Electric blankets

Heat pumps and solar with a battery bank would be your answer. Heat pumps also provide a/c in hot weather.

Iā€™m trying to decide between a traditional electric blanket or the one that goes under the sheets (bedwarmer).

1 Like

Weā€™ve got the ā€œunderā€ one. Always been a bit sceptical of them, but itā€™s been a right cold one here this Winter and so far itā€™s been well used!

I hate Spanish houses in the Winter :rage:

JF

1 Like

Yeah, well insulated they are not!

Iā€™ll get the under one, thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™m waiting for the heated and cooled beds. (no not the attachments that exist, a bed with the system built into the mattress)

The heated mattress ones are great.

Blankets get frightening hot spots when theyā€™re bunched up.

The mattress warmer doesnā€™t get those issues. Itā€™s laid flat, so no hot spots. Iā€™ve got to imagine the wires hold up better over time since theyā€™re not subject to so much movement.

1 Like

I used to turn the heat to 75 when going to bed and then my bf (no ex) would put the AC to 65 once I fell asleepā€¦pissed me off and ran up my utilitiesā€¦just one of many reasons he is now ex.

1 Like

Well I am having solar panels (tied to grid) next month (if they get off their buttsā€¦it was supposed to be October). My HVAC system has a heat pump already and thatā€™s what centrally heats the house inefficiently.

I currently try to heat only the individual bedroom with a quartz infrared heater (and the near cove ruin Envi Heater I bought when @KKC recommended it last year (hope sheā€™s enjoyIng her $20 credit for it!) in the bedroom and the gas logs for the main living area (living room and kitchen) while keeping the heat pump at a barely live able 65-70.

Oh wait you just reminded me that I was having a brain fart about installing my electric blanket this weekā€¦itā€™s actually my heated mattress pad I will install this week.

I think they are much more effective, especially since heat rises. I have a 2 sided one and the off side is not even plugged in.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you. I got two credits so far and have already bought a second Envi. Iā€™m thinking about a third one, maybe even a fourth. In effect itā€™s a cheap way to set up zoned heating.

3 Likes

Sounds dangerous for fire hazards.

They currently have a 25% off sale if you buy 2. Not sure if you can apply your credits too but sounds good!

And @Militaryhorsegal Iā€™m looking at these heaters and may get one - how do I get one of you a credit for it?

If you can give me till the end of the day I can get it for you (itā€™s been a while so Iā€™ll have to look it up). But @KKC will likely beat me to it.

ETA link: you get 20% off (minimum $31.99) if you use it and I get $20 credit for the referral. However if you are buying 2 you can get 25% with their sale instead. You canā€™t do both unfortunately.

http://i.refs.cc/beaK1yPK?smile_ref=eyJzbWlsZV9zb3VyY2UiOiJzbWlsZV91aSIsInNtaWxlX21lZGl1bSI6IiIsInNtaWxlX2NhbXBhaWduIjoicmVmZXJyYWxfcHJvZ3JhbSIsInNtaWxlX2N1c3RvbWVyX2lkIjoyNTk2Mjk3NjF9

1 Like

No, thatā€™s fine. I got my credits already.

2 Likes

Not my field of expertise but I feel certain that if we can have electric blankets and mattress pads we can figure out a way to have heated and cooled beds with minimal risk. Iā€™m envisioning an external unit that attaches to the bed and the mechanism for distributing heat and cool is built into the mattress. The already have units that do that but there is an ugly bulky external delivery mechanism.

Canā€™t be more dangerous than the extension cords and space heaters that already proliferate in bedrooms.

1 Like

@im with Chris on this one. Fire hazard. Wouldnā€™t provide them. If you really want something that would make your guests warm and toasty invest in a good quality down comforter.

2 Likes

In healthcare, we have a variety of cooling and heating (and alternating pressure!) beds. I wouldnā€™t want any of them in my home though.

2 Likes

Yes - take off and store them for summer.

For those that are concerned about safety - they are still blankets and do not have to be turned on if they guest does not want electric heat.

I was first introduced to an electric blanket when visiting family in Minnesota and loved it.

Hereā€™s a little info, so that we hopefully stop perpetuating the myth that they are dangerous and ā€œbadā€ā€¦

ā€œElectric-heated blankets donā€™t statistically reflect a significant home fire hazard. Considering that there is an average of nearly 360,000 home fires each year, fires started by electric blankets represented just .04 percent of those fires,ā€ said Susan McKelvey, Communications Manager of the [National Fire Protection Association] (https://www.nfpa.org/). Dec. 3, 2018 Source: TODAY

The article goes on to say basically that blankets are not carefree - that you do need to check them and use them with proper caution and awareness.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been considering buying another one, carefully cutting a hole for my head and wearing it poncho style about the house.

I reckon if I plugged together three thirty metre extension leads Iā€™d be sorted for our apartments. Saves plugging/unplugging.

An alternative may be to get a hundred metre lead, on a reel and work out a way of wearing it like a backpack.

I really do hate Spanish houses in the Winter.

:rage:

JF

6 Likes