End of silly season thread

I will add it to the directions.

We tried to offer the help we would want in her situation. Turned out OK. The guy remembered everything and they left €10 (for fuel to drive to the hospital). And it must not have soured their experience since they want to come back soon!

2 Likes

Well exactly. Not everyone would answer their phone at that hour, let alone get up and go out there without knowing how serious it was. So yes, kudos to you for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

well, there hadn’t been any fresh bookings, so I assumed that was the end of the silly season, 3 days till the last weekend of August - perhaps I’ll reduce the price. It got booked 6hrs later, hooray! But now I’m torturing myself…if I hadn’t reduced the prices, could I have had another £100 in me knickers?

2 Likes

I’m in the exact same situation. It’s a bugger isn’t it? For the first time ever Air price recommendations are £20 more than I usually charge. But then I get an email telling me that X amount guests already booked somewhere for £15 less so I should “think about lowering my price”. Wtf? I know, I know, it’s a flawed algorithm and I should take no notice of it. But I’ve often found that when I accept the recommended pricing I got a booking, Not any more, though.

Last night the calendar had one of those. It says, someone booked a place for $2 less. I don’t care. I raise my rate a couple of bucks anyway. Hit save, it changes. Now my place came up in results but the guest booked some place $68 cheaper! I call b.s.

1 Like

This AirBnB host’s design style was inspired by a little ol’ ditty by David Frizzell:

She said: "I’m gonna’ hire a wino to decorate our home,
So you’ll feel more at ease here, and you won’t have to roam.
We’ll take out the dining room table, and put a bar along that wall.
And a neon sign, to point the way, to our bathroom down the hall.

We’ll rip out all the carpet, and put sawdust on the floor.
Serve hard boiled eggs and pretzels, and I won’t cook no more.
There’ll be Monday night football, on T.V. above the bar.
And a pay phone in the hallway, when your friends can’t find their car.

2 Likes

Nothing warms my heart like a manufactured home and dusty booze bottles on top of the cabinets. I’d love to know what is pictured on that tray propped up in the back. Almost looks like it could be Jesus?

Introducing the new counterpart to “Airbnb Plus” – “Airbnb Subtract!”

1 Like

Ouch. MEAN GIRLS alert.

2 Likes

Hey! I already trademarked Airbnb Minus!

2 Likes

Many citizens do not “get” satire, or its larger purpose, and criticize it for being, at best, entertainment, and, at worst, mockery and ridicule, according to the researchers. The goal of good satire is not mockery, but to generate debate and conversation about subjects.

“The point is this—and it has to be emphasized again and again—satire only reminds us of the sad state of affairs; it doesn’t create it, it can’t mock what doesn’t exist,” the authors write.

“But, as we’ve explained, satire’s goal is not demoralizing mockery; its goal is to invigorate public debate, encourage critical thinking, and call on citizens to question the status quo.”

4 Likes

They look empty. Not an amenity.

1 Like

Yes! I am a Second City alum and have written (and performed) satire professionally :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t make it out.face

They are indeed empty because that’s the whole reason I expanded the picture to check!

1 Like

I’m sure that the crowd that we are catering to in our market is in no way put off by empty liquor bottles. I take it as a signal from the host that they don’t mind parties there. It’s what they want to convey.

My putting a theme song to the place is not a normative statement. And I quite like that song, it’s been stuck in my head since the listing inspired it. :slight_smile:

Edited to add that there is a beer bottle in one of my listing pics. It’s not empty, though and it was just a picture I randomly snapped as I was enjoying the setting sun on my yard from the front porch and I had a Ziegenbock (has a state of Texas on the label) on a table that has a top made of beer caps.

Since our porch is the perfect place to watch the sunset while drinking a cold beer, and the picture came out really good, yes it had to go in the listing. I want people to imagine themselves drinking a cold beer or sodapop there.

Which is why I am careful to crop out the photos so that it’s a discussion about how to improve as a community (or in this case, just being “silly”), not mocking the host. That’s why we’re all here, to improve, isn’t it?

(And if some the owners happen to see some of the examples I’ve pointed out elsewhere in tightly cropped photos of eyesores I’ve posted elsewhere, ask yourselves why you’re paying So-And-So, LLC. a cut of your profits to not give you that advice themselves? (Or to ignore their advice if given?) Hm?)

1 Like

I kiss the hem of your garment. (any video links ?? !!)

Myself I live to write parodies. A tradition in the newspaper industry is the “fake front page” when folks retire or move on. I happily cranked out two or three for ONE PERSON who I’d NEVER MET a few hours after arriving in Alaska, just based on flipping through the clips file.

Exactly. Which is why I am astounded at the “mean girls” comment above. Anything but.

Unless of course, the member who posted the comment believes, perhaps, that “Jonathan Swift is almost universally accorded a leading place among the greatest of p̶r̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶t̶i̶r̶i̶s̶t̶s̶ mean girls.”

Re: the photo … tilting face of a smiling female family member?

Oh I hadn’t considered that it was a photo. I assumed it was a serving tray with someone’s face on it like I was thinking “country music album cover”.