Guest wants a ‘partial refund’ because mom is visiting

Really? I never knew you have to disclose everyone who stays in the house. I never do or may be I should? I don’t even mention other rooms but it’s obvious from reviews .
But besides that your guests are just being ridiculous and manipulate situation to get some money back

2 Likes

What is the penalty they are suggesting? I simply could not host these people

1 Like

I’m begging you, please put this on your Airbnb profile

2 Likes

The normal penalties for cancelling a group I guess. Losing Superhost status and getting a permanent review on our profile that says we cancelled them. I really don’t want them here but I also don’t want the consequences of cancelling them.

ask what the penalties are. Superhost with IB are allowed x number of cancels.
I still say CANCEL because you are uncomfortable with them…they have made it clear they dont want mom in the house they booked.
That would make me squirm in my own home. Cancel.

4 Likes

Have you ever cancelled a group and gotten the automatic review? Did it impact your listing if you did? The case manager said we can’t claim discrimination because the guest finally agreed to staying in the house with mom after they were given a coupon. So I guess that translates to us not being allowed to feel uncomfortable. He kept repeating that he ‘set their expectation’ for our property too.

Just say no, demand to speak to a manager. This is not about about Airbnb’s comfort level it’s yours. That’s what the TOS are. Airbnb does not want to have to put painful guests up at other much more expensive listings. Not.your.problem

3 Likes

you gave the wrong reason. They are responding to your information.
Ask for a manager. This has nothing to do with Discrimination
YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE with these guests.
UNCOMFORTABLE UNCOMFORTABLE UNCOMFORTABLE

3 Likes

We did say we are uncomfortable hosting them before we said that.

1 Like

Sarah: I really really want to be kind to you. You seem to me to be a type of person who is very giving, but can be walked over, and I risk doing the same.
You are not listening to me, and you have not listened to my responses since I began answering you a few days ago.
Once more, and for the final time. This has Nothing to do with discrimination. You are giving Airbnb leverage to turn you down, if you mention discrimination or anything that has to do with any topic other than the fact that you are “UNCOMFORTABLE UNCOMFORTABLE UNCOMFORTABLE” with these guests and can not possibly have them in your house. Repeat after me please…“UNCOMFORTABLE”
As @Emily said : "Just say no, demand to speak to a manager. This is not about about Airbnb’s comfort level it’s yours. That’s what the TOS are. "
So if you don’t want to stand up for your rights, and if you are unable to approach it correctly with CS in order to express your discomfort, then please enjoy these guests, and enjoy having your MIL sleep in your room.
In answer to your comment: Of course you are “allowed to feel uncomfortable” as nobody can take away your feelings. But they can take away your rights and you are allowing that. Over and out.

3 Likes

I am listening to you. At the end of the day it is our house and we don’t have to let these people come in if we don’t want to. I thank you for advice, Airbnb is just frustrating and likes to makes hosts feel as though we have to host people that we don’t want in our homes. But I get it. Instant book hosts are allowed to cancel penalty free up to a certain point.

2 Likes

Another update: We cancelled them! Yay boundaries :):grinning:

9 Likes

Thanks @Emily I will borrow this if you don’t mind for my listing.

2 Likes

yay for you !!! I am very happy for you. I hope it went under a free pass and does not affect you, but even if it does I still think you did the right thing.
Congratulations for getting what you want !

3 Likes

I don’t know why the first case manager told us we couldn’t cancel without penalty unless the guest agreed. We called a second time and didn’t even need to escalate to a manager. She just saw that we have never cancelled a reservation and cancelled it for us and said she would work with the guest to find a different accommodation. But I’m so glad we did it.

5 Likes

Glad advice on the forum has been helpful for you. It’s a great resource for these type of situations when Airbnb themselves aren’t always giving you the right steer.

3 Likes

It’s good to have people remind you sometimes that you do have a choice and are not powerless in the face of bad guests.

6 Likes

Say that you are on instantbook and that it is your understanding that you can cancel if you are uncomfortable with a guest.

ooops just read that you’ve already cancelled. Good for you

2 Likes

And I do hope it costs the guests and they learn their lesson. How many hotels have we all stayed in and there is a big function in the lobby, something under repair etc, do I get a discount no, I booked a room! Get over it. So many privileged people are so unhappy these days, complaining about the minutiae of life such as these guests. Pity they don’t know how to enjoy their holiday and be grateful they are on one!

3 Likes

They did say it ‘wouldn’t be worth it’ to stay if his mom is there without a partial refund before Airbnb offered them the coupon. Hopefully they find a place that is more worth it in their minds.

2 Likes