Guest who is a Host Requests Refund

I have a guest (who is also a host) whose flight was cancelled twice during their date of check-in. Thus they couldn’t arrive for their check-in date, however also cancelled their entire trip. I have a moderate cancellation terms. They are also a host and today I get this message today from them, just wondering what your thoughts are?

None at this time Robert… I am confident we will be back to the camp sometime in the Spring but have no idea when… Just would like a “refund” at this point I guess… I am also a host and hate these situation; however I too have had to “refund” for a group due to a snow storm last winter… Would like to stay at your place when we come back, just don’t know when that will be yet! Blessing and hope you have a very Merry Christmas !!!

ME (HOST)
I’m very sorry to hear that it’s no fun being stuck at airports and dealing with Airlines. Unfortunately those dates are already booked. Let me know if there any other dates I can check availability

Robert, We have been at Airport ALL night… They have now cancelled our flight TWICE!!! Have to “reschedule” for next week… hoping we can use this reservation to stay at your place NEXT Tuesday & Wednesday??? 12/ 27-28

Nope. Shameless attempt to strong arm you into a refund. Don’t let them bully you into anything you don’t want to do …

2 Likes

What would be a tactful response?

What response would you normally give ? I’m sure your normal response is tactful enough

I think it’s important to find the balance between being accommodating and standing up for yourself. Are you likely to have booked those days had they been open on your calendar? Will you save money on cleaning and resources by not having them there? Are you able to easily change the reservation to the days the guest prefers? You have nothing to do with the airline issues, and the fact that this person allegedly refunded someone recently is irrelevant. Be nice, and consider a discount or refund if it suits your situation, but don’t be bullied into it.

3 Likes

Wow, I hope Air doesn’t side with them. Especially on the medical one. Probably your moderate would be enough to compensate them, but I still wouldn’t let this guy come for the two days after the headache he’s caused you.

I booked and paid for a hotel in Prague. Do you think they would refund if I told them my flights were canceled? Hell no. I would eat it.

1 Like

He can have many refund with his card travel insurance. Normally that should be covered.

4 Likes

Here’s a possible reply:
I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve been going through with your travel plans, [insert guest’s name here]. I wish I could wave a magic wand for you and make it all better. Unfortunately, the cancellation policy is set according to the liklihood of rebooking in order to prevent financial loss. Our calendar has been tied up for your reservation, and we’re unable to reverse that loss at this time. If you wish to book again for next week, I would be happy to offer a discount of XXXX. I hope this helps, and we’ll be sure to have it toasty warm and inviting to make up for your snow storm troubles.

3 Likes

Good except offering the discount? Why? Robert did not cause the flight delays and it’s Christmas. I think he already said he was already booked for those days. Personally, I wouldn’t want this guest anyway, is is a host and wants a refund. Tells you all you need to know.

6 Likes

He doesn’t owe a discount, of course. I was just offering a hypothetical response. Personally, I like to find something, somehow to make the guest think I’m working with them. Of course, others may prefer a more hard-nosed response.

3 Likes

So change in events, the dates she requested are now open (had another cancellation… sigh*) but part of me also hates having HOSTS as they are super judgmental and critical (especially the way this is already starting to sound)

airbnb will issue that refund no matter what you decide:

“EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES” will apply.
I dont agree…but ABB will

2 Likes

They actually sided with me recently in one cancellation where the woman said she had a UTI and needed emergency surgery. They didn’t refund her the other 50% rather held to the terms of my cancellation policy.

3 Likes

As someone else suggested, some credit cards offer automatic coverage in this kind of situation.
Force them to call the 800# on the back of their card to see if they have insurance that they did not know about.
Good luck because here is the Ext Cir policy with the weather statement included.
Ridiculous !

Valid extenuating circumstances include:

Unexpected death or serious illness of a host, guest or immediate family member
Serious injury that directly restricts a guest’s ability to travel or a host’s ability to host
Significant natural disasters or severe weather incidents impacting the location of destination or location of departure
Urgent travel restrictions or severe security advisories issued after the time of booking, by an appropriate national or international authority (such as a government office or department)
Endemic disease declared by a credible national or international authority (such as the US Center for Disease Control or the World Health Organization)
Severe property damage or unforeseen maintenance issues that directly impact the ability to host safely
Government-mandated obligations issued after the time of booking (ex: jury duty)

1 Like

The client didn’t said it was due to weather the delay of flights.

I find the best response is
"if I can find some way to get another last minute booking for these nights, I will gladly refund you money"

then they will hopefully understand the logic of what they are asking from you.

10 Likes

The check-in was this past Saturday, and they were staying until this morning, which has already passed. They cancelled the day of check-in.

They should have travel insurance to cover this.

3 Likes

Then I would just stop chatting with him; its not a beg-a-thon.

3 Likes

Right… Nothing more to talk about. Move on!