Guest Wants to Keep Bikes Inside or Assurance They Will Be Safe Locked in Backyard

Wow what a bunch of worry about nothing. The guest should have just kept his mouth shut and brought the bikes inside. That’s what I do. I bring my bikes in hotel rooms and STR’s and have never damaged anything. I have never had a host say anything either and if they did I would NOT be putting my bike outside. They have their own room in my house. They can come stay with me.

RR

This is not your problem. Just say you don’t allow bikes inside and that you cannot guarantee their safety outside and he’d be better suited to finding a place that meets his needs. Do all this via Air message system.

Contact CS and ask to cancel because you don’t want the liability.

1 Like

Fire safety. Two bikes would block the egress, sorry, insurance won’t allow it.

6 Likes

Finally, a host that would defend the guests’ right to bring bicycles inside! I would do just like you, not ask and just bring my bike inside after cleaning it. If the room was really as small as the OP said, I would pull my bike bag out of the panniers, remove the panniers, take off the wheels, and put the bike in the bag.

My current bike is an old one that’s now worth only about $100 if I were to sell it, but my next bike will be a $5000+ titanium bike (it will be my last bike at age 73), and it will not be parked outside. No cyclist on a trip will want to risk their main transport by leaving it where it could get stolen, since police departments won’t take bike thefts seriously even when bikes cost thousands of dollars.

Cyclists are not only endangered by drivers who look but don’t see us, we are discriminated against, whether it’s drivers yelling at us to “get off the road” when we have a legal right to be there, or by hotels and hosts that don’t want bikes in the room. IMHO this host is wrong, very wrong, and stupid to not allow bikes.

1 Like

Sorry
I agree with the OP. We have a massive bike race here and when I get booked by cyclists I insist that they keep the bikes in the support vehicle or chained up outside. Lesson learnt after the first year. Black tyre marks on my handmade rugs, tracks up the polished floor boards, chipped paint on the wall and architraves and scratched furniture. Dont like the rules, don’t book my accommodation.

9 Likes

But there isn’t room for 2 bikes in the room. I’m a really good host and I try my best to anticipate guest’s needs prior to their arrival which is why I asked about the bikes.

He and his girlfriend would not have been able to get into the studio once they pushed the bikes into the studio, they wouldn’t be able to get to the kitchenette or the shower or the toilet without moving both bikes each time. I am not sure if they could even shut the front door with 2 bikes pushed into the apartment, it’s just the way it’s set-up. He booked a tiny studio that is advertised for 1 person but with 2 people allowed with the understanding that it’s very small and an extra guest fee.
He could have booked my 2-bedroom apartment that I also released for that night but it cost $10 more with a higher cleaning fee and he didn’t want to pay that. He could have kept the bikes in the 2 bedroom apartment as the front door opens into a large kitchen with lots of space. If he hadn’t been a dick about it all, I would’ve offered him the 2-bedroom for the same price as the studio.

Great. So when you show up and cram 2 bikes into a space that doesn’t fit 2 bikes, I hope you don’t take it out on the host that you were uncomfortable.

I offered him a storage room in the basement that has it’s own lock but he said it would be too inconvenient to bring the bikes up the stairs.

Gladly. Though you may also want to check out his lackluster reviews and deal with his snotty conversation skills before you blindly accept him just because he rides a bicycle.

8 Likes

I never said I don’t allow bikes. I said that this particular studio didn’t have room for 2 bikes. I offered him a locked room in the basement and also a larger apartment that would fit the bikes.

You don’t read any better than the average guest, IMO.

3 Likes

Here’s some solid satire for you.

2 Likes

I just watched my current guests bring their bikes in on the camera! Lol, what timing. I am not worried a bit.

RR

I blindly accept everyone, bikes, no bikes, snotty attitudes and all. Heads in beds.

RR

2 Likes

There’s always more heads, it didn’t need to be his.

I’ve actually already re-booked it with someone who seems awesome.

1 Like

Let me guess, because the bikes actually fit into the apartment?

Yes, they fit. But all the other stuff that came up on this thread, rugs marked up and walls scuffed are no more risk then luggage being dragged through a house. as @NordlingHouse said, Cyclist get shit on all the time. Some people just hate us and I get a bit defensive.

RR

2 Likes

Are you sure it isn’t in the reverse order? :laughing:

The video is funny isn’t it?

Well I also ask for shoes off inside and cleaning Persian, handmade, antique rugs is an expensive process. Why would you assume you could bring inside road bikes? Same rules apply to prams.

2 Likes

Why not just be honest Call Airbnb say the guest is insisting he stores his bikes in your studio which is not an amenity you offer and that there is no room for them and you fear damage.

Ask them to cancel the booking.

1 Like

I’m glad you have successfully cancelled this IB. What a complete arsehole.

Going forward.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with an English Channel Swimmer (they think they walk on water…), who IB’d, but then started making demands about being able to shorten his stay if he got an early weather window.

I put this into my HR’s;-

"Instant Bookings are unconditional. If you have specific requests or needs, please make an inquiry in the first instance. " I’ve not had a problem since.

2 Likes

Clearly these rugs should not be in a STR or anything else so fragile, including hosts egos who have a need for control (not saying that is you)

RR

1 Like

Except people with dogs or cats. I find it absolutely fascinating that you and Nordling have the attitude of “I wouldn’t ask, I’d just do what I want and let the chips fall where they may.”

3 Likes

Bikes don’t pee in houses, or even outside houses. A bike is just luggage as far as I am concerned, its something I travel with. The idea that I would have to ask permission seems crazy to me unless it is a shared house.

RR

1 Like