End of silly season thread

I pee outside all the time! And have caught guests on camera doing the same. As long as the neighbors do not see no harm no foul…

Lol

RR

1 Like

You’ve probably thought of this but I’d be very wary of reminding guests that I can see and hear everything outside. The audio in particular is eavesdropping and depending on the guest and your state law it could be more trouble than it’s worth. And while I’m a big advocate of cameras no one likes to be reminded that they are constantly being watched.

4 Likes

You seem to be one of the few that considers this.

I remember years ago seeing a young boy next door on the roof of his house peeing into the plumbing vent. I was on the second floor of my home looking down on him on his first floor. I was a little alarmed by him being on the roof, he seemed a bit young to be scaling a ladder alone. I also wondered who taught him to do that.

That’s what older brothers are for!

RR

1 Like

I’d rather people pee outside than on the floor of the bathroom.

4 Likes

How about extra pay for harder work? Any way to claim it from the guest?

Because I’m a curious dork like that… $76-$160… lol

2 Likes

Ok I’ll play! Had a homeaway guest book a day before his stay. Asked if the property had a toilet.
Admitted he owns a RV as well. Didn’t tell us he supposidly has molibity issues and that he couldn’t possibly fit in the shower! Long story short he left and stayed in his car at Walmart.
Guess he really didn’t need a toilet after all. Of course he left as a scathing slanderous review
He was just a bully.

1 Like

We’re having a break, it’s called January.

Yes, summer is hard work but mainly just more of what we do all year round, and all a bit more concentrated.

Double changeovers, when both apartments are having to be cleaned and prepared in a (potentially) two hour window are a bugger. But doable, just!

Other than capturing a young couple trying to sneak an extra couple of guests in, which ended up quite lucrative at the expense of a poor review, all our drama this summer has been guest issues not related to the apartments. Overall, it’s been standard level of guest. They come, they sleep, they go.

One girl turned up and said her two friends wanted to join her (happy to pay extra), and then she mentioned the “D” word! Sorry, no pets. She was fine about it but her dog owning friend went into melt down mode. Fortunately they were still on the road, about an hour out, after driving from Paris in one hit but we could easily hear the other side of the phone conversation.

Ok, finding dog (2 old and large hounds) friendly accomodation in a Spanish city during August isn’t easy, but we came up with a hotel we knew where the owners dog lounged about reception. Happy guest, happy friends, happy dogs and 10’s across the board on BDC.

There are more, but won’t bore folks with them.

We have an “empty” for the next couple of nights, so I can feel a mini break coming on. In fact, there is a large glass of Estrella with my name on it round in the plaza. It may not be the only one of the afternoon :beers:

Toodle pip!

JF

2 Likes

Sadly can’t really contibute to the Mad Guest thread, but what I am looking forward to is no more FRENCH guests! Don’t get me wrong, we love them, they’re mostly young, polite, tidy, out all day, and have given us some fantastic reviews … and that’s where the problem lies. They usually say how pleased they are that I speak French, because they don’t speak Spanish, fewer of them have good English than I would have thought and of course the Spanish don’t speak French.
I worked out that we’ve had over 70% French guests this season, and these days they don’t even keep to August … they’re creeping into July and September as well. Frankly I’m exhausted having to try to function in three languages (and remember that my last French lesson was over 50 years ago!) and have started to glare at the husband if he wants to have a conversation in the evening.
Only second set of British guests coming next week … how will I cope language-wise?

1 Like

Ditto for July and August; not as high as 70% but prob 60% or thereabouts.

None so far for Sep.

Ditto for the language issue also. Forty years for me and I usually end up speaking Spanfrenchlish. Seems to work though :smile:

JF

Although there are four women traveling together, I doubt very much they will be able to fit into an UberX with all their belongings. And I can’t anticipate whether or not there will be a high demand surcharge in effect at the time they order their ride. NO WAY am I going to give the guest a rate, especially one who has already expressed concern over the cost of my listing, is flying into a hole-in-the-wall airport to save a few bucks, and is weighing the cost of the Uber against a rental car.

Nope, no way, nah, ain’t happening…:rofl:

1 Like

That’s why I included double the prices of an uber Xl. But yes obviously that is only right then. And not like I’d want some one who expects me to loo it Igor them or that I shove it to them…
Like I said I was just a curious dork…

When I looked it up (also curious dork), it was $130 not doubled for the UberXL.

1 Like

We probably just made it surge from this forum!

4 Likes

I had a couple guys sitting out in the yard, having cigars and telling stories late one night, who had come in for a concert with their girlfriends. It was 1am and they had definitely been drinking but were trying to be quiet - they were using that awful type of whisper that carries as much as any loud voice. My neighborhood is really quiet at night so I knew I had to go out there and get them in without creating a disturbance for my neighbors. They were 2 big guys drinking that I didn’t know at all, so my plan was to not argue about anything with them, just get them to go in and avoid any kind of yelling or drama.

Of course once I got out there they were drunker than I thought and of course they were confident that they weren’t being loud at all. In the interest of just-getting-them-to-go-inside and not argue about whether or not they were loud, I told them that one of my neighbors had text me asking if we could be quieter. It was laid-out as a casual remark from me but the guy who had booked, it really freaked him out and he just stared at me in silence for a minute. I was really scared for a minute and waited for the yelling to begin. And then he broke down in tears. Totally started blubbering and mumbling about how he was going to get a bad review from me. I ended up patting him on the back and consoling him until he could stop blubbering and got himself together and they both finally went in and went to bed.

They checked-out early, left me a spotless apartment, a long apology note and a 5 star review.

8 Likes

Did NOT see that one coming!

7 Likes

There are no neighbors who can see anything and frankly when my husband stays there he will go outside from inside the house instead of going to the toilet. “Because I can.”

Freedom, man. I’m down with it. :smiley:

1 Like

It took three requests to get the pet fee out of them, which I didn’t get until 3 or 4 days post check-out. I don’t feel like digging through a year of receipts to prove how much I paid for the towels and sheets. Would rather just never have them come back. Plus I got the 5-star review from them. :wink:

Drunk crying…we’ve all done it.

If more hosts would realize that review power goes both ways we would all be better off.

I’ve had friends over and had to break up the party and send them home because they were being loud and even though we are at the other end of the house sound carries through the ventwork as if they were megaphones.

3 Likes