Current Review Process that Guests Go Through

I recently had the chance to review a host. I was unable to make the trip but left a review saying as much so that I could see what guests see when they review. It looks very different from the last time I did one. I thought maybe some of you might be interested too. I’ll go in order, but will note that I was able to navigate backwards until I clicked finish. Identifying information has been blocked out for privacy of the host.

Some of the screens, cued up more details to tick once I chose an option. The extra details were nearly always the same for the top two levels and then the same for any level 3 and down. This reinforces the idea that if it isn’t a 5 or 4, it might as well be a 1. I included screenshots of how the level chosen changed the detail cuing. I included screenshot of anywhere that a variation exists or extra information is requested.

1. Self-explanatory. A 4 Stars is the same but with only 4 Stars:

1_5stars

1. Starting at 3 Stars and down, an extra message pops up about safety:

3_3stars

The Star Ratings are no longer based on expectations, e.g. worded as “Better than Expected”, “As Expected”, etc is gone and the cuing is now much more reasonable. Great = 5-Stars, Good = 4-Stars, Okay = 3 Stars ( I think Not Good was 2 Stars and Terrible was 1 Star. This is great news because Great, Good, Okay, etc is much more straight-forward and does not ask the guests to directly consider what they were hoping for prior to arrival.

Then the subcategories were uneventful. There was no extra cuing regardless of the Star Rating chosen. The same with the Private Note and Public Review, very straightforward:

Then this screen soliciting more information from guests that Airbnb says they will keep anonymous:

Now there specific questions about the listing. If one of the top two choices are ticked, then the additional information boxes are neutral or positive and the same for both. If the third choice or below is chosen then the extra boxes are more leading or negative and the same for all from 3rd down. If “Other (specify)” is chosen then a text box appears and you can, seemingly, write whatever you want. I bet there are some intersting ones, wherever they are.

The “how well-equipped” questions hold lots of hints and information for hosts:

Amenties and Parking did not trigger any extra boxes regardless of what was chosen. You did not have to make a choice/answer them.

Accuracy only triggered more boxes to tick if “Extremely” was not chosen. So, it’s either accurate or it’s not. The same choices were given to explain “mostly accurate” and “not at all accurate”.

“Address” and “WiFi” did not trigger any extra boxes regardless of response:

“How Accommodating was Your Host” also has a lot of hints and good information for hosts:

And that’s it. You can see the Finish button on the bottom right. However, you can use the Back button to the left of it. After going through all of the questions, it made me think about things more. If I had actually stayed, I feel confident that I would have gone backward after answering the questions, either to give more information or change something.

So, even if your Wifi only crapped out on the first night of a guest’s stay and they had forgotten about it, they will be reminded of it as they go through the questions. But I think this format is a huge improvement over all of that stupid expectation based ratings crap and those stupid compliments (which fell off around May of this year).

Is this the longest post ever??

21 Likes

Great, now all of the shameless/sleazy/tacky hosts can post a step-by-step guide in their listing showing guests how to fill out a perfect review. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

C’mon, guests don’t read :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I doubt this is the only set of review screen shots on the internet. Hey sleezy, dishonest gonna sleeze no matter what

5 Likes

Thank you for going to the effort to share all of this.

9 Likes

I think that the explanation cards about to how rate are going to look extra silly when it’s explaing the difference between Great, Good and Okay. It’s the, explain like I’m 5 Airbnb ratings card.

2 Likes

Good info to have. Thanks very much.

4 Likes

Great info!

My first thoughts are do private rooms vs full homes have a different set of questions? Because these questions could kill a private room listing with just a few moderate category responses for those of us that don’t offer kitchens/cooking, cleaning supplies or living room sharing. It will all depend on guest interpretation

3 Likes

You could try positive thoughts for a change. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@JJD The guest review forms seem to change with some frequency, so it’s always interesting to see what the latest incarnation is. Thanks.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info.
I don’t like that the questions are training my guests and potential guests to have an expectation that an extremely good stay means there’s baggage storage and they can check out two hours late.

12 Likes

I agree, it was an eyebrow raiser when I read it.

We have constant requests for early check-in, late check-out. You can’t accommodate everybody. And we have a place to store luggage off-site, if they want to drive there but if they have a rental car (which mostly everyone does), the trunk is a great place to store the luggage until it’s the actual check-in time. Maui is pretty safe, knock on wood.

4 Likes

Very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

4 Likes

Woah! Definitely, an eyebrow raiser for sure! Two hours late check out? Ummm….exactly when would this “5 step enhanced cleaning” tack place then? Thorough cleaning takes time. They can’t have both of those things from hosts at the same time.

8 Likes

I guess not. This was a private room rental.

these questions could kill a private room listing with just a few moderate category responses

Those questions come after the review and won’t effect the rating. I like this format because the actual review comes first and is simple and straightforward.

Surely they are doing something with the answers to those questions, market information, etc. I would think they would also look for patterns between the review ratings and the answers to the additional questions. For instance, the room I rented did come with kitchen and living room access. If it didn’t, I would ignore the kitchen ovals and not think anything of it. Besides, the answer of extremely, very well, moderately, etc is chosen prior to seeing the ovals with specifics/details.

The difference between Extremely well-equipped and Moderately well-equipped isn’t “has kitchen access” vs. “doesn’t have kitchen access”. The difference is “well stocked kitchen” vs “missing kitchen essentials”. It is about the quality of amenities provided and not about which amenities you provided or not. There’s no reason to have an opinion on how well stocked a kitchen is if you didn’t use a kitchen. Of course someone could be obtuse about it and say that kitchen essentials were missing because there was no kitchen, but you can’t do anything with those people.

But, again, they don’t count towards the rating. And no ovals need to be chosen at all to move to the next page. Because the actual ratings come first, I feel like the questions and answers are kind of a study or a check. For instance, if someone rated 3 stars overall on the review but then answered the questions very positively, that would be something to look at. If you’re worried about the kitchen, I will point out that hardly anyone has a pool! And I certainly don’t have kid-friendly entertainment and am not getting any.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the screen shots. Last time I did a review as a guest I did it on my mobile phone. The webpages were not optimised for my screen size so I was only able to read the first few words of each option.

4 Likes

Neither do many hosts including those here if you look at many of the basic questions asked @HudsonNY

2 Likes

It’s been over a year since I was a guest.
This seems a little over the top to me.
Looking at this list I’m surprised anyone would wade through it.
A way for Air to start collecting data to punish hosts?

3 Likes

Ho-lee-cow. That place is a hard no for me.

9 Likes

In a different thread about discounts I mentioned especially in resort areas there are so many variables in what makes a rental desirable thus supports a higher / lower price point, the Airbnb price comps are useless. This feels like trying to get that data so Airbnb generated comps are more accurate.

3 Likes