Coffee machines

Coffee machines. Expensive additions? Pod type or full montys.
What’s your opinions? What have you got? How about byo pods?

1 Like

As idiot proof as possible- 2 broken so far

3 Likes

I use a plain old drip type coffee, not the machine but the type that you put the filter holder on top of the carafe’, bodum is too messy, pods too expensive, drip machines make lousy coffee (in my opinion)

For up to 8 people, I went with a cheap and simple 12-cup model because I expected it’d get broken soon enough. Still going, though.

I find the 1-cup pods to be expensive and wasteful, and the machines much less reliable.

2 Likes

Coffee bags, from Taylors of Harrogate. Used like tea bags, with three strengths to choose from, including de-caff. Loads of guests have asked where they can buy them to take home.

Available on line.

Mr Joan spent £300 on a machine and promptly burned himself. And it was noisy. It sits unused, alongside the bread maker and 5 litre slow cooker.

2 Likes

A cheapish coffee pod machine bought for about $120 which has lasted 18 months so far. I provide pods. Many of my guests are from Melbourne which prides itself on its coffee culture brought here by Italians, Greeks and Jewish immigrants after WW2. And since the nearest decent coffee place is 10km away it is better than instant or plunger coffee which I also provide. This topic has come up before several times and usually ends up with people explaining their different names for coffee delivery appliances. But like most of these things it depends on your market and your guests expectations, If I lived in a big city near good coffee shops I wouldn’t bother with a coffee machine but give them instructions on where to find one.

I have a pod machine that I bought second hand for 20€. I only put a couple of pods in the container for each guest for the first morning they’re there, then they can get their own.

4 Likes

Keurig with about 8 ‘starter’ pods (including a couple of decaf that are rarely used) and after that they buy their own.
Cafetiere for guests who are particular about their coffee and bring/buy their own ground beans.
Yorkshire teabags and herbal teabags - again, just a few to get them started.

TEAPOT & ELECTRIC KETTLE :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We provide a 12-cup coffee maker (drip style), large jar of whole coffee beans, and coffee grinder.

But we also have paper coffee cups, with plastic lids, for guests to take their hot coffee with them at check-out.

1 Like

I’m at a bit of a disadvantage because I don’t drink coffee and don’t feel compelled to provide premium. I have a basic drip coffee maker and buy columbian coffee in bulk and the shrinkwrap and freeze and leave a mason jar of coffee in the fridge. Sometimes guests won’t drink coffee for weeks and then a I get guests who will finish the entire container of coffee in one stay. It seems younger folks want their high end coffee where older guests are happy with the coffee maker. I refuse to get the pods. Seems too expensive IMHO.

2 Likes

A Mr Coffee coffee maker with a stainless-steel carafe:
Coffee Maker on Amazon
The double-walled carafe keeps the coffee hot, and it won’t break. No burner that stays on, so it’s safer and uses less energy.

3 Likes

I have a small room with attached bathroom, not an entire self contained apartment. I provide a kettle for boiling water, good quality instant coffee with sweetners and both half and half and plant based creamer. It’s a small room and I don’t have space for a variety of appliances. I also don’t want to deal with coffee maker clean up. As I jokingly tell the guests, these are emergency rations. I need coffee so I can go get coffee in the morning and this serves that purpose. In both Poland in a rented apt. and New Zealand with friends, this was the option provided. If someone wanted upscale coffee they could go to a coffee shop to get it.

In my own home I have this coffee maker and would put this one in my Air room if I upgrade. It’s only 5 cup so would need a different one in a large home. No pods here.

1 Like

I’ve tried every type and I gave up.

1 Like

Coffee things I provide:

• A regular machine for filter coffee
  • Then I have whole beans with a grinder for a Bodum coffee maker
  • Nespresso coffee pod with a packet of pods
  • Instant coffee and a kettle

Just this last guest I had (from France) dinged me with overall stars to only 4 as I didn’t have a Espresso- machine (those crazy expensive ones) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I’m not sure where you are. I’m in Southeastern USA

I provide two coffee machines
1 cusinart 12 cup drip (Costco sale price $28)
1 keurig pod type brewer with large tank (big lots sale price $48)

So far I end up replacing a machine at least 1 machine every 18 months. I don’t know why —I have the same machines at home that have lasted 5 years.

I’m always surprised at how much use the keurig gets and how many guests ask before booking if there is a Keurig.

My location also has a Starbucks 1/2 mile south, a cute local tea and coffee shop within a 1/10 mile (walking distance). And a Dunkin’ Donuts 1/2 mile north. So there is no shortage of coffee & tea options.

1 Like

I have a french press and a regular dripping machine. I will never ever buy those Keurig pollutants. I buy Folgers coffee and invite guests to bring their own if they don;t like that.

People’s taste in coffee vary greatly. I for example drink Greek coffee at home.

I have a Cuisinart 14 cup electric coffee maker. It came with a reusable gold toned filter.

On the top of the coffee machine is a label that says the filter is inside the machine and paper ones are unnecessary. The instruction manual is the house guide.

There is also a 10 cup French press, and a little Krups grinder.

(Keep in mind I rent out a 3 bedroom house for up to 5 people. If I had a smaller place, I’d scale down the size of the coffee makers.)

There are both whole bean coffee and ground coffee.

There was a nice Kitchen-Aid electric kettle, but this weekend’s guests thought it was a traditional kettle and put it on the gas stove.

Fortunately they left cash to replace it. I need to go get a new one today. I’ll probably create a label to put on it.

“Electric kettle, do not put on stove.”

Sigh. I’m afraid guests will think I’m insulting their intelligence.

Pods or k-cups get pretty expensive. As a huge coffee drinker, I don’t like the way they taste. I think the water doesn’t get hot enough. There are also possible health issues with drinking hot beverages that have come in contact with plastic.

1 Like

I have a cheap Tassimo machine in each of my rooms with a slightly more upmarket one in the common lounge. Tassimo because you can get tea pods for them not just coffee.

I put a selection of coffee/tea and espresso pods in each room and have a big bowl in the guests lounge with a variety selection of pods if they fancy something else (you can buy variety bags of pods from Amazon).

Works well, all machines are still going after 12 months use and seem to be generally idiot proof.

They also have access to a kettle in the shared kitchen and I also have a spare kettle guests can take to a room if they wish.

I can’t get that article about how pod machines are bacterial cesspools out of my mind. Shiver. But I can’t in good conscience use pods, anyway. I personally can’t put convenience and personal profits ahead of what those things are doing to the planet. (Even the “compostable” ones will only break down if they are sent to a commercial composting facility, which are very rare, and few municipalities offer pickup for them.)

2 Likes

I don’t like them for environmental reasons. Also the machines tend to be huge and I have a small kitchen. But most importantly, no one who likes good coffee would prefer a Keurig. I’m not sure I want to attract the kinds of guests who “ask if there is a Keurig.”

3 Likes