Guest snuck in a cat!

No, we’re mostly a bunch of old farts that want you to get off our lawn! :wink:

5 Likes

Quite a dialogue I missed; my $.02 on how I handle (or would handle) my guest house.

Unless I’m invited in, I’ve never gone into the guest house while it is occupied, let alone clean up for them. We all have our quirks and mine is cleaning up around people’s stuff. I already judge them on how they leave the place, and what TV channel was last watched. :man_standing::woman: :man: :camera: :tv:

I’ve also not had guests stay longer than 10 days. So I’ve not had to tackle the issue of change of sheets. There is a Washer/Dryer in the guest house and I provide a supply of Tide Pods, so anyone who is looking for clean linens has the opportunity to do that themselves for free and at their convenience.

If someone should stay longer (2-3 weeks) I’d offer to hand them fresh linens, as I have multiple sets.

At the onset of the Pandemic. I had several inquiries about longer stays (28+ days) and I was considering changing my model. At that time I drafted some new requirements that (amongst other things) would have included a weekly cleaning requirement (additional charge) & compliance with weekly trash removal.

I would do that for the reasons that many have already stated, to ensure that my property is being properly maintained and not subject to any kind of infestations or unsanitary conditions.

I have never stayed at an AirBNB or a “Vacation Resort Property”. As a business traveler, I became accustomed to hotels and having my room cleaned and fresh linens provided daily. With hotel’s new pandemic rules, that may all be changing, but more than 7 days without fresh linens (for me) is not synonymous with either Luxury or Resort. I realize that may put me in the running for :trophy::

5 Likes

Agreed @HH_AZ

I’m really struggling as to how this topic has devolved and blown up with needless insults. It’s quite simple to me, as having rented many vacation rentals with my family over the years (before airbnb was a “thing”.) The places we’ve stayed were fully stocked with towels and back up linens, as well as a W/D. We would not have welcomed the host coming in doing the cleaning! If that were the case we surely would opt for a Residence Inn type place.

If memory serves, at one place the host stopped by and brought fresh flowers and said “hello”. That was actually nice and not at all intrusive…

I have two airbnbs. One is a room in my own shared home, the other is a whole home rental.

• for the home share, they have no access to the washer and dryer. For longer stays I offer - at their convenience - to change their sheets, no charge, every five days or so. I always have their room stocked with extra towels in their closet no matter how long the stay. I will do their personal laundry for an extra charge or just direct them to the laundromat 0.5 miles away.

• For the whole home vacation rental (7 day min.) I provide one extra set of clean sheets per bed and lots of extra towels. As they have a washer/dryer/detergent in the unit I see no need to enter their space to change the sheets! (Nor do I sense the guests expect or want me to!)

I feel like if the unit has a washer/dryer, you don’t need to do linens changes/cleaning/etc, unless guest requests it - for an additional charge. If you are concerned and feel the need to check on guests, and your rental, there are many other “reasons” you can come up with to “pop your head in”.

1 Like

With apologies to the OP @Kcook17319 I am closing this thread. It has veered off topic and more than run it’s course.

RR

3 Likes