Guest who is a Host Requests Refund

Keep us updated if he ends up filing a claim for extenuating circumstances.

1 Like

It’s irritating that jury duty is included as you can postpone jury duty up to a year.

This is interesting, as emergency surgery would fall under a serious illness (at least to me). Do you have any idea if the guest filed under extenuating circumstances and submitted proof of the surgery? Or did she just ask for a refund and you refused…and she just did the normal cancellation?

This is the process for filing a claim under extenuating circumstances:

If you need to make a claim

Claims can only be considered after a reservation has been canceled. Once you have informed your host or guest and canceled a reservation, if you feel that your reason for cancellation is covered by Airbnb’s Extenuating Circumstances Policy, contact Airbnb for consideration. We generally require claims to be submitted no later than 14 days from the original check-in date and we may require valid supporting documentation.

Probably her excuse was found to be bogus. Who has surgery for a UTI? Just drink some cranberry juice and cut back on sex, LOL.

7 Likes

Or ask your partners to wash their hands before you get frisky.

4 Likes

I found this on Air’s help page. I’m adding it because I find it interesting that they are now referring to trips as “experiences”:

What’s the bad weather policy for experiences?

Hosts make every effort to continue, as scheduled, with experiences. If inclement weather creates an unsafe or uncomfortable scenario for guests, this may result in a change or partial cancellation of an itinerary. If an individual experience is canceled and substantially changes the itinerary or results in a cessation of the experience, Airbnb will work with your host to provide an appropriate refund. Contact us if that’s the case.

They did file the paperwork, however I don’t think they saw the circumstances as servere enough. This is what i got from Airbnb: Hello Robert,

Thank you for connecting. If we find an extenuating circumstance has taken place we would refund the guest in full and you would not receive a payout for their reservation.

We’ve found that their cancellation was not made under extenuating circumstances, so it’s up to you if you’d like to offer a full or partial refund.

Please have a great rest of your week and let us know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

What is being referred to as experiences are the hosts who give curated tours to specific parts of their area often along with lessons.

https://www.airbnb.com/host/experiences

Thank you, Ellen! I had no idea that existed. I’ve been flipping another house so I haven’t been an “Air Head” for a couple of months (but I am taking this week off).

Thanks for the extra info. Such contradictory statements made by the Air rep. They say the cancellation was not “made” under extenuating circumstance, yet they say if they find an extenuating circumstnace has taken place then they will refund the guest. The Air rep. doesn’t say that the emergency surgery didn’t “qualify.” Because if she did indeed have a physician state that she needed emergency surgery, I don’t see how it wouldn’t qualify. Do you think she only mentioned the surgery when she was doing the regular cancellation? It sounds like the process is to first do a regular cancellaion. Then you can apply for extenuating circumstance.

I’m trying to figure out if Air waits for the guest to discover the extenuating circumstance, and if the guest doesn’t bring it up, then Air just goes by the stated policy. Air does not refund the service fee back to guest under regular policies. But if guest uses extenuating circumstances then Air does refund the service fee.

Thanks

I would assume they are a KISS (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) type of policy as most do. Don’t offer more than necessary.

I hope so. Because I don’t offer up that info. I only ask the guest if their credit card has trip cancellation insurance and I will refund only if my area is having a mandatory evacuation.

Keep us posted.

@cabinhost Ah, but there is the rub. You don’t get to make that decision on the AirBNB platform. If the AirBNB rep decides that they deserve a refund, there really isn’t much you can do. Or, do you have a way to challenge them on these types of decisions?

1 Like

…and use the toilet immediately after…

1 Like

Huh? I wasn’t referring to a host questioning the decision. I was just wanting to know if the guest (with emergency surgery) actually filed under extenuating circumstances after she cancelled her reservation. I expect that Air would have sided with the guest if she produced a doctor’s note saying that she required emergency surgery.

But the wording from the rep. was quite ambiguous. I do not see an Air rep. even calling a decision to determine whether or not the guest required surgery. As long as the Dr’s note is legit to Air, then I would assume they will go with that and give the guest a full refund. Air reps. have already told me they will not question an online obituary.

ABB refunded a guest of mine, in full, after the guest and I mutually agreed to a compromise payout, and a fair settlement.
Then, after we settled it between ourselves, …ABB stepped in and declared her cancel situation to be an “Extenuating Circumstance” …even though guest never filed it as such and did not expect a full refund.
That might be what they mean.

1 Like

Nah. Your guest went behind your back and didn’t have the guts to admit it. Documentation needs to be submitted in order to prove extenuating circumstances …

2 Likes

Nope. Good try and good out of the box thinking.
I brought this on myself.
I did not want the guest to lose the service fee when I refunded her for 2 nights; we agreed she would pay the first night only.
So I called into ABB CS for assistance and explained why I was issuing the refund.
A few hours later the emails started from ABB = the reason fell under their guidelines of extenuating circumstances and they were overruling me and issuing a full refund.
Blah blah blah. The story gets long…but I learned a lesson, and I am sharing it here.
Be cautious of EC.

2 Likes

I’m glad you provided context … your first comment made it seem like Airbnb’s involvement was uninvited and totally unexpected.

It was uninvited and unexpected.
I was asking for assistance to calculate the proper service fee refund and how to handle it.
They assured me all was fine for the 2 night refund + service fee; I reiterated, repeated and got assurances.
A few hours later they reversed their assurances, the decision of me and my guest, and refunded guest in full.