Electric blankets

My dogs are the reason I keep my own house so cold! They have thick winter coats and would be miserable if it were too hot, so I keep it cooler than I like and wear sweaters in the house. Spoiled pups.

1 Like

I am a comforter/duvet person. Find it much easier to clean between guests.

How often are you able to wash an electric blanket?
As a guest I would not want one as I would suspect it isnā€™t cleaned as often as a regular blanket.

1 Like

just ordered so look for your $$$

1 Like

You might want to research EMF (electromagnetic field frequencies) of electric blankets. They are a serious health risk. Thatā€™s why I wouldnā€™t sleep with one. Has nothing to do with fire risk or how soft and comfortable they are.

Thanx so much. Itā€™s a credit toward my next purchase. I donā€™t have my next purchase planned yet but they are very nice and undoubtedly I will get more over time.

Without debating the pros and cons of the various research reports itā€™s worth reminding everyone that the post is about guest requesting electric blankets and seasonal availabilty where that is the norm. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a market for hosts who want to decide whatā€™s best for the guests but in this case all a guest has to do is remove the offending item from the bed. Unlike guests who, for example, turn off the router cutting off the hosts access to cameras or other smart tech in the home, electric blankets being supplied isnā€™t going to hurt anything.

2 Likes

Admittedly my experience of electric blankets dates from the last century but can you wash electric blankets? Do they have to go to a dry cleaning place? Iā€™m assuming that they canā€™t just be bunged into the washing machine?

2 Likes

Yes, you can bung them in the washing machine, just remove the plugs first and use a delicate cycle.

@MaryJO They go under the mattress protectors so they get washed about the same frequency as mattress protectors.

You do not sleep with them turned on. You use them to pre-heat the bed for 15 minutes and turn them off before you get in. If by chance guests forget to do that, they are set to automatically switch off after an hour.

Iā€™ve only had the one guest ask for an electric blanket in Summer. One guest does not a Summer make, so today I took them off.

2 Likes

Oh I had no idea. I saw someone mention that in the thread but I didnā€™t realize people actually sleep on top of them! Must be nice quality mattress protectors to not feel the wiring. Sounds like a cosy way to sleep.

So it appears that what the OP is talking about is what we call a heated mattress pad in the US.

2 Likes

ah! The old ā€œdifferent terminologyā€ trick. Iā€™ll remember that when I have guests from the US.
@MaryJO You donā€™t feel the wires because the blankets themselves are so thick, being made from wool fleece.
Like this: https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/121340

3 Likes

Oh my hahahaā€¦ those are not the Autumn Gold blankets from the 80s!
Thank you for clarifying and sending that link. Makes much more sense now.

1 Like

We have them in both our properties that get cold in the winter (cold for Australia)- we leave them on the beds year round. They are energy efficient compared to a heater and guest always compliment them. We manage both properties from afar and have wireless switches on them- so we can see when a guest checks out whether they have switched them (and the heaters) off, and if not, we can switch them off from our phone- provides a lot of peace of mind!

3 Likes

Hi Jodes, how do you set up with wireless switches? Great idea.

I use WiFi switches (outlets actually) to be able to tell when an item is on and then some even tell me the power usage so if it is on standby or in use at hog or low even. I like the added safety as it can show if it is using too much power and may be close to overheating or blowing out. I could also turn things off if necessary when they leave before I can get there to turn over or if they need to be evicted for some reason.

Nah, just cut where you want, leave it plugged it so you will know if you hit a wire.

RR

2 Likes

Haha. I did something similarly stupid (although not dangerous like cutting into the wiring) once. I wanted to hang a picture over the toilet and drilled into the wall to put a screw, completely forgetting about the toilet vent pipe going up inside the wall there. I have cement walls, so I ended up having to chip out enough more of the wall there that I could glue another half round of pipe over the hole Iā€™d drilled in it, then replaster that section of wall. Needless to say, that project wasnā€™t on my agenda that day, all I wanted to do was hang a picture.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve needed extra blankets when staying in NZ in the summer (bundled up at Great Barrier in March on the boat!!), but I have been living the semi-tropical life for a while now and get chilly. Then again, thatā€™s why God gave us fleece and Icebreaker socks and clothing. :wink:

Put them away and just tell guests there is an additional quilt/blanket/duvet/coverlet/kettleforeggs in the closet.

I hope I never have to clean egg out of my kettle!

RR

3 Likes

The internet is full of these totally daft articles saying that you can cook things in kettles. Eggs are one example, noodles another. Wrong wrong wrong.

1 Like