Guest snuck in a cat!

I manage / own 4 entire properties with a total of 17 beds and I change those beds at least weekly on a loNg term stay! Bathrooms, kitchen and floors done as well.
Someone here had a 3 month stay and they refused to pay for a weekly service, those linens had to be thrown out!

3 Likes

LOL, then I guess I’ll fit right in here – I’m learning to be snarky like the rest of the posters (and respond in kind I guess). Perhaps not such a good influence eh? Said it many times but never seen a forum quite like this one. Kind of like junior high school the way people respond to each other (or maybe a college sorority?).

But to be clear, I am truly surprised if any of you have any any experience in this business you think bed & breakfasts are the majority or don’t know of how others work – or what the difference is. Definitely nothing wrong with that statement. If you believe so please explain. Are you saying I shouldn’t be surprised because this is AirBnB so you all aren’t familiar how non bed & breakfasts are run – or that they even exist? Haven’t private stand-alone rentals been a part of this site for a long time, like after the first year or two? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe I am.

Actually you were trying to tell me that. I’ll wait while you copy & paste where I said any of that. Thank God it’s in writing so people can see what was written and not fall for this straw man BS.

Okay, obsessed with my personal habits are you? What does that have to do with not micromanaging guests and giving them freedom? You’re coming across as voyeuristic or something, checking up on people’s personal business. Now you really are creeping me out, LOL!

We have more than that but nevertheless I’d rather throw out sheets than do extra work we don’t get paid for, is not welcome or expected, and intrudes on our guests’ privacy. Again, I would never rent a place who did that – ever.

I am dumbfounded that all you think that’s how most vacation rentals are run. Nowhere else have I seen this kind of blanket attitude – like rentals are all “mom & pop” cottages or inns. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The attitude of superiority that comes across in these mega-multiple properties so-called hosts’ posts is one reason why I would never stay at a property-managed place. And if I want to wash my own sheets, I might as well stay home.

2 Likes

Wow, now that is what I call the definition of laziness and entitlement. You have a private washer/dryer and you expect a manager to come do your laundry?? You’d be the first person I’d invite to pay triple the price and book a hotel, LOL. Luckily we have never gotten a guest who expects (or even wants) that, not in 16 years at least.

From the responses and lack of understanding this forum seems to be just for mom & pop owners who rent out their home or part of their home while they live there, just as I said. Still strange though because we’ve spoken to many of those over the years in other forums and even they know full well those are not the only type of rentals, but not you guys I guess. This forum should make it clear if it is for bed & breakfasts and room-sharing only if that is the case, if that’s the only concept renters here understand. We wouldn’t have joined because it would not apply to us, but that may be because it is a privately owned forum for a niche crowd or something, not run by a site. Not sure.

This is gonna really shock you guys, but half the rentals (mainly in the East Coast) don’t even provide linens.

1 Like

I’ve never done anyone’s laundry either. If people want to wash the sheets, they are welcome to do so - I make sets available if they want to swap without washing too. If I stayed in a place for 2 weeks, I’d wash my own laundry. It’s a rental, not a hotel. I personally, would be annoyed if a host tried to come into a space that I rented and touch my things. A friend of mine rents her home and she tried to enter to do a small HVAC check while guests were occupying and the guests actually told her NO, even though she could clearly tell that it was being operated improperly and costing her a lot of money daily. Guests do not want to see you or think about you, and they certainly don’t care about wasting your hard-earned money, or your time.

I also agree that a lot of the hosts here are renting rooms, not a full home, so the opinions are quite different. People who rent a room expect a certain level of interaction and accommodation. They probably don’t have private laundry… it’s awkward to do laundry. As a person who rents houses, and never a room, I expect privacy and I want ZERO interaction. I would never rent a room and deal with a person simply because, I don’t particularly like people and I hate unknown people sharing my space. I’d rather get a hotel room than deal with a person. I guess the only reason I would rent a room over getting a hotel would have to be because it was cheap and I was broke, or because I had some kind of strange request that would be difficult to meet in a hotel, like sneaking in a cat…

I am sure people will bash me for not doing laundry but all my reviews are 5-star, so I guess it’s not that important.

I also always get sparkling as a comment :grin: I too like clean sheets, and I clean, not only sheets, but every single blanket for my guests and i steam with a steamer to ensure all bacteria is killed on all hard surfaces. I am a great cleaner. No dirty rugs, pillow covers under the cases cleaned. I don’t cut corners but if you want interim cleaning, you would have to pay the 200 cleaning fee again.

3 Likes

There is a reason hotels wash the white sheets everyday, to keep them white… 3 weeks, greasy hair, ruined sheets.

3 Likes

Yes you will fit right in. We all need thick skin around here. It is worth it, I learn new stuff all the time here.

RR

2 Likes

No, I wouldn’t expect a manager to “come do my laundry”, I would expect that there would be enough clean bedding available that I could change the sheets once a week. And I wouldn’t choose to book a place that made it clear that washing the linens was part of my job, not the host’s. I would expect to take care of that myself if I was booking something long-term, like a month or two, as that is a living situation, rather than a vacation rental. And yes, I am well aware that there are some places where guests have to bring their own linen.

But just because those would be my personal choices doesn’t mean I think all hosts have to operate like that. I’m not one of the hosts who said they think your method is wrong, I simply stated my own preference. All Airbnb’s are unique, have different rules, different amenities, offer different services and I don’t see anything wrong with that.

And just because many hosts on this forum are more mom and pop, hands-on operations, doesn’t mean we aren’t well aware that the platform is inundated with multi-property managed listings. We are only too well-aware of that.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this topic many times now, and each time, my brain reads it as “Guest stuck in a cat.”

I don’t even want to think about that.

7 Likes

That made me want to edit the title of this post! I stopped myself just in time.

lol

RR

2 Likes

All hosts are different. It just depends on how your guests are managed. I’m sure that you could do it if you wanted.

Technically it is very practical but the subject has been talked about a lot here as I’m sure you realise.

You see, you are a landlord and most members here are hosts, that’s the huge difference.

That’s great in cheap and cheerful rentals but most of us here are more into hospitality.

5 Likes

Exactly, thank you hostess1! I was beginning to think everyone in here was a bed & breakfast or room share because AirBnB started that way. What was odd is not that I said it would be unusual to do laundry (or even share meals) if you were living with someone or sharing a common space. My question was to the OP that she goes into a separate unit which is what she said in her first post so I questioned her. Later she said it is in her basement so we cleared that up, which confirms the difference. But then of course the attacks and snarky remarks started, because even when I made it perfectly clear that we are not a bed & breakfast and rent separate, independent homes they not only didn’t realize how unusual or strange (creepy, intrusive) it would be to have someone come in to do people’s personal laundry if not asked or hired, but that one lady Joan insinuated that our places were dirty if someone didn’t do that? Quite childish behavior here.

No doubt. I’m newer here but that seems to be rather common on this forum and I’ve never experienced anything like it (well maybe on YouTube, LOL). I made the mistake of inquiring to understand how the OP went in to do laundry because it didn’t make sense and then she explained. However that seemed to rile the mob enough to bring out their torches and pitchforks apparently. I think they have a prejudice and resentment toward people that run several properties. Like we are all “big bad property managers” who sit in a high rise office and rake in money while doing no hands on work. Some probably do (and have dozens of listings inundating sites) but we are completely hands on, constantly. On site.

Can you clarify yourself Jefferson, buddy boy? “Their experience with me??” I guess you are new to how most sites work. You can’t review a property unless you stay in a place, but of course we welcome all valid guests reviews. Or, are you mistaking this for a dating site by asking them to talk about me personally – or are you mistaking me and the other members here as too stupid to hear your clear dog whistle to try and sabotage my business by having people here post about me personally? At least you tried to find us on TripAdvisor and posted a link from a residential community there, because you know anyone listed with them can post reviews without staying (though they can still be reported).

That one you posted is not my business but the ground where many business are – but be my guest and go ahead and try the same crap you pulled yesterday (after you posted personal info here without my consent, a clear violation of forum rules, thinking I would panic in fear), and then went and posted to Google reporting the resort closed like a 12-year-old making crank calls. You might not realize we are notified as soon as someone does that, but nice try. At least now we all know your maturity level Jefferson. I hope this kind of BS is appreciated by others. Is this something the mods here allow? I guess we’ll find out soon enough. Watch out guys, if Jefferson gets pissy he will try to target your business too, so be sure you agree with everything he says here :roll_eyes: I’ve made a mental note of your childishness and petulance and hope others are aware too. And before you deny it, I have a long time colleague who works with TripAdvisor so we have your IP address (…but maybe someone was using your computer or WiFi address when it happened? Just a coincidence, right?? ). You can try to delete the posts now if you want, but they’re already screenshot and reported.

That’s great and I appreciate the explanation. But you wouldn’t know it from the reaction I got. All was fine after I questioned the OP, but when I said I don’t care about what guests do privately during their stay as long as there is no loss or damage (or else they pay for it) and give them their privacy, that was when the “snark” came out (from Joan I believe).

Oh well, I think we have beaten this “snuck in cat” to death, LOL. :confused:

Most hosts, even ones who manage multiple properties, don’t consider sheets and towels that are provided in the listing to be “personal laundry”, though. Personal laundry is the guests’ clothing.

2 Likes

Myself and hundreds of thousands of others (like hostess1) can attest that if you were to enter a private separate property of guests you booked to do their laundry (their clothes, sheets they slept on, towels they used, check up on them, etc.) without their asking, knowledge or due cause, they would freak out and report it and/or vacate and want a refund and/or leave a bad review. I just don’t see how you don’t see that as an intrusion, but I have no interest trying to convince you if you don’t. If you put that in your listing and made it clear you’d be checking in/up on them maybe that is different, but good luck getting people who want a separate private home to rent under those terms. Those people would have rented a B&B, room in a home or a hotel.

Nice try, trying to claim that what I said after you posted identifying information gave you permission to decide to do so on your own in the first place? You’re not only insulting my intelligence but anyone who can read in chronological order and can see how and when it happened. Please, save it for the mods. Maybe you can hack into their computers too and rearrange the posts and time stamps so they’ll think I said that first?

Keep digging your hole Jefferson. I’m not the only one you’ve stalked online from reports I’ve been getting privately – which I appreciate as I don’t know everyone here yet, but apparently you have a history. It’s not only a TOS violation but just plain icky – please get a life. You’ll be much happier, promise! :grinning:

I can assure you, as others here will attest, that a) I am no lady b) I was not insinuating, although you choose to misinterpret the finer points I made, along with others.

You are new here, but have taken it upon yourself to be arrogantly judgemental, self opinionated, and getting it wrong most of the time.

Given the size of what you profess to be managing, I fail to understand how you have the time to spend ranting at long standing members in such an offensive manner, yet fail to hear what people respond with. Clearly you are unable to cope with opinions that differ from your own, and waste your precious time lashing out at those who beg to differ.

I simply like clean sheets.

2 Likes

Your apparent persecution complex aside, what did I say that was “talking down”? Copy & paste (and be sure it isn’t in your head that you assumed it was, but actually was clearly arrogant). Just like I copied and posted about your TOS violations. I am sure of those. I’ll wait…

That’s strange, (and rich) coming from the one who started the snark. Scroll up Joan (sorry, didn’t know you were a man with the name “Joan”). You and Jefferson seem to have a problem with chronology, but you forget it’s all documented in order. So even though you started with the snark (oh I know, it suddenly “wasn’t snark” now and none of us know what we clearly see) – are you and Jefferson related by chance? :roll_eyes:

I’d be most happy for you to join Jefferson in posting anything I said that was what you call rude or arrogant or a violation of TOS. Be sure to copy exactly what I said. And not in response to your snark, which I don’t apologize if I responded in kind. Trying to prove how it’s all in your perception and bias against what you think all property managers are and do. Sounds like you are insecure so when someone comes in with multiple properties you make assumptions and have a predetermined bias and apprehension about them.

Yes, I am new to this forum meaning not knowing the members here (though learning some things fast) and whether or not it is intended for OG AirBnB: couch surfing, room sharing and b&b’s (I don’t think anyone has answered that yet actually). We were not a part of it during its first few years for that reason, though were aware of it.

I am qualified to make the statements I have made with my experience on many forums and in the business, however. I didn’t say I was “new to hosting” or “new to AirBnB”. Sorry for any confusion.

If you believe I made an inaccurate statement or that I “get it wrong most of the time” please enlighten me on what I got wrong. By all means post and question it. The attitude in this thread has come from you and a couple others however. And yes, in response to your attitude and remarks I have responded with the same respect shown. Again, don’t believe me, scroll up and read.

I’m always open for healthy debate and clarification. After all, that’s what a forum is for. Now please post anything I said that warranted your snarky remark/insult. Because I just re-read it and it all started with you ma’am – I mean sir.

We did an in oerson ck in. No cat. Must have kept in car until we went back inside🤬

2 Likes

I always ask if they want clean bedding and towels washed if longer than a week ck in. Its up to the guest!!! I would NEVER just go down unannounced. Its an apt in our basement!! We have a 5 star rating CLEANLINESS being one reason we are. I dont do personal laundry…
We never enter the apt during a stay unless there is an emergency…no hot water, leak ect
Yes were a MOM N POP but we run it well !!
This is in our private home.
I do my own cleaning/sanitizing as well but only after ck out.
These ppl were BREAKING HOUSE RULES!! My house my rules!!! Everything written on my AIRBNB ad!! If they read it and agreed to it yhey knew NO PETS!!
And to HIDE ONE??? Knowing the rules ahead of time!??? EVICTION!!!
We advertise as an ALLEGEN FREE SPACE!! A lot of guests have severe allergies.
I dont feel bad whatsoever about how we handled this situation.
We had prior OK NO PROBLEM in our txt conversation and ask again upon ck in if they wanted me to come down to gather dirty towels!!! If they didnt agree… ok fine!!!
Some prefer MOM N PIO rentals due to the care and cleanliness given to the property.
Again… not a hotel… Absolutely right! My home!

2 Likes

You haven’t invited me to, but I’ll comment nonetheless.

The “ToS” you refer to is a fairly generic document and is from a legal perspective relating to the forum, and content. Maybe you should read the Community Guidelines instead.

Comments such as the above, while not being expressly against the Community Guidelines, are certainly not in the spirit of them. They are also ill informed, maybe you should read more and type less.

These are strong allegations and if unfounded, could therefore be considered libellous. But of course you wouldn’t post them if they were untrue, so I’m sure you’ll happily provide one of the Moderator team your evidence. You do have some, don’t you?

But your own comment, “if Jefferson gets pissy he will try to target your business too”, then if he really wants to “get pissy” maybe he’ll decide he’s been defamed, and target you.

I’m struggling to find much I disagree with in that comment.

JF

5 Likes