Guest damage to the shower handle -- should the guest pay?

We have done just as cooperjto has done, submit damages to the insurance company. Another rental company lists our property on Airbnb, and there has never been a charge to the client. We have to foot the bill for an immediate replacement, but we have always been reimbursed within a couple of months. One extended family was staying here with grandparents from another culture. Somehow they wrenched the single-lever shower handle off the wall. It didn’t seem possible, but we concluded the grandfather did not know how it works, and was too shamed (culturally) to ask for help , and decided he could force the shower handle in a way he thought was logical. Some shower handles just are not logical at first glance, as to how they turn on and off, and so it broke. I, personally, like the insurance recourse, as we did not inflict our own “blame” onto the family, and just took care of it. I like the suggestions here to take the time to point out just how the shower works, and will do so in the future.

Having said that and been involved in litigation several times I would make every effort to be safe. Once that wall is opened up it is relatively straightforward to reinforce both taps. Bottom line: due diligence.

@justMandi Mandi, how were your words meant to be “truly helpful”? I’m sure you didn’t mean to come across as antagonistic as you did, but put yourself in my place and consider how upsetting it would be to you if a guest would cause your property a damage costing you $750… The plumber was at my place working 9:30 -3:30 and I have guests arriving in a few hours.
I hope your guests are more careful than mine; wishing you success.

@lizmillercht Liz, my insurance deductible is $2,500, so it would be useless to submit the cost to repair the damage to the insurance company… You must have a very low deductible…

Yes, you certainly are upset! Good luck and God bless you.

No deductible at all. But, that’s because we use this pretty fantastic vacation rental company out of Denver (we are in Hawaii) who lists our rental on Airbnb, Home Away, etc., and also provides no deductible insurance (they just paid us $3000, with no questions asked, just provided pictures) AND they will field all problems. We have never tried to do our rental business on our own, which indeed would bump us into a deductible, like you are facing.

1 Like

The last time my plumber worked those kinds of hours, it was a $2,000 bill so I’m very sure you didn’t get taken advantage of for that price. Your guests actually did $750 worth of damage.

perhaps the guest was at fault

@mexican, @justMandi, @Cindy_Turner_Dodd, @NordlingHouse, @Brian_R170
Update: The guest agreed to pay half of the cost of the repair and I accepted it; it’s not ideal but I need to be realistic…
I’d like to thank other hosts for your support and guidance on this matter – thank you!!

1 Like

Really glad this worked out. I was worried. I have a similar problem in my upper bath and it will likely take weeks. For now we are using a screwdriver for a knob!

What kind of review did the guest leave?

@Brian_R170 The guests submitted their review the moment they left the apartment; since I know the guests could change the review within 24 hours (I think that’s true, right?), I did not submit a request for payment until later. Further, I do not intend to review the guests, so I won’t read their review until the review period has ended.

I respect what you’re trying to do there. Maybe you see it like the guest has paid their part so while they haven’t earned a good review, you don’t feel it necessary to be nasty and add insult to injury now that they’ve paid. I know it doesn’t feel right, but other hosts need to know that these are people who break valves off the wall. You’re entitled to your opinion and this is all on you but I as a host would like to know about wreck-it-ralph before I let him check in. The guest has a chance to leave a public review. That’s their chance to say their side of it. If the guests really are conscientious, hosts like myself will see that in the public review. We need to know though to protect our properties because we can’t afford to keep hosting with people who do stuff like this.

3 Likes

They need a negative review along the lines of

“In spite of handbars, Tarzan and his family couldn’t seem to get in and out of the tub without breaking off one of the tub faucet handles which required complete replacement of the tub and shower plumbing. Cannot recommend.”

Other hosts need to know.

2 Likes

I’m in charge of hospitality for our rental. We have strict rules for departure and arrival, indicating we have guest sometimes leaving and arriving the same day. The first thing I do is I have my iPad in hand ready to take pictures for any damages as I walk through every single room, check every single space and immediately take pictures of questionable or damaged items. These pictures are dated and time frame so there is no question when the damages occurred. I sometimes just take pictures for record keeping purposes. Many guest want their deposit back saying they left things in immaculate condition. I can usually can dispute it due to my pictures. We do not greet our guest, therefore we require a “check-in” process in which our guest are required to read our house manual. Our rental is in a remote area of the sequoia national forest & we require specific opening & closing procedures. Theses requirements are indicated & are agreed upon prior to reservations. Despite being prepared and assuming you are in control, & have covered every angle, there are many inconsiderate, disrespectful people out there and you simply cannot be assured that every guest will be responsible. You are absolutely in the right to charge for these damages, but you must be your own advocate.

1 Like

Interesting combo of processes labeled hospitality.

3 Likes

Picky, picky, picky! He has to be strict, especially about fire. His guests could easily start a disastrous fire if they don’t follow his strict instructions.

So you’re not using Airbnb?

I have no problem with strict or rules or departure or no guest contact, etc. It’s the orwellian use of the word hospitality in concert with those things.

I definitely was posting with a twinkle in my eye but forgot the requisite emojis. It would be like saying the housekeeper is in charge of guest satisfaction; Airbnb is in charge of promotions, and the co-host is in charge of 5 star sleep experiences. :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

2 Likes

LOL Your dry humour is like Bond’s martini. Sometimes it needs to be shaken not stirred :sunglasses: