Guest wants a ‘partial refund’ because mom is visiting

Is this possibly a case of making a mountain out of a molehill? How did these guests indicate age was an issue? Are there common rooms being shared where an additional person might actually create an inconvenience? Do you promote the listing as offering a high degree of privacy, or state that you and your boyfriend are not home much?

If it turns out the guests agree that they are okay with the situation, it doesn’t make sense to cancel them because of imagined bad outcomes.

I would love to see the exact exchange that when on in this situation, because it appears to me that we are missing some sort of verbiage from either one side or both.

My boyfriend messaged them to tell them his mom would be staying and would be sleeping in our room and using the bathroom that is in our room. They were only going to stay for one night but explicitly told us that they were not comfortable with his mom being there. They knew we were going to be there and were comfortable with us due to our ages (20’s). They requested to get some money back and said if we didn’t give it they would cancel. Airbnb offered them a coupon so they agreed to stay after that but we didn’t feel comfortable with people who don’t want his mom around because of her age.

Our listing is advertised as private rooms with a private bathroom and kitchen access. Not as something with ‘a lot of privacy’.

3 Likes

So pleased you canceled them. They sound like creeps.

I would be livid if a guest in my home threw shade or made my mum uncomfortable in any way. (Can imagine some audible sighs whilst waiting for the loo or sideways looks from those people).

Hope this teaches them a little lesson to not make absurd requests, but doubt it. You did well by avoiding them.

4 Likes

Glad it over for you, after following this for a few days I just got the right response although its too late. Yes I will give you a partial refund, of course I will only be able to host you for 6 hours, my check in is 2 you will have to leave by 8… Or Of course I will partially refund you, I will have to remove one of the beds though… OO I have another one… Lol

Glad it worked out.

RR

2 Likes

Some case managers are like that. I once had water damage and has to cancelled 2 bookings. One case manager said that there will be penalties of 100$ and I need to send a bunch of documentation. The other just cancelled without any penalties

2 Likes

This suggests a certain lack in the training of Air’s case managers, then …

…oh, has this perhaps been mentioned before::wink:

9 Likes