Guests from China in view of the coronavirus?

And after all, Thailand and China aren’t exactly close to each other (as far as I recall) so I don’t see why there should be any sort of restrictions.

I think it was shown that masks don’t offer any protection anyway?

I only know there can be a layover in Taipei, and she’s traveling on Korean Air.

So, referring back to my post above, would it be callous of me to initiate a cancellation - I would, of course make certain re: ec first? As I said, it’s going on 6 days in limbo and I sure would like plenty of time to re-book!

*she messaged re cancellation, hasn’t done so yet.

interestingly I think I got a catfish message a few days ago, it was a request to book (I have instant book on so they could have just booked) and specifically said they were flying in from Wuhan and could they stay on certain dates. The account was literally created 2 days before, no verification and no reviews. I was able to say that, for my own security as it was my home, I only accept bookings who meet my registered criteria of verification and previous reviews, therefore unfortunately I could not accept their request at this time. I then went on to say that I hoped the Australian travel bans and flight bans would be lifted by the time they planned to travel and that they would be able to have a good holiday. Heard nothing more. Think someone was hoping to create a story of AirBnB hosts refusing guests from China (or something similar)

I am in Canada. I just had an update from her Majesty, the dentist. She says that the major sources of infection are Iran and China, and that in all probability they are underreported. We also don’t know what the kill rate is. Sorry to be blunt.

Canada gets a lot of visitors from both countries, and I host quite a few guests from both countries.

Truth is we don’t know HOW big it is. However one of the Health ministers is saying to stock at least two weeks worth of food.

Personally I would continue accepting guests from these countries, because to the best of our knowledge it’s small, and, if push comes to shove, there’s a hospital within a mile.

Well, it’s time to use up last year’s venison and last summer’s frozen salmon. I have a huge freezer but it’s full. I make soups and stews in the slow cooker in the winter so I have quick lunches during the summer, but didn’t use all of last year’s stash. A crock pot, a Seal-A-Meal vacuum sealer, and a microwave are the bachelor’s best friend. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Don’t do that, please. I haven’t found a supply of fresh game :wink: here yet.

Anyway, back on topic. Checked in two guests from Taiwan today, most relieved that they didn’t turn up with bright blue surgical masks! That would really have freaked out our neighbours.

In reality, town has loads of tourists from that neck of the woods, flamenco is really big in China and Japan. God’s know why.

JF

We have a reservation on GH; first timers in US from Hong Kong, business + pleasure trip April 4, 2020. In about a week, I am going to find out if they are still wanting and / or able to come, if not, they will still be able to cancel.

As it stands, more chance of infection from European guests, especially if from Italy.

JF

1 Like

And they brought us a present.

Mango cakes, all the way from from Taipei airport.

I’m not proud. Yum. Anyone who brings anything sweet or alcohol is a good guest in my eyes, and tummy.

JF

3 Likes

I’ve got a family coming from Hong Kong in a couple of weeks. They booked a few months ago as part of immigrating to my country. I doubt if they will be canceling so as long as they are allowed in the country I don’t think there would be much risk. Personally since I very rarely see my guests the personal risk is low.

I don’t know about this virus’s contagion. Could it be contagious to the next guests?

Doesn’t appear so.

JF

1 Like

I don’t know how long the virus survives without a host body, but I should think that if a guest had the virus, that it could certainly be contracted by touching things the infected guest had touched if they weren’t disinfected betwen guests. I’m not saying it’s transmitted through simply touch, that’s not my understanding, but if someone had sneezed or coughed into their hand, and then touched a light switch or door knob, I guess it could be a potential transmission site. I have always cleaned light switches, door knobs, faucet handles, etc. with antibacterial wipes when I clean between guests, from when I started hosting- there’s flus and colds and other diseases that can be transmitted like that, too.

That’s what I was thinking.

Also, I hope that the cleaning crew uses gloves and hand-washing. I think they could especially be at risk.

We have had our first death here in Washington State. While no one has cancelled on me yet, other hosts here are getting cancelled on left and right. I’m afraid it’s going to be a very dismal travel season. Such a bummer as we just painted and had our floors refinished. For guests that do come, not only will I be sanitizing more in between, I’m thinking I’ll provide containers of the wipes so they can wipe things down themselves to put their minds at ease.

2 Likes

I haven’t had any bookings cancelled due to the CV but I did have a dog booking cancel. They said they are no longer going to CA in March. And another dog guest said, “going to Mexico instead of CA for Spring Break” and actually added a day to their booking. No mention of CV so no idea if that was a factor. I just got back from New Zealand, CA including Disneyland and there seems to be plenty of people everywhere and very few wearing masks. I and others do seem to be more conscientious about hand washing.

I still think I’m in more danger riding in an automobile.

2 Likes

Yes, I would have said the exact same thing up until today when everything changed here. Our Governor has declared a state of emergency and there have been numerous press conferences and talks about potentially cancelling all large events, etc. It’s seeming more dire now. :frowning: I’m honestly not too concerned for myself, but I am worried about the impact on travel. Our summers are highly dependent on the cruise industry. While we don’t get too many cruisers, they are what drive the hotel prices sky high and in turn cause more Airbnb bookings. I’m concerned about the impact on our revenue when people decide not to travel and particularly decide they don’t want to vacation in a floating petri dish.

1 Like

Conspiracy theories are rampant these days, but it’s rather interesting that Wuhan City has a large biological weapons lab and that it is also the pilot city for 5G. There are some theories and studies about what electromagnetic waves do to the immune system and serious and legitimate concerns about 5G.

It will be spreading through wildfire in the US in a few weeks anyhow, might as well get your infection over with now before everyone else. :laughing: