Electric blankets

For a while I used a heating pad on the mattress and it e fed up burning up…got a heated mattress pad after that!

When I lived in Colorado and went skiing in the winter, I had electric socks. They held 2 D batteries (strapped around your calves) so were very bulky but they were awesome.

You just need battery-pack-operated heated coveralls and you could be toasty all the time.

2 Likes

First I’ve read about this heater and I can’t wait to share this with my spouse…it may be what we need and if we order I’ll use your link!

1 Like

I had an electric blanket years ago. Granted, this was in the 1970s.

I loved it until I saw little trails of sparks through the blanket when I woke up once in the dark.

They’re probably made better now. But not for me.

1 Like

No way I would sleep under an electric blanket or on an electric mattress pad. If I were a guest and arrived to find that was the only alternative to freezing, I’d cancel immediately. I really hope those hosts who are using these things disclose it in their listing info, and have enough regular blankets or duvets that their guests aren’t forced to use the electric ones.

3 Likes

I agree. As a guest, I wouldn’t be comfortable with either an electric blanket or an electric mattress pad.

2 Likes

I see little sparks when I move around in my fleece blanket. I can also hear it popping. LOL.

2 Likes

When friends and family used to ask “How do you deal with the heat in Spain?” they wouldn’t believe it when I said “Fine - it’s the cold I can’t stand.” It can be flipflop weather outside and sheepskin-limed crocs in the house!

We have electric wall panels which are not really very efficient and we finally have a proper log-burning fire which doesn’t smoke the whole house out!

1 Like

You could easily remove it if you didn’t want it (or have host do so). No need to cancel.

1 Like

These were little trails of sparks along the wires inside the blanket. Scary.

I said I would cancel if the electric blanket was the only option in order to keep from freezing. If the host didn’t have any regular blankets or comforters instead.

1 Like

Are you sure there isn’t a bluetooth powered version? I’d check Urban Outfitters if I was looking ,)

2 Likes

I honestly have to say that I didn’t realize that electric blankets were even still available. I remember having them in the 1970s at my grandmother’s house but haven’t seen one since. I guess they still make Club Crackers and Green Goddess salad dressing too?

It’s just never occurred to me and it’s common for single digit (and below zero) temps where I live. I’m stingy with heat so it’s not that I’m running the thermostat high (70 max and 63 at night). We have down comforters and wool blankets and long sleeve t-shirts but more importantly the dog sleeps with us. We call her “the bed warmer”. It gets so hot with her that I end up throwing the covers off. Perhaps instead of electric blankets, you could provide an “eco-friendly” “animal experience” and provide medium-sized mutts to warm the beds? lol.

3 Likes

I have the dogs get ON the bed in my spot while I get ready for bed so they warm it up for me…funny how they cling to me when it gets really cold at night.

1 Like

Hosting in Florida is a real education about temperatures and the variations people prefer. I’ve had lovely guests who haven’t used the AC at all, despite the outside temperatures being in the eighties or nineties.

Others have turned the AC so low that it’s like going into a restaurant’s walk in fridge.

There is definitely no one size fits all when it comes to temperatures. So guests have total control over the thermostats so they can decide for themselves. It makes Florida living far more pleasant.

2 Likes

In lieu of electric blankets we use small pillows filled with dried corn. Microwave them about 3 minutes and put them in whatever part I’d the bed you want warm while you are brushing your teeth. By the time you get in it’s nice and cozy, and the warm pillows stay warm until morning.

1 Like

Yes, we have lots of normal blankets. No host would offer only electric blankets.
They’re super soft and comfortable, made from wool fleece, so they’re warm to sleep on even if you don’t turn them on, and cool in Summer.

2 Likes

Hot water bottles, anyone??

1 Like

Yes, it’s definitely what you’re used to … we don’t have aircon in our part of the house, but it’s a condition of our Tourist Registration that we have it in the Airbnb apartments. I used to think that when we didn’t have guests I’d treat myself to a couple of nights’ sleep in a lovely airconditioned bedroom. However, I found I slept really badly, couldn’t get the temperature right and tossed and turned most of the night. Very disappointing!

2 Likes

Yes!! In between dogs :frowning:

1 Like