Guest left 5 minutes after checking in saying it was too small and not good value

Could have been the whalebone corset that did it … not very huggable

1 Like

That’s what all the girls have been saying! I would have to think he was cheating on you…

Sounds like you have experience, care to elaborate? Nothing like a good Mills and Boon between close friends.

@Poppy, though I agree with you in terms of this forum sometime requires one to have thick skin, at times we hosts also need to take some responsibility for some of the problems we’re having.

If I recall, you have had other guests in the past that were confused, or had different expectations of the word “villa”? If that is the case, then on Airbnb at least, perhaps it would help to avoid some future propblems if you were to change your description. It doesn’t matter if you are “right” and the word is being used correctly, if it’s conveying the wrong idea to your guests, then consider changing it. I think that’s all @Barns was trying to get at.

I myself, when presented with the word “villa”conjure up images of a stand-alone and rather luxurious property with lush landscaping and so forth. I am probably wrong, but that’s what I think when I think “villa”.

8 Likes

Drat. I knew it must have been something like that. Nothing kills the mood faster than two cackling ladies maids taking an hour just to sausage me in and out of my under-ruffles, then there are my over-ruffles! Just 14 bustles, 1 broken rib, and 6 petticoats later, easy peasy and done. (Forgive me if I butchered a few eras clothing history there…Shhh…)

1 Like

There is always Bougainvillea for sure. Can’t have villas without bougainvillea . Like the old saying goes!

5 Likes

No Bougainvilleas required if its a Bogan-villa :slight_smile:

Coming from Australia, I’ve never really come across the term villa being used in context with any sort of unit. I don’t doubt that it happens in real estate or maybe in Victoria, but the difference between real estate and AirBnB is that you get to look at a house before buying it and expect all sort of embellishments from agents and normally engage builders and lawyers before you buy.

With AirBnB you have a concluded contract when you book. That means, there’s a higher standard of accuracy that will be applied in the case of a dispute. Legally the buyer also has more protections because its a consumer in the contract and consumer law gives them huge advantages both procedurally and in interpretation. Bottom line is that any words that could give a buyer wiggle room are probably going to give them an out. Even in absence of that, a company like AirBnB isn’t going to want to spend resources fighting a refund dispute that they’re not certain to win, especially if fighting that case is first going to involve them going through mandatory Alternative Dispute Resolution where they have representation costs and no avenue to recover them from the other party.

4 Likes

Wait a minute…Now, who is Mills and Who is this Boon? Are they worth a glance when their shirts are off because they are swinging a hammer on your roof or what? It’s over with Arturo. So, I could use the distraction.

2 Likes

Good point. I keep seeing this here. Underwhelm with your listing, so they are pleasantly surprised with their accommodations when they arrive.

3 Likes

Smartiepants I see. Careful, my new Ozzie BFs do not care for your tone, smart Alec. Not sure if your name is Alec. But just steady there, Charger. :wink:

1 Like

Publishers of romantic, bodice ripper books. Think Barbara Cartland.

2 Likes

Hi Poppy,

I’m a new host and I’m astounded at some of the host comments coming back to you. I’m not sure this forum is the place for me!

I’ve found reading your posts really helpful - thank you.

All the best,

Helen

3 Likes

Hi Helen,
Did you read the entire thread? I suggest it. Poppy is well adored. Many of us (as are people on any forum) can become hot-headed and passionate when exercising our discourse on a subject. It tends to blow over quickly and is forgotten…or then debated further…
And then forgotten…
We come from all walks of life and you are rarely going to get through a topic without some disagreement and a little jab at times thrown in. It helps if you have a thick skin or the debate skills of a Harvard law graduate. :wink:
Cheers

4 Likes

Scones are ready for my newest BF anytime you want to drop by - Arturo makes a mean cup of tea.

1 Like

You are right, probably best to keep a low profile for your own sanity.

I see the bullying is vibrantly alive and well in this place! Thought I’d check and see if things might have changed, but no, a handful bullies take the opportunity at every turn to attack the person seeking advice. Pathetic. That is not being ‘passionate’, it’s being an a**hole.

5 Likes

Adored? @Icklemiss who knew you could generate adoration from complete strangers - just by participating in a forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Poppy Whatever happened with this? I read the whole damn thread hoping to find out what air &/or the guest said and don’t see an answer?

3 Likes

It’s because you returned too quickly to the forum to check, next time leave a longer period in between visits. :wink:

5 Likes

Long thread that maybe jumped the shark, but we also had a ‘professional one nighter’ same MO. 5 day instant book, said they left immediately, then wanted a full refund. They actually spent the night, and said it wasn’t clean enough. They actually opened up the antique cabinets and photographed the back of the glass doors where some paint was uneven, to document the ‘problems.’ She knew just what to say to AirBnB, even though she lied about spending the night, AirBnB’s mediator suggested we give her a full refund, even though we hav ‘moderate’ cancellation. We refunded 4 nights and ended up losing about $500, as we lost 2 nights of rental, not to mention the headache. These repeat scammers should be banned!

1 Like