Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Station

Loved the post about the phone chargers so let me explain…

I own a vineyard and use two of the rooms in my home as dog-friendly accommodations for wine tourists and others touring our valley. My AirBnB business is really seasonal and I’m in the process of building a tasting room.

Here’s my question: Have any other hosts installed an EV fast charging station on their property?
Was it helpful to advertise that fact?

I guess the answer depends on the percentage of your visitors drive electric cars. Here in SW Florida where I am, the number is miniscule, and so would be any possible advertising gain.

1 Like

There are a couple of posts in this thread from hosts that installed EV chargers in their Airbnb listings.

3 Likes

Tesla will give you equipment if you meet their standards and put you on their charging map as a destination charger. Google Tesla destination partners…

RR

4 Likes

I was interested to know what percentage of cars on the road (in the US) are electric. Wikipedia said (data from 2018) that the number is 0.45% which seems ridiculously low to me. I probably read the data incorrectly.

But in all my years of hosting, I’ve only had one person ask if they could plug in their car.

1 Like

The percentage is low but it’s growing quickly. If you are in a position to offer a charging station it seems like a good way to attract guests, and a kind of guest I find appealing. It sounds perfect for the TheRock’s listing.

4 Likes

I work in the energy industry and the percent of electric cars is an important statistic for us. 0.45% is about right as long as you exclude hybrids such as the Prius.

I expect that California is higher but is probably still less than 5%.

1 Like

For now…

This is changing quickly, in 20 years ICE cars will be a unaffordable relic. Governments need to tax gas so high that people move over to EV’s

We are killing our planet.

RR

1 Like

And there is also a Chrome Extension that people can add that will show them the airbnbs with chargers.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/evbnb-find-ev-chargers-at/eegkfhgpneolohfmdjkhhgefgkofknhf?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

3 Likes

There are also phone apps like PlugShare

RR

1 Like

In 20 years there will still be ICE. EV is not sustainable in the long run.

Hydrogen and a massive increase in public transportation are the only solutions, to get away from oil based fuels.

1 Like

Thanx. I will definitely need to check that out when I’m on my laptop!

I have a Plug-in Hybrid EV (Chevy Volt) and am guessing that the 0.45% is for purely electric so not PHEVs.

I installed one in my house for me and offer it in Airbnb and several charging apps. I haven’t had anyone use it except a friend who I had asked to supervise my self install since he had already done his own.

I just had a guest ask me if the can charge the vehicle through the power point. As this is new to me, do we wear the cost for them changing their vehicle. I have no idea as how much this will cost me.

No idea what country you’re in, but where I’m from they say it’s around $3 per 100km.

Some googling gives this sort of general info;

" Fully recharging an electric car with a healthy range of 300 miles would require 75-100 kWh"

So using your electricity cost per kWh you could calculate the expected cost.

Based on this, in my case I’d have no problem letting the guest charge their car at no extra cost, though your margins might be tighter than mine.

yes, I would do it as a vineyard destination. People often have to drive long distances when doing wine tours, and i’ve noticed here in the Adelaide Hills (australia) there are a few places that offer EV charging. At least during the day you have a chance to use solar power as well.

You don’t say where you are located, and electricity is more expensive in some locations than others, but in the US and Canada, the average cost of a full charge seems to be $5-$6. Not a big deal.

Sorry, from Australia

We have advertised but have had no takers so far.

We say that the payment is made through the app EVMatch. That way we do get paid, payment disputes are minimized and it’s outside Airbnb. This is a type 2 charger.

I assume you mean Charge Point.

Why not get your charge on an app like EVMatch and have guests use app to pay?

That way you are guaranteed your desired profit % up to a max specified by app.

Make sure that the app gets your cost right. If not, you can contact the app to correct.

1 Like

I’m curious how many STR owners would be willing to monetize their Electric vehicle charger if given the opportunity? There are government mandates that will drive up the number of EVs on the road. I don t want to put a big price tag on my renters but I do not feel that owners should have to pay for the increased energy usage. I’m curious what everyone thinks.

1 Like