Guests from China in view of the coronavirus?

The people will impeach on November 3rd!

4 Likes

Back in the early 80s a friend took me to a Scotland-Ireland rugby game in Edinburgh. Very few people stood when they played “God Save The Queen”, including my SNP friend. He said that he would stand when there is a Stuart on the Throne of Scone.

There is a collection of examples of the “articulation” of Brexiteers on why they voted as they did on this forum:

Read it at your peril. It will make you weep with despair.
Did you watch the LedByDonkeys video? The comparison between the WW2 veterans and the flag-waving antics of Farage, Widdecombe and their cronies is beyond irony.

To stay vaguely on topic… one of my favourite posts from that forum right now is:

"Interesting to see the two main news items on the BBC website.
One on the inevitable arrival of that dangerous lethal disease in our country today.

…And the other on the coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK."

1 Like

A Stuart on the throne? That’s a new one on me! These days ‘Flower of Scotland’ is accepted as the anthem at sporting events. I do remember the days, however, when God the Save Queen music was completely drowned out by the crowds singing Flower of Scotland. I guess the “authorities” just gave up in the end :slight_smile:

Which my friend played beautifully on the pipes! He told me that bagpipes had been banned from rugby games because for a while every game had several dozen pipers in various parts of the stadium who apparently never got it together to play in unison. :wink:

1 Like

LOL! Yes, that sounds about right. Just noticed that I wrote ‘God Save the Queen’ incorrectly :smile: Must have been channeling my inner Scottish Yoda!!

A lot of people in this area, some of whom we know from the rugby club, work for the Border Force or in the “illegal” immigration detention centre in Dover. One we know is a senior manager, and I have heard exactly such amoebic dysentery fall out of her mouth, particularly about council houses. We haven’t got any bloody council houses ffs. Does she care about the astonishing rise in homelessness? Nope, she knows bugger all about it.

Just one source of my despair. John, you are well out of it. If we were both retired, we would sell up and move to Portugal. Alas,the emerging perils of marrying a toy boy still in gainful employment.

Other locals believe it would be legit to go up onto the White Cliffs with shot guns to sink refugee boats trying to reach our shores. Others, mainly women friends, have found an App that gives hour by hour info on when boats are rescued or manage to reach shore.

Whilst I don’t usually bite my tongue, I have been garnering facts to counter arguments more politely than in my younger days.

My apologies; we were wrong about the HK border being sealed. I’ve just learned that health staff in HK are striking in order for the authorities on both sides to close it. The impetus not to is from China itself, given the current/recent political situation.

Nah, I can access the URL directly, what I mean is that in Airbnb Newsroom last article is from 29 of January.

No idea what the issue is but you seem to be the only one on this thread with this particular issue. Wish I could help.

1 Like

Contact Airbnb immediately. They cannot stay. It is not a race issue. When we had the fires ripping through our region, Airbnb cancelled WITHOUT notice and gave everybody refunds. Offer a refund, this is a, what did they call it? starts with E. Not emergency, some insurance term. In any event, Australia has blocked all entry into Australia of Chinese origin toursits, unless they are Australian citizens or residents. So you could just wait and see if they cancel.

Extenuating circumstances

Australia has now closed it’s borders to tourists from China, so possibly they have cancelled by now? Unless they are Australian citizens or permanant residents, in which case they will be allowed in. Perhaps follow up with them if they haven’t already cancelled to ask if they are aware of the new visa restrictions in Australia for visitors from China.

As of Monday 3rd Australia have stopped ALL flights from mainland China. They may already be in Australia? Friend had 3, had been here for a few weeks.
You have to admire them, travelling solo in a foreign country while the rest of the world wishes they would just disappear until it’s all over! Try to be tolerant. They will probably cancel soon.

Hi all,

Our guests came into Australia just before the travel restrictions were imposed.

Happy to host the lovely couple who are with us now.

Thanks all for your suggestions and comments.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks for the update Stuart. Just before you posted I was wondering how you were getting along so it’s great to hear from you.

Hi Stewart, I’m with your wife on this one. I had a guest coming next week which I felt unconfortable with and cancelled with a great deal of trouble back and forward to AirBnb support. However, I had a support person in China who was able to help me keep my superhost status.
I did however receive another message from AirBnb which I have added below:

'Your listing could be suspended if you cancel a reservation again.
We know that emergencies happen, and that’s why we allow you to cancel a reservation. But remember — cancelling makes guests less likely to recommend you as a host and less likely to book on Airbnb again.

Your listing may be suspended if you cancel too many times.
If your listing is suspended, it will not show up in search results and guests will not be able to make a reservation. Suspensions are usually temporary."

I would say that over the years 1/3 of my guests are Chinese. Very troubling times…
Pamela

1 Like

Guest from Thailand cancelled due to coronavirus. Even though she’s not specifically from China, would this still qualify as extenuating circumstances? I ask this here rather than calling Airbnb because she hasn’t yet cancelled (5 days).
I’d like to open up the week for booking ($$ greedy me) and know I could cancel without penalty, but she’s a repeat guest and only stated in her message to me that she “probably will” cancel. It seems rude (and may not work in my favor?) to do so on my end.

Any thoughts?

Mildly confused! :crazy_face:

I wouldn’t have thought that Thailand had travel restrictions? I know that their authorities haven’t cancelled the MotoGP event in March. (Sorry, I know that’s not necessarily official.)

Not that I’m aware of.

We’ve got two guests coming from Taiwan next weekend, my only hope is that they don’t mask up, it’ll freak my neighbours out and maybe cause me some mild grief.

JF