Guest Wants to Keep Bikes Inside or Assurance They Will Be Safe Locked in Backyard

It’s the entitled guest syndrome we write of often here. “I’m paying and therefore I make the rules.”

4 Likes

Good thing he didn’t “ask you” about that ahead of time. lol

1 Like

Yep. Although honestly, with some of these military guys I’m a bit more flexible. Some of them are 19 years old. They went from mommy parent to daddy Army and no one ever taught them about booking a hotel, etc. I just got my third booking in 2 months from military guys who are going to stay here on their 3 day pass right before deployment. I now know to expect them to have a room full of stuff and to not know much about how to book an airbnb.

1 Like

I’ve been getting young Navy couples lately! New users and eager to do airbnb “right” and always super tidy. I’m loving them!

But they definitely require some coaching, though are super open to it.

So in a shared house situation you would keep your bike in your room @RiverRock?

I would not book a shared house situation.

RR

1 Like

The behavior was so out of the norm from my usual guest that it threw me off at first. I wrote a friend in the military to ask for some insight. Since then I’ve welcomed them and I’m wondering if they are passing my name around or something. It’s just a sudden surge. But yes, super clean when they check out and very compliant once you make things clear to them. No entitled attitudes, that’s for sure.

1 Like

I had one guest book and ask me if he could store 4 bikes in the garage. It’s a whole-home listing, but I note in the listing that the garage is off-limits to guests because I store vehicles it. The house also has 4000 sqft of backyard with a lockable gate and a 6-foot cinder block wall around it plus a 475 sqft covered patio. I told him he could put the bikes in the backyard or on the patio, or in the nearly-empty 8ftx10ft shed (normally off-limits to guests). He cancelled.

1 Like

Yes!

The first one was a young guy and I couldn’t get a feel for what his deal was. He seemed kind of weird (overly succinct communication/no information) and was from one town over so I was a little suspicious. I finally just said this kind of thing: “hey it looks like you’re new to the community, welcome, by the way, here’s a link to complete your profile, if you might want to do that…”

His response was, “Yes, I am new. Thank you for the information, it helps. I will do this right away.”

He and his wife got leave and came for her birthday. All of his communication was super polite. One of the most polite and thoughtful guests ever and asked a lot about expectations and fulfilled them. Couldn’t have been more than 20. Outright exemplary.

1 Like

Those four bikes could be easily worth the price of a car! I would have taken the locked shed in a locked backyard though.

I participate in a huge bike ride every year, about 2500 riders usually and the bike parking is secured 24/7 Millions of dollars in bikes in bike parking on that event.

RR

Yes that’s the one thing I’ve had to get used to is little communication. Not really forthcoming about what is going on. Like it lists out of town home but then it seems they live in town. I think they have been told to be tight lipped about who they are and what they are doing for security reasons. Now that I know the routine I’m happy to see them book.

1 Like

That is all you need to say. And he’s still pressing? Bully. They will be worse in person.

Just. Say. No. (it’s my new hashtag :rofl:)

1 Like

… a little bit of mud anybody?

2 Likes

@AlexSJ Hahahaha. (By the way, it’s beautiful there - is that where you are?)

I’m actually okay with some mud, it’s not even a tough stain, besides we are dog-friendly. This guy was so snotty he made a point of saying his bikes aren’t “muddy like mountain bikes”. Whatever, they still don’t fit into the apartment :woman_facepalming:

Yep …ride around the neighborhood thru the Costa Rican jungle and a river and up and down. We were a bit smarter this time and hosed them down at the beach showers.

Glad you got rid of him. Hitting the wrong tone, the music will never come out right.

2 Likes

Well, that’s relief then. My cats might puncture your tyres with their Norwegian thumbs.

5 Likes

Your cats are the best, it’s all the rest that give them a bad rep!

I have never booked a shared house, usually I travel with spouse and our two kids so we would not be a good fit for most hosts, and most hosts not a good fit for us.

RR

1 Like

Maybe I’m wrong but he sounds like some kind of snooty elitist. My road bike was plenty dirty when I toured in France and I’d no more refuse to leave it outside than I would to take off my shoes outside the door.

3 Likes

I would say this to the guest.
“I am so sorry but the bikes cannot be inside the studio. I will completely understand if you want to seek alternate accommodations.”.

Period and end of story. He either puts bikes outside or moves on to somewhere else. We own the property. We make the rules.

1 Like

T hat is not your problem. He can relax or go elsewhere.