End of silly season thread

It was certainly eye-opening for me - that he was worried about his review at all completely caught me off-guard. Lesson learned. But it’s a shame that Air causes so much stress on both sides.

BTW, I did give him a great review!

2 Likes

OMG, did you host my brother?? This is him all over. Except he doesn’t have a wife (none of us can work out why :roll_eyes:) He regularly comes to my place and re-arranges random things because they could be “hazardous”. He also has a strong allergy to anything scented. Except when he doesn’t notice he’d been sitting right in front of a scented candle all evening.
Some people have “control issues”, I believe that’s the phrase!

3 Likes

I have many stories for this season–and it’s not over yet–but this one takes the cake. I get a message in the middle of the night yesterday from an upcoming guest that says:

“Hello XYZ! Is that on if I mail you this week or first aid kit? We cannot take it with us on the airplane due to the “sharp” things.”

I was dead asleep and I stupidly responded briefly telling her that I had a first aid kit but she was welcome to send hers. Duh on my part! The next day my partner basically says, yeah why don’t you just roll out the red carpet for our first junkie guest. OMG. Am I overreacting here? English clearly isn’t her first language, so maybe she is shipping something like camping gear. Thoughts?

1 Like

Yes. I almost never assume people are junkies.

3 Likes

Some specialized kit for camping or hiking. Someone has a medical condition that requires traveling with a first-aid kit (easy bleeding). Diabetes insulin kit. Really over prepared traveler that has heard of all of the violence in America and just wants to be prepared. Clumsy person who owns up to it…etc etc and then, maybe Junkie.

Junkie’s don’t have first aid kits. That’s what all that needle sharing problem is ,)

5 Likes

I don’t either, I have great guests and I definitely am priced on the high end for my rental. Keeps out the partiers and bargain hunters. But my partner thinks I’m being naive. Should I open the box when it arrives? I get shipments almost every day so I could just offer apologies for my error in opening her package…

Edit to add: I get my own shipments. I’ve learned the hard way not to allow guests to ship here or use my address as their own.

1 Like

Too many variables that I don’t know. I had a repeat guest here who was a cancer survivor and had meds sent to my addy without asking. Some hosts here would lose their shit over someone daring to do the same. Not me. And if I opened it on accident she wouldn’t freak out either. But that’s different than what you are describing.

Indeed. I don’t know them either. We shall see. Probably totally innocent!

1 Like

CeeBee, it’s supposed to be good for them in the long run. (might kill grass first) Just read that somehwhere …

Yes, also glad to have a break. We were going-going-going all summer with 3 listings. No horror guests but my messiest yet that I even answered “No” to “Would you host them again”. Nice people and all but didn’t seem to respect the place with wet towels everywhere, trash, dirty dishes not just in kitchen.

Did have a medical emergency that could have turned into a big deal. Family was really enjoying the place, each for different reasons.
Got a voicemail from wife about 2:40am just saying, “We have a problem.” No explanation, no further call or msg. So my husband and I get dressed and go over (1 mile) to find the wife and 13-year-old boy sitting on the step. I could immediately tell something was wrong. She said her husband had gone off in an ambulance.
Parents were outside drinking and singing (no neighbors) early in the morning. Guy gets up (probably too quickly) to use the toilet and gets tripped up by chair. He and chair tumble backward and he hits his head on a rock (about 7"x10"). She keeps him talking, head elevated, etc. while the 13 year old goes through woods and across a field down to the village to direct the ambulance. Of course his phone dies while he is there and he has to borrow one in the pub. He did well to get himself and an ambulance there in his Crocs in an area with little cell reception.
I stay with her children and my husband takes her to the nearest hospital, which is hopefully the right one as she had no idea. The son is still wired, so we chat while his 3-year-old sister sleeps. He calmed down about 4:45 and went to sleep, just before my husband and the wife return. The husband got 7 stitches and went home the next day, a bit embarrassed.
They plan on returning very soon with extended family. If they’d been a different sort of people, it could have been a disaster.

P.S. We have moved the rocks.

7 Likes

Oh my! What a story. And what an intrepid 13 year old.

3 Likes

Yes, and it was a dark night!

1 Like

Kid was using his phone flashlight which is why it died. Probably didn’t know/didn’t think to look for where you keep yours at the cottage.

Yes, there were several he could have taken and phones die faster than normal because cell signal is weak.

1 Like

I am so new on this site and our apartments are fresh, we had two reservation in July, and August over airbnb site, and i manage to got into a trouble with transfering very simbol sum of money from WU to already open usd bank account… WU (ON THE SITE )is programmed on 60 dollars minimum, and I got 40 $… so there is a procedure ,big time between WU and airbnb that is happening over me --did anyone had iss:roll_eyes:ue like me ? Thank u!!

Oh boy. Where to start? How about the ones who read “1/4 (one quarter) mile” as 14 miles and drive deep into the surrounding desert only to sink a rental Ford Mustang into the sand?

10 Likes

there is a reason it is practice to parenthetically write out the number in legal documents

“… the penal sum of $10,000.00 (ten thousand dollars and no cents)…”*

personally i would write it as “0.25 (one quarter)”.

*not to mention that for much of the world, it would be written 10.000,00

I just hope that doesn’t make @shashdineecoretreat 's guests drive 25 miles into the desert :rofl:

2 Likes

Indeed. Kids and teenagers can be incredibly brave and fearless. Possibly because they don’t fully recognise the risks, of course, but this wee guy is a star. All credit to him.

@Lynnie That is an amazing story. So glad everything turned out all right in the end. And credit to you and your husband!

@irma Hi. I don’t fully understand what you mean. What is a WU?

edit: I googled and see it means Western Union. I’m sorry but I can’t help. I’m in the UK and it seems that they don’t have a very good reputation here. But other UK hosts will correct me if I’m wrong about that.