Guest who is a Host Requests Refund

Wow - so much for reasonable negotiation!

1 Like

This is why I have travel insurance every time i travel, that actually what its for and I have reminded guests this overtime they have sought cancellation for this reason. Is called responsible travel and most people with a gold or platinum credit card have this for free on their credit card if they use it. I have this AND buy travel insurance which is actually super cheap. I would not be offering anything above my cancellation policy, which as we now know are even more generous to guests than they were a month ago.

I dare say this is because she didn’t need emergency surgery and couldn’t provide proof. UTIs are treated very easily with antibiotics.

This is even worse than ‘thanks for reaching out’ arrrggghhhh :tired_face:

Massive assumption, sounding a bit judgement and critical here! Some hosts may be but majority are not, Think of the positives, They know how it all works, read the listing, let you know exactly when they are coming and know the value of a good review so certainly don’t want you giving them a rubbish one so they find it hard to book again.

1 Like

Oh my!!! You mean you wanted to go above and beyond and give the guest back the service fee too, and they refunded the whole thing!!! Crazy!!! Yeah live and learn, the service fee is on them!

1 Like

Yes. Unbelievable. I was astounded.
I escalated it and got canned emails back.
The worst thing was that when I hung up after the initial phone call to abb cs I was assured and comfortable that we had worked it all out correctly.
I had the CS repeat everything back so there would be no problems or confusion.
The CS I spoke to was overruled by a CS mgr, who changed the commitment between me and CS and me and the guest, and decided to refund in full.
I thought it was AWFUL. Suddenly I had a huge negative in my account <-$1400 >. Yes it was a lot of money.
Again, I have learned a huge lesson.

1 Like

I had her cross check her credit card. It was not covered by her card.
Now I do have a travel insurance requirement clause in my signed agreement.

I had one host as a guest, with a group, and it was the only very critical person I have had in 2 years.
She went into a passive aggressive communication mode with me, because I was not making her happy. So she would not respond to my texts.
Even was angry that we provided bar soap instead of shower pump soap.
Not happy that we used “heavy” glassware. Displeased that she ran out of paper towels, and we did not supply rags. Etc.
She Expected hand holding and I am a “stay away - give them privacy” kind of owner.
She was a new host. She felt I treated this as a business.

I kind of remember this story…I think. I could be getting it mixed up with a similar story. Was this the group of women who couldn’t figure out a reasonable shower situation - by either cutting the bars of soap or purchasing a bottle of body wash for each shower?

Curious what kind of place she had as a host. From this board it seems new ABB hosts expect endless paper towels, fresh milk for coffee, etc for even a group of 10 people, VRBO hosts understand if it runs out then you need to go to the store and buy more.

1 Like

nope different one.
We have 3.5 bathrooms in this house, and we put out a full bar of new soap in each bathroom.
Plus pump hand soap under sink and shampoo and conditioner.
Personally ( and this is just personal taste) = I dont like pump shower wash soap.
Hotels put out a bar and so do we. We use full sized bars.
I donate all the slightly used soap to our Meals on Wheels and they distribute it in baskets to the needy.
Generally Irish Spring. Sometimes another brand if on sale.
We do stock plentiful for our kind of house - lots of tp, in every bathroom + a basket full. Garbage bags. One roll of paper towel. Dish soap, and dishwasher soaps.
Oh - we do not provide laundry soap for guests. She did complain about that also.
And we dont provide beach chairs…we are not a beach house. We are 6 miles from Beach and 3 miles from city. Another complaint.
We do provide coffee, one half and half, a bottle of oj, some muffins and bagels and a bottle of wine ( just so they can pass on grocery the first morning).
There are 5 grocery stores within 1.5 miles including a whole foods and trader joes.
This kind of nitpicky is snarky and cheapo.
I guess she provides it all, and expected us to provide it also.

1 Like

As an aside, I purchase bags of wrapped hotel soaps (and other hotel toiletries) at the thrift stores – paying no more than 20 cents a bar, and I also have a couple of friends who travel a lot and know to bring home any hotel goodies for me. I go through soap the most – one in the shower and one each at the bathroom sinks. The kitchen sink has pump soap.

So here is the update: Victoria W., Dec 20, 11:27 CST:
Hello Robert,

We hope this message finds you well. Per our previous communication with you, we are writing on behalf of your guest Amy Jo. Airbnb has confirmed that they experienced severe weather in their location that prevented them from traveling to your listing.

Amy Jo was able to provide sufficient documentation of an extenuating circumstance, and we have canceled reservation TKTCPJ, cleared your calendar for these dates, and have refunded your guest in full. As such, we will not be able to provide you a payout for this reservation.

As you have already been paid out for this reservation, we have applied an adjustment to your account in the amount of $92. This amount will be deducted from your next payout until it has been reconciled. Please plan accordingly.

To review our policy on extenuating circumstances, please visit:
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/540/extenuating-circumstances-for-guest-cancellations https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/849/extenuating-circumstances-for-host-cancellations

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding of these circumstances.

Best wishes,

Victoria W.
www.airbnb.com/help

How nice of Air. They have now cleared your dates from last Saturday and Sunday! Sheesh!

1 Like

How do you have Travel Insurance requirements clause in your agreement? Is this with Airbnb?

Oh dang. I wonder if you had refunded a little bit and that would have kept em placated.

What hotel does that? I will lose out on the hotel I booked if my flights are canceled or delayed.

Air are well on their way to free cancellation no matter what the reason.

1 Like

UTI’s are very common in older people! But they would not be traveling-lol

I saw that one coming a mile away. I am sorry.
They took $1400 from me so look at the bright side.

I have everyone sign and return my agreement.
This is the clause:

TRAVEL INSURANCE COVERAGE AND PROTECTION :
Travel Insurance is highly recommended. We do not provide any refunds for cancellations within 60 days of arrival, under any circumstances.
Protection and Insurance is offered by online sites such as
www.insuremytrip.com or any other insurance provider of your choice.
Select a policy that meets and covers unexpected events to protect your personal goals and needs.
We do not promote or endorse any particular coverage. We are not insurance agents nor licensed to sell insurance.

3 Likes

Three little words prevent this - Strict Refund Policy.

I had deadbeat after deadbeat until I changed my policy to strict.

3 Likes

My friend, I have had flights make my guests’ arrival late and miss a night. I never refund the missing night.

However, in the case where air travel collapses the entire trip plans, I would refund the reservation with fees. A last minute cancellation fee. Once cancelled there is a chance you will have new reservations for those days.

I agree, it may be a gamble, but resolving the issue quickly is preferable to having the stress of multiple inquiries.

1 Like

Does this actually work? Moreover, do you think that AIRBNB will feel the same way? how are you going to hold an argument against AIRBNB customer service who care more about getting that client to book through Airbnb again, verses keeping you a happy host?