Guest Wants to Keep Bikes Inside or Assurance They Will Be Safe Locked in Backyard

Like these peopls who never asked permission to put their boat on my lawn .

1 Like

A bicycle is an outdoor vehicle. It’s absurd to bring one inside someone else’s house without asking.

We’ve had plenty of bike riders bring their bikes - we are close to the New England bike trail - and not a single one has wanted to put their bike inside the house.

We are pet friendly and the only pee I’ve ever cleaned up in the house is from male guests. My cousin’s son being the worst offender, but that’s a different story.

2 Likes

Your front door must have looked too small to squish it into the foyer :laughing:

Hehehe…seems like it. My neighbor called me in disbelieve . These guys never even told me they bring boat . it cost 30$ a day for parki g…so they made my lawn free parking space for their boat .

1 Like

This is another one of those things that seems like common sense, that most leases prohibit and most cities have laws against. House Rules need to be a whole book for people like this.

1 Like

Dang, you just made me update my house rules. We are on a lake and so far everyone has asked ahead of time but just in case they don’t, it’s there now for the CS to see. AND, this thread has also made me add another that hikers should leave muddy/dirty gear outside. We are near the AT and I love to hike, but that doesn’t mean I want packs on our mostly white bedspread, or on the other furniture. You’d think adults could be that but no, the CS forces a grade school approach…we have to s-p-e-l-l it out.

2 Likes

No its not. It is perfectly reasonable to bring a bike inside, and no more likely to cause damage than luggage. I have been traveling with a bike for years and not once has it been an issue. My current road bike would cost 4K to replace and I am not going to leave it outside. I would risk the bad review or host cancellation but like I said it has never been an issue. I remember @KKC posting about how some people unload the entire car full of luggage into her small guest room for one night stays, how is a bike different? If a guest is willing to be inconvenienced by their own luggage/property why would I care? Like I said my current guests rolled two bikes into my cabin last night and although there is plenty of room (unlike your studio) I have no concern that they will damage anything.

RR

1 Like

here’s the rest of my quote that you so conveniently cut-off. Surely there’s a job for you in DC, in case your STR fizzles out.

Why would a guest need to ask to bring their property in the listing? Seems to me its more about your need for control than any legitimate reasons. Glad you got a replacement booking and it worked out for you. Like I said, the mistake they made was asking you.

RR

1 Like

They didn’t ask me. The told me they were riding their bicycles to the city I live and host in. And because I know that road bikes are pricey and I also know that they won’t fit into the apartment they rented, I asked about their storage plans, in an effort to make sure they would be comfortable - because that is what a good host does. However, he was snotty and demanding and indignant and too lazy to take the bikes in and out of the basement and too cheap to pay for a larger apartment and generally a PITA so I cancelled him.

You also aren’t reading any better than a typical guest and are perpetuating the rumor that hosts make bad guests by suggesting you would just do whatever you wanted at someone’s STR.

5 Likes

Ok, you are right. It’s me, not you.

RR

1 Like

I usually agree with you @RiverRock, but not on this one. I don’t see a pet and a bike as equivalent but acting like a bicycle is just another piece of luggage is off. If a person could put their cat in a piece of luggage and carry it in it wouldn’t make it okay to do so. I have friends with Sphinx cats who could easily carry them into your home and you would never know. You’d still be pissed if you saw them walk out with them.

I also find it interesting that bike folks will travel across country with the bike strapped on the exterior of their car but it becomes a “precious” once they get parked. I’ve traveled across the country and across the Atlantic with an expensive bike so I know the drill.

I repeat, the issue isn’t discrimination against people with bikes, or with pets. It’s about guests who think they should be allowed to do as they please in direct violation of their host’s express wishes. Just move on bike owners (and pet owners) to a listing that fits your needs.

8 Likes

You don’t have to report to anyone why you don’t allow bikes. Yes of course we have to control what’s going on on our properties …it calls
“Taking care of business” .
You can’t reason with a person who thinks it’s ok to bring bikes into your property without asking . I had guests few times who asked me about bike storage and when I explained situation they didn’t book

KKC you nailed it here. And people want to make hosts the “bad guy” for suggesting that someone follow rules (edited to add or be a decent fit, not even perfect fit but make it a good experience for the host AND guest). JUST DONT BOOK IT if it doesn’t fit.

2 Likes

How would I know that the host would not allow a bike to be stored in the house? I have never once seen anything like that in the house rules, and this thread is the first I have seen the issue raised. Until now I would never have even thought it would be an issue unless it is in a shared listing. And I do agree with the OP that once the conversation started with this guest they should have taken the basement storage option or the larger listing. I just would not have started the conversation because to me it is a non issue. Live and learn.

RR

1 Like

And in this case, I don’t even have any rules about bicycles - we get plenty of bicycles but the bikes will not literally fit into this specific apartment.

1 Like

But there are 23 photos of the studio and if you really wanted to store your bikes in there, you could look at any of the photos and know that there was nowhere to put them. And if you want to put your bikes (or anything else for that matter) into an apartment, it is on you to look at the listing and see if it fits your needs (and your bicycles).

Again, I don’t have any rules against bicycles. Ultimately this guest was a twat and that was the problem.

3 Likes

And strangely @Chloe also just posted about people wanting to bring their bicycles into the house. So not only are you learning that some people think bikes in the living area are inappropriate but hosts are also learning to assume nothing. I never thought I needed a rule about no bikes in the house, but now I do. Bike can be locked to the ironwork porch fence that I have but they don’t need to be inside.

1 Like

Me either. This is making me think about it though. I was sincerely willing to accommodate these bikes inside the basement in its own locked cage (which others have been grateful for) and even in the bigger apartment, but I tend to want to be accommodating. No one has ever wanted to keep their bikes inside the apartments before so I hadn’t given it much thought. I am now considering adding it to the house rules but have always avoided making rules for ‘just one issue’. I’m not sure it would have helped with this particular guy because he obviously wasn’t paying attention to anything else in the listing either. And, really, he was a snot, and I have an unwritten rule against those.

3 Likes

It’s like the guy who booked for one and his friend slept in his truck in the driveway. I’m sure he thought it was fine. The friend came in several times and I assume used the bathroom, probably showered but paid nothing. Oh also ran extension cord off the front receptacle to his truck. New rule.

2 Likes