Got a booking during the COVID-19 EC window!

I just got an instant book starting March 29 for 9 days. I exchanged a few messages with the guest and it seems legit. He runs a land-leveling/grading company in southwest Arizona and is working on a public works project here. The reservation is for only 2 people which is odd for a 4-bedroom house, but he is trying to avoid contact with people as much as possible so he chose a whole-home listing with self-check-in instead of a hotel.

I thought other hosts might like to know a reason guest might be booking. It actually kinda lines up with the things the Airbnb is pushing to hosts now

I really hope he doesn’t cancel now because a 9-day booking covers all of the expenses for my listing (except for the mortgage principle) for 2 months. Combine that with my previous guest’s 4-day reservation that was in the COVID EC window but didn’t get cancelled and I’m breaking even until July 1 in spite of COVID-19. And July 1 happens to also be the day the mortgage will be paid off.

4 Likes

Difficult one It might be in line with Airbnb’s policy but it goes against all international health best practice and evidence in helping contain the spread of the virus. I

In the UK hosts can no longer take an STR bookings (legislation introduced last week) UNLESS it is for an essential key worker as our emphasis is on containing and reducing the spread of the virus - and travel/contact is one of the major factors in spreading it. @Brian_R170

We like the US, are only a few weeks behind Italy in terms of cases and mortalities and have to put stringent restrictions in place, so our health services aren’t overwhelmed and we don’t see the sort of levels of deaths, we are seeing in Italy which still estimates it has another two weeks to go before it hits its peak.

We all need to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

1 Like

Good luck; I’m glad that there is some positive revenue coming your way.

I think while business will be slow there will be some opportunity as you’ve described. AZ hasn’t completely shut down, and I think reasons like yours and family situations will drive some business. And I agree that there is something about staying in a home rather than a hotel that seems safer to some.

I’ve had a couple of requests this week:

• the first one I wasn’t comfortable with: 2 young “business travelers” arriving on Thursday leaving on Sunday, with no reviews
  • The second was someone looking for a place for his parents who had left Mexico before the boarder closed. I told him I was refraining from hosting but leaving open for health / family / emergency situations. I declined but told him that if he wasn’t able to find somewhere else to reconnect and I’d reconsider.

Public works projects are considered essential (for now). I don’t know what the construction is specifically for, though.

My thought is that since it’s a government-sponsored construction project and the government wants it to continue, then these two people are going to stay somewhere. I hope my listing isn’t somehow worse than anywhere else they could stay.

I am surprised at how often our 3 BR 2 full bath, 2000 sq ft place rents to just a couple. And no, I don’t charge rock bottom prices.

On VRBO, I get this cool ‘congrats! (with virtual confetti) you won a booking’ feature that shows what other properties a guest shopped before booking. I am always near or at the top price the guest considered. In one case, a guest that was just a couple, no pets, shopped 25 other places and I was either the most expensive or the 2nd most of all of them.

I second guessed the bed setup in the house a hundred times before committing to it, but ultimately decided to set it up just how we wanted to live and host guests in it ourselves, and sell the ‘not a bunkhouse’ feature. It naturally deters large parties and I am glad I want with my gut and decided to offer and market something unique (“dog friendliest VR in the county”) and we are getting the kind of groups we like, i.e are comfortable hosting.

Key workers are those essential to the running of the country and for our health and care ie doctors, nurses, care workers, those working for our transport systems, , supermarket workers, post office etc.

I am not sure that construction workers are on that list whether for a government project or not?

I think you are from the US. Sadly that is a government with its head in the sand who are talking about America getting back to normal at Easter so I am not sure whether your government wanting the construction project to continue is a good indicator for you to decide whether to take this booking.

Is there somewhere you can check in the US to see who is covered as a key worker.

To me my guide for booking is not if I don’t do it someone will take them. It’s I need to be part of the solution and if the person is not providing care or is not a locally based key worker then they aren’t staying.

Funny how they only define workers in the tertiary industry as “key workers”.

Workers in the primary and secondary industry are not defined separately because they are all considered as key workers.

Factory workers, farmers and many others are all expected to work.

‘They’ don’t - I just gave a few random examples. Of course farmers are key workers.

I am not sure all factory workers would be defined as key workers but rather those involved in the production of the food chain.

This article includes a list of what the UK defines as key workers.

I haven’t heard anywhere that EVERYONE who works in the primary and secondary industries are considered as key workers in the context of this virus - any authoratative links showing this in the context of the virus would be good. @Chris

Even if he were to cancel, it the EC automatic refund no long applies. (for now) .

Our response to the COVID-19 pandemic

We are now offering Guests full refunds and Hosts no charge cancellations for reservations booked on or before March 14th with a check in date of April 14th or earlier. Please note this policy will not cover any new bookings.

Learn more

Congratulations to you. The lesson many, (including Chesky), are learning is that hogs get slaughtered. I feel very fortunate that I was able to do so many things with my Airbnb money including adding to the home. No matter what happens I have that equity, I have the ability to turn to a roomie or other kinds of rental if I need the money. If not for Airbnb I never would have done it.

If you are directing this comment to Brian I think it’s misdirected.

Yes he is.

No there isn’t.

I don’t know if you have traveled to the US or not. And even if you have it’s a big country with a great deal of diversity. I think you have a general idea of how our federal system works. But let me add some details for anyone reading who doesn’t. Roads are built under state contracts. The national government provides funds but not the nuts and bolts of the work. The national government is supreme in matters involving interstate commerce but state governments are supreme within their borders. So until and unless Trump orders a nationwide shutdown (which he seems unlikely to do but that could change) using emergency powers, road construction could go on for weeks in various states. Arizona has a Republican dominated state government as do many other states. Many of those states are continuing a business as usual model.

If I were Brian I would take the booking. Better me than someone even less responsible.

I know you mean well but your understanding of American culture seems to be lacking. Have you seen the polling that half of Americans think Trump is doing a good job? That should tell you what you need to know about what is going on here.

All that said, @Brian_R170, I’d not expect anything until the stay is complete.

3 Likes

Hi @KKC

My point about us all being part of the solution was just that. Definitely not aimed directly at @Brian_R170 - that’s why I said all, not you :slight_smile:

I have lived in the US (Boston) and travelled a bit -, Wisconsin, Florida, Chicago, San Fran, Los Angeles, New York as I have lots of family that live there, but wouldn’t say I know it well. My family constantly remind me how different US is to Europe :slight_smile:

I have seen the US polling - it’s difficult as I think I mentioned in another post. It’s very hard for the US public you have your president saying one thing (that changes quite often) and different states saying something else.

I think a lock down in the US will be difficult because culturally there is a different mindset than in Europe and the Far East and you will have certain elements that will rail against it.

1 Like

I was talking to my New Zealand resident friend yesterday. She was born and raised in the US and has lived in AK, TN, NY state and central TX. She has lived in Switzerland, Israel, Brazil, China and NZ. She has traveled extensively. She is the smartest person I know. She thinks the US needs to impose martial law to force the needed conformity to best practices.

I just can’t see that happening. The pile of bodies in the corner that Bill Gates is imagining would have to become reality. We already had one civil war due to people refusing to do what’s right and many of their descendants don’t even realize they lost that war. I believe widespread civil unrest by armed citizens who think they have a god given and Constitutional right to take up arms against the government isn’t outside the realm of possibility. (to be clear, I don’t agree with them, just saying they exist. In most of the world they would be considered insane and criminal)

So all this is to say that even someone who has lived in the US a lot might not quite understand the culture here. I hope I’m the one misjudging it but I’m not seeing the evidence yet that I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Currently, such lists are per-state, not for the entire US. The Arizona governers’ office published a list of essential services a few days ago.

2 Likes

That’s a great resource for you @Brian_R170

That is quite a list. I called to see about getting a new window installed and the company I called who did installs for me previously is closed. I don’t know if it’s due to their choice or if they thought they had to. If my city has a similar list I would still be able to have a contractor get a window at Home Depot and install it for me.

Or against their neighbors, as is already happening here:

This was likely in response to the recent influx of out of state folks (many from NY) who are fleeing to the perceived “safety” here in Maine.

Well, yes, that goes without saying. I own a gun for two reasons 1) it was my dad’s and one of my few fond memories of him is the two of us rabbit hunting when I was about 4. 2) to protect myself from gun nuts.

2 Likes

I keep my guns in my bedroom closet, locked with a cable but the key is where I can find it in the dark. There are 3 shotgun shells right there. I load them rock salt-buckshot-slug. But I suspect that when I pump the gun loudly (CLACK-CLACK!) and yell “Who’s there?” whoever is there will start running.

Ha, yeah, if it’s a single criminal or maybe a pair. Mine is a 20 ga. breech loader so not so intimidating sound wise. But as long as I have dogs that can hear they are going to get someone running much faster than this old lady can.

As an aside, my bachelor’s degree is in Criminal Justice and so I learned lot about crime fighting in my youth. We we taught that having an escape route and plan was much more effective than gun owning (and this was from a quite gun loving cohort.) So when I remodeled my home 20 years ago I put an exit out my bedroom to the backyard. And of course now we have our portable phones. So if I hear something suspicous I’ll be grabbing my phone and heading out the back. That will be much better and safer than trying to load a gun and going to confront someone. And god help me if I ever have to kill someone as that clearly would ruin my life.

3 Likes

Hi Helsi - I’m in construction in Ontario, Canada and we are currently deemed an essential business. Just last Friday we were issued letters to have in our vehicles incase we were stopped by police outlining our position within our company and government listing us as essential. My company has been very generous in that the have told us to work from home for 30 days and only under approval go to a field site but it must be business critical - so far none of us have left home. I honestly think the Ontario government will end up shutting down construction in the next week or so but right now it’s listed as essential.

1 Like