Electric blankets

Hi.
For those who supply electric blankets, do you take them off and store them away during Summer?

Why would you supply electric blankets at all?

Just about everyone here has electric blankets on their beds, so it is expected.
It’s actually more efficient than heating a bedroom.
I normally store them away during Summer but I had a guest last year complain that there wasn’t one on the bed so I’m trying to decide what to do this year.

Are local hotels providing them?
For me it would be an absolute no go, it is a huge fire hazard an my insurance company explicitly forbids them for the guests.

3 Likes

Yes, the hotels have them.
I have strict instructions about using them, they have automatic shutoff after one hour and I replace them regularly.
I think I will take them off during Summer.
Thanks for helping me think out loud.

2 Likes

Leaving them on beds when they aren’t being used for heat would put unnecessary wear on them just from flexing, even if you removed the power cord. Definitely take them off.

I’m surprised hotels would have them. Where is your listing? Edit: After some searching, I think it’s New Zealand?

2 Likes

maybe just leave one out for that odd guest that wants them year round? I roll all my extra blankets and comforter and put a “strap” around them. That way I can tell when they are used because NO ONE rolls them back the way I do or at all. I really do not get why anyone needs extra blankets most of the year where I am. I have a top sheet, a heavy good quality cotton thermal blanket, a good quality regular warm blanket and a comforter or quilt. I sleep with less at home! I just don’t get it but I have plenty of extras for them that need them

1 Like

Yes, I’m in New Zealand. I will put them away during Summer but give one to any guest who asks as I do have them listed as available.

Once I asked guests why they don’t just put on an extra layer of clothing instead of turning the heat up to maximum level. They walk around the house in sleeveless tops and shorts in the middle of Winter. They told me it’s because that’s the way they live at home.

2 Likes

And it is usually true. People don’t care. People are wasteful with resources they pay for and are even worse so with other people’s.

4 Likes

The sleeveless tanks and shorts thing in winter drives me up the wall. I just had to do my Annual Locking of The Thermostat. Last guest has the heat at 74 and I can guarantee you it is roasting at 74.

1 Like

If it were me I would have long johns under a turtle neck and likely a sweater and jacket. And then I’d still be just on temp wise. 74 is likely not enough for me. And I grew up between the Catskills and the Adirondacks so know NY weather. That’s why I live in NC now and still bundle like that in my own house if I don’t have the gas fire place roaring (because my electric heat doesn’t work well and is expensive and I’m working on rectifying that as well).

1 Like

I’m from Scotland. It’s Winter in Andalucia. Still shorts and T shirt weather for me!!!

JF

I’m way too cold at 74 and I was brought up in the North of England! I’m a Florida wuss now though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was brought up in Texas and we pay hundreds of dollars to bring the inside temperature down to 74 degrees and we still moan about it being too hot.

1 Like

Lol. I like it around 80-78 in the summer, although this summer was extremely hot and for some reason I preferred it 77-75.

I LOVE electric blankets in winter though…mine is going on my bed next week.

1 Like

:point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up: Part of our energy and climate problem. No one will be inconvenienced or uncomfortable for more than a minute.

I used to have an electric blanket at the cottage but I stopped offering it when I started renting. I also don’t like the way they feel like spun glass, but if that is typical in NZ I would just leave it in the closet in the summer.

3 Likes

Yes!!! I was trying to put this into words and hadn’t been able to. Spun glass with a stick inside it.

2 Likes

Yuck. I bought a couple of electric blankets two years ago that are so plush and soft that you want to cuddle up with them even when they’re not powered. One came from Amazon and the other from Costco. I’m fairly certain both are Sunbeam brand.

1 Like

Before I left the states I thought about turning the heater on in my Florida homes, as it was scheduled to get cold while I was gone. The trouble I had is the range. My house is cool to 77F heat to 70F, but I had guests that were cooling to 68F, so that would totally mess them up. I ended up leaving a message with my property manager that the houses were on cool only, but totally unlocked, so if necessary show them how to turn the heat on. Sure enough, I get a text in Egypt that some one had accidentally locked the thermostat while trying to turn the heat on…they sorted it out.