Extra guests refusing to pay

I am glad you asked. I was lucky that he asked me about blankets 4 hours away from thehouse. They were driving.
Thats how converstaion went:
Me : why you need extra blankets?
He: we need it for air bags
Me: why are you bringing airbags? You said its 8 people, couple. There are 5 queen, and twin beds there. How many people are you actually bringing with you?
He: o, its 8 adults
Me: And… how many children?
He: 4 small kids. (3 of them were teens)
Me: My house is not set for 12 people, and it says in my rules DO NOT BRING MORE THAN 8. Did you read my rules?
He: Yes, but i thought because there is NO extra charge for additional people 4 small kids are not goin gto be much problem
Me;Additional people means nothing in this case since my maximum stays at 8. Ok, if you want to bring 4 more, you will have to pay extra.
He: How much extra?
Me:25$ per person, so its another 100$ a day.
He: Ok, but we will pay you in the morning.
Me: no, you will pat me upon check in. I will not let you in a house before i get paid.
He; You know, the sdtandard charge on Air is 10$ per person, you are charging too much. (Meaning, i lied about my intentions to pay in the morning)

At this point i am ready to cancell this guest as he he was obviously lying to me just to get in a house and had no intentions to pay my additional fees.
So, i call AIr, and think that thats it ii am going to loose 1500$ in a busiest time of the year.
And HE WAS MY FIRST GUEST A THAT LISTING.
Wheni got someone on a phone, the guy said: why they keep on doing this ;bringin more people that they booked for. And this is when he told me about 2 options. Resolution center i declined right away,as i knew the guys is not going to pay me.
But here is the best part coming. After representative explained to me that i still will be paid to my huge surprise, i thought that those day will be blocked and i can not rent it again.
But then next day i got a booking for partially these days.
The guy asked me later to refund him, and i did but only for days that were rented again, though i did not have to, just wanted to be a good guy:)

5 Likes

Thank you so much Yana!! Very helpful! And thank you for responding so quickly.
Did you actually get paid like you were promised?
Another thing - what airbnb Tel # did you call - and - how did you find the right one for your area? I am not sure where you are… I am in BC, Canada
Thank you again.

PS: I am pretty new to the Forum - how do I write something - join in the discussion on this great and very helpful Forum ?

I think I just found out…

1 Like

I got paid the very next day as i would be without cancelation

One more question - under these circumstances, would that be ok to accept money for the extras? I thought it is a no no…
Thanks again.

1 Like

Actually I remembered this morning a story (I think ‘Scandal in Bohemia’, a Sherlock Holmes story), where he used that ruse to trick a suspect into believing there was a real fire, and thus run to save a precious document before running out; Holmes needed the document to nail him.

I love that story. It’s a woman who Sherlock tricks in to showing him where her document is hidden by crying fire. She was the only woman whom Sherlock ever falls in love with because she is as smart as he is. It turns out that the coward is the person who hired Sherlock and that the woman is too ethical to use the document.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the one. Irene Adler! Finally came to mind.

Well, I guess I won’t be reading the book now.

Hahaha. We totally spoiled it for you. Any other books you were intending to read and DON’T want to know the ending? LoL

1 Like

Irené Adler THE WOMAN! Love that story

Oh no you don’t…I’m onto you.

I’ve got two unread books on my night table, the titles of which will remain nameless.

P.S. I just look stupid.

2 Likes

WHat do you mean, money is a no no?? Of course its ok.

LoL. Come to think about it @SandyToes I don’t remember you updating any photos of your place lately. Best to use a good camera with a zoom lens, close ups of all the furniture pieces is always a good move.

Ok I am glad you said that. Please bear with me as I am still learning…
It was my understanding that Airbnb does not allow money exchange between the host and the guest. After your response I did more research and I see that there are certain circumstances that it is ok to do so.
Still a bit tricky - you can’t take cash, you have to go through Resolution Center. And then it is up to them. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

For people who aren’t already watching the BBC TV series “Sherlock”, the adapation “A Scandal in Belgravia” is quite entertaining.

1 Like

I dont think Airbnb is in a position to allow or not allow anything. Of course when you communicate through their website you will need to make a transaction through them but then when a guest is in your house , you are free to make any arrangements that follow.as you wish. What if a reservation is finished, and a guest wants to stay longer. Its only up to you if you want to proceed directly with a guest.
To be on a safe side though it would be nice if a guest always books through Air, at least if something goes wrong you have some protection. I had an incident once when a young couple stayed extra night and wanted to pay me cash and sneaked out of the house in a morning without paying.

Hey Mearns ~
Actually, I’ve never posted any pics of my place here. I have only participated on this forum for a couple of months although I signed up late last year. I’m still kinda shy about exposing myself (hmmm…that doesn’t sound right?); I mean my listing. Maybe I will share after I change out a couple pieces of furniture on my next trip…

I have a lot of reviews but they are on another listing site. I have been on Air for less than a year and only had 5 sets of guests so far with another 5 coming. Of the 5, only 4 gave reviews (5-star) and one of the guests ~ zippo. I have no clue why. She is preggy and maybe it was a hormonal thing, who knows.

I fixed their wagon though. I didn’t submit a review on them either. (harrumpf!) I don’t like Air’s review system. Why shouldn’t hosts be able to rebut whatever the guest says. We have more at stake.

I signed up with Air to fill in the blanks on my calendar and it has worked okay considering there weren’t very many open dates. I have a 4/ni. minimum and most reserve 5-9/ni. (I set my max at 10 ni.)

Oh boy, I am wa-ay off topic for this thread…as usual. I think I’ll take a shower…ala Yana’s guest.

They can. They can post a reply to the guest review.

Was my angle to get close ups of your nightstand to get the titles of what you are reading, so we spoil the ending for yas. LOL

Seriously speaking, I hear you on the review system.