Current Review Process that Guests Go Through

Good to know ……….202

1 Like

…ALSO… that being “pet friendly” for some ridiculous reason falls under the question of being "well-equipped… as does having a private pool or hot tub. Stupid. And the Flexible checkout falling under “accommodating”…makes me mad…guests should be prepared to follow the preestablished and published parameters of a place, or select another spot. AirBnb is still coaching the guests on how to push the limits of a host/owner.

7 Likes

I dont believe they use any data for “good” except for figuring out how to raise their own profits.

3 Likes

Even though the ratings are given before those questions, the questions themselves, while they may be only used for market research, sure seem like the type of questions that lead guests to feel entitled and as if everything about a listing should be picked apart in minute detail.

So even if it doesn’t affect the ratings on the first review a guest ever leaves, it instills an attitude that it seems to me would affect their future stays and reviews.

6 Likes

100% agree. These set unreasonable expectations, even if answers don’t appear somewhere. If there was a question that asked if you got a free puppy with your stay, there would be folks who would wonder why it didn’t or how it should have (kidding… but not really)

3 Likes

My listing doesn’t actually say Flexible for check out- my check in time is listed as from 11am-11pm, check out at 4. But I wouldn’t care if a guest checked out later than that.

I don’t do this in order to be accommodating, though. It’s because I’ve always had one day prep time between bookings, and I work from home, so it really doesn’t matter to me what time of day guests check in or out, as long as it’s not a super early or late check-in.

2 Likes

@JJD

Thank you very much for sharing, and all the time to post the many iterations of screen shots.
Seems like it might be better than what came before, though it seems rather lengthy. Some of it is perhaps concerning. Like “extra pillows and blankets”. Are they a claimed amenity? If so, fine if they are looking to validate. But a red flag if this is boiler plate, regardless of listed amenities.
Same goes for parking. Ours is “on-street”. So, why ask guests about aspects that are outside of the listing?
I hope that I am wrong but expect some of this to be general, not based off listed amenities and will cause confusion or problems.

2 Likes

Yes! And this insight makes more sense as to why every-time I get a new review I see questions on my listing like “does your home have a kitchen?” “Does your home have a washer and dryer?” “Guests have indicated these amenities might be available.”

Yep, they are definitely there but hell no, they’re not available.

3 Likes

Or how about “I didn’t come by car, so parking wasn’t relevant”.

2 Likes

So you just skip the question. Same as if you’re unsure. It’s not the SAT, skip the question.

2 Likes

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek. If you’re “not sure” if there was parking, obviously you didn’t have a car to park. I don’t know who they get to come up with Airbnb wording, but it’s so often confusing or bizarre or pointless.

Of course guests should skip questions that are irrelevant to their stay. But you know some people just feel they need to fill out everything.

2 Likes

I got you. I was saying “yes, and…”. (I agree).

2 Likes

If Air wants to have a decent customer survey, they should take a look at Kroger’s review site (we have a Fred Meyer), which I fill out every week so I qualify for a higher fuel discount at their pumps. It’s a survey that’s really looking to find out why customers shop there.

1 Like

Are you saying we should give our guests points for discounted gas on top of everything else? You know Airbnb is going to mess up the software for that.

1 Like

Maybe…if they remember them. I couldn’t. We hosts who are fortunate enough to regularly get bookings are in the Airbnb system often—Guests not so much.

It’s the rare guest who books multiple stays on Airbnb within a few months or year’s time. I doubt they will remember the questions.

2 Likes

It isn’t necessary to remember the questions. My point was that it instills an attitude in a guest’s mind that every little thing about a listing is worthy of examining with a fine tooth comb and commenting on.

3 Likes

Some already do…I appreciate my guests but it is the rare guest who invests much time commenting on more than a couple items in the review.

2 Likes

Only if the survey questions brought up information that the guests didn’t already know about. They can and will see all of these things that were mentioned on other hosts’ listings and some of them in the search bar.

I would imagine most guests already examine a listing with a fine tooth comb prior to booking, I know I do. It’s only shopping, like any other shopping.

If you were going to buy a new appliance, you would shop looking at features and details prior to purchasing. It’s not like that GE post-purchase survey is going to alert you to the fact that a self-cleaning oven was an option. You would already be aware of that.

1 Like

I would not have waited!

1 Like

I would not now, but this was prior to hosting and I just wanted to be a good guest. We were only 20 minutes down the road when I got a nasty message from her. She wanted to know what the 5 dollars by the TV was for (she somehow missed it during her inspection).

I told her that we had rented an episode of something (Dexter, I think) and that it was $1.99 so we left her a $5 bill to cover it and then some. Boy, was she pissed. We would have asked first but she had already gone to bed on the other side of the house and we figured it would be okay if we left money for it. There was nothing in her 11x14 framed (seriously) house rules about it either, we checked first. She scared me so bad with her message and then she suggested that we not leave reviews for one another. And I fell for it.

1 Like