they would appreciate it.

I have some decorations at my home for Halloween and xmas but I live here. In the Airbnb guest room I usually put one or two little seasonal items like a LED lighted snow tree or a placemat with poinsettas. I also usually put some holiday chocolates in the room.

1 Like

I’m with KKC, I do not decorate, that being said I do place a poinsettia & a winter bouquet ( cedar & pine boughs ) with couple of strands of LED twinkle lights, it has more of a winter romantic feel than Christmas.
I stay far away from the religious / Santa theme, & to be quite honest I don’t appreciate it when we rent over the holiday’s and our accommodation is decked out with religious or commercial trinkets.

1 Like

I agree with staying low key on the “end of year” holidays. Stick to secular Winter themed decorations rather than religious-based things.

But then here in Florida we string “Christmas” lights on palm trees, and the fat guy in red board shorts rides a surfboard towed by dolphins – an entirely different take on winter…

3 Likes

I like a bit of themed decor, so I go multi-whatever. I understand that some guests might not appreciate it.
Personally, I’m an atheist with Judeo-christian background, and we celebrate any holiday that is associated with yummy food.
In winter I hang snowflakes and wreath, put a little menorah and kwanzaa candles on a shelf. No complaints, and a comment it was nice to see the menorah. I swap out the candy dish for a little basket with easter-ish candy and leave out of box of matzoh in the spring. Sling a couple masks over the torchieres for halloween and have a few rubber bats, etc., etc. My 5 foot tall statue of liberty in the backyard also gets decked out for various holidays. In December, she wears a santa hat and I switch out the torch for a battery-powered plastic menorah.
It’s all very kitschy, and I think the guests get that. Esp. guests from outside U.S. who are amused by how absolutely nutty we go for halloween here.

2 Likes

Aaaarrgh! Do you not realised that you are now Jinxed for the rest of the year?! It’s not even September yet and you’ve uttered the dreaded C-word … In our family it’s strictly forbidden until after October18th, my daughter’s birthday.

Sorry, it’s made me feel quite faint and I need to go and lie down for a while. No disrespect intended to the OP, I could have not opened the thread but I forgot that “holiday” in the US doesn’t mean “vacation”

5 Likes

I put warm white LED string lights up on the fascia boards on the front of the house from about December 1 to January 1. No other decorations. The warm white lights give the house a warm/cozy look without emphasizing either the religion or retail aspects of Christmas.

I always have a Christmas tree because it’s my home and I have a tree. If anyone books around the holidays or - grabs Christmas week before I claim the dates - I will either ask, if it is far in advance - or warn, if I know I am having a tree. Everyone hithertofore has been excited and happy to have a tree. A lot of that has to do with locale, too. A lot of folks come to the Catskills to experience a mountain Christmas holiday no matter what their background. If I were in a more cosmopolitan setting I would probably use only white lights.

4 Likes

I like the idea of a Christmas tree. In Japan they’re buddist yet the hotel we stayed at always had a decorated tree and I was told that Christmas was a big date night in Japan. I also have Jewish friends that put up a Christmas tree. I think it’s becoming more of a symbol of peace on earth.

We stopped putting up decorations. Honestly it was just a chore to put up and take down, and more stuff guests could ruin or steal. It’s a ski town so I’m sure some people would appreciate it, but they are not necessarily willing to pay more for it either.

1 Like

I don’t put up any decorations, but will sometimes leave holiday themed snacks in their goody basket…usually if they’re on sale. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Christmas tree is and always has been a pagan symbol. The Christian Church (what we call Catholic now) co-opted existing pagan holidays (not just xmas…Easter was a pagan fertility holdiday hence the eggs and baby animals) to make the assimilation/conquest into the Christian system easier.

7 Likes

KKC I did not know that, I love it when I learn something new.
Thank you

2 Likes

True, just as the Day of the Dead was merged with All Souls Day (the day before is Halloween) by the Catholic Church and Jesus wasn’t even born in December. He was born in July. God only knows how much more there is that the public doesn’t know. Secrets kept by the church and government.

I complete agree with your sentiment. I don’t want to think about Christmas until after US Thanksgiving (end of November).

The US retail stores unfortunately have different ideas; They gear up early and earlier → Last year despite it being 110 degrees outside when I entered a Costco in the middle of August only to find the the halls (aisles) decked with Christmas trees and decorations for sale.

With that said I’d like to take this opportunity to be the first to wish everyone on this forum a very Happy Holiday (extended) Season! :christmas_tree::christmas_island: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I do more “winter” decor… and that does involve a tree… but the topper is a swan since my space is called The Swan’s Nest. No ornaments. It gets the point across, while being festive but also not “offending” anyone who isnt christian. There are plenty of things to do… wreaths- poinsettia- snowflakes- white lights etc. I even have a hot cocoa bar set up for the winter months.

I rent rooms in my own home so I decorate for my family in the common rooms according to our traditions, but leave decor out of the individual rooms.