Coffee creamer options?

Milk wouldn’t do it for me. Rather have it black than with milk. Gotta be cream.

I’ve not yet been a guest (had lots of those Superhost vouchers go to waste), but it’s definitely something I’d ask the host about before check-in. If they don’t provide cream,that’s fine, I’d just know I had to bring my own.

1 Like

I’d rather have it without either milk or cream. A drop or two of brandy is good though. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Makes me think of that old joke about taking your coffee like you like your men/women. I guess you like yours hot, black and boozy?

I like mine tepid, black and bitter. More fun than it sounds. :smiley:

2 Likes

Since nobody’s mentioned it: Land O Lakes Mini Moos.

Some people say they’re wasteful, but my experience was they were less wasteful than a small carton of half&half.

And yeah, nobody touched the Coffee Mate and I don’t blame them.

1 Like

That’s what I use. I wish the individual pods had expiration dates on them since only the box does. When I have loose ones in a bowl I sometimes test them in my morning coffee to insure that they haven’t turned. I guess I could write a date on them when I put them in the bowl, but I’m usually not that detail oriented.

1 Like

This is what we do, too. We provide a “welcome pack” of food and beverages, including a carton of milk and coffee for the week (locally-grown in St Lucia in case you coffee snobs were wondering). But no cream(er).

In almost eight years of doing this, only a handful of guests have asked to be sure there is cream(er) in the welcome pack. If they ask, we add it.

1 Like

haha, my husband teases me about this. when travelling in rural Australia i remain foolishly optimistic that i’ll get a decent coffee.

well, while we are splitting hairs… soy milk is bean juice, NOT milk. ha.

back on topic:
we put milk in glass jars in the fridge (usually gin bottles). We used to do cartons/bottles of milk but got sick of the plastic waste. Sometimes we put in almond milk in a tetra box, (a small one) but where does that end? Almond? soy? oat? macadamia? coconut? there’s a lot of alternate “milks” out there and I don’t want to start catering to every tiny group. If a guest mentioned it beforehand we’d be happy to provide them with whatever they requested.

2 Likes

I agree. I wouldn’t expect anyone hosting me to do it (we use oat milk) so I don’t intend to myself.

I think they’re horrible and wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole :slight_smile: @shinylizard

2 Likes

We already have a regular guest who uses oat milk so it’d be a shame if you didn’t mention it because we are well-stocked with it. I’d hate for it to sit in the storage right below your apt whilst you’re stuck with the half-n-half :upside_down_face:

Brilliant idea. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Edit: In fact, now the idea has been mooted, I think that I should tell guests that we are vegetarian and therefore have vegetarian (and some vegan) products in our own home and they only have to ask if they need any.

1 Like

I do sort of ask in my booking message to make it easier. “Do you have any dietary preferences that you’d care to let us know about?”. It’s slipped in there in a way that no one feels pressured to answer. About half of guests mention something (often something that is not relevant like shellfish allergy because I’m not setting up any shrimp for anyone, lol). It really makes my job easier knowing what they’ll eat or not and less waste.

1 Like

Some of those allergies are so severe that the person doesn’t have to ingest the food to have a reaction, all that has to happen is that a utensil that has some peanut butter or shellfish juice on it grazed their plate.

When my daughter and son-in-law owned and managed a big restaurant, a woman once told the server she was highly allergic to shellfish, and the server said she would alert the kitchen staff. The woman was served her meal, whatever it was (not shellfish, obviously) started eating, and went into full-blown anaphylactic shock, the ambulance called.

Then she tried to sue them. She lost. She was an idiot- you don’t go to a busy 300 seat restaurant which has an extensive seafood menu and expect that the kitchen staff, frantically pumping out meals, can make sure that nothing that has touched shellfish touches your plate.
If I was so deadly allergic to shellfish, or whatever, I certainly wouldn’t be going to restaurants which have such things on the menu. There’s plenty of places that don’t.

1 Like

I understand. I have a saffron allergy like that, have had the ambulance a couple of times. And when I was new to NY, I became aware of “curry row” because I walked down the block on a particularly nice spring day and they all had their doors open. I was having trouble breathing by the time I made it to Second Ave.

Nonetheless, I am not policing my listings for allergens, but I do clean very very well.

Not so fast.

Every school child knows that “according to the FDA or Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act [FDCA] the definition of milk is of a substance that is produced from a ‘lacteal secretion.’” But Webster’s defines milk, in a secondary definition, as “a liquid resembling milk in appearance.” Since nuts don’t lactate, how did the Courts resolve this conflict??

On May 24, 2017, the United States District Court Central District of California decided on the Cynthia Cardarelli Painter et al., v. Blue Diamond Growers et al., case. https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/memoranda/2018/12/20/17-55901.pdf . This highly charged farmers dispute at the district court level was won by Blue Diamond Almond Growers, the court agreeing to dismiss the dairy milk industries’ suit.

Websters dictionary notes that a secondary definition of milk is a byproduct of a plant.

The source for all this? Attorney Frederick Penney Tries To Understand The Milk Wars

But your point is well taken!

Well they changed the definition of “vaccine” to appease a powerful group too.

And it’s not long before “woman” has no definition. Clown world has not peaked yet.

My dad is an old farmer, what can I say, he pointed out many years ago that these companies are hijacking a best selling product, to help sell theirs, by lying. What was wrong with “juice”? Anyway, he also thinks skim milk is for pigs (cos that’s who used to be fed that until it was marketed to dieting women), and he also thinks lamb shanks are ‘dog food’. :sweat_smile:We ran lambs for many years and I could never convince him otherwise, no matter how skilled i think i might be with a crock pot. He’s a wonderful old timer, i’ll miss his ilk when they are gone.

1 Like

WAWA. Or so I’ve heard.

Home share host. I tell them before they arrive that I have half and half in the fridge and many are very happy with that. Longer stay guests have always gone out to buy their favorite flavored creamer or arrived with it if they’ve driven down.

I do ask so I can get them a small starter creamer. I tried the Mini Moos but hated the plastic and chemical party.

Can’t stand that stuff.

My daughter LOVES Buc-ee’s. I’m baffled.

You might want to get a bottle of Buffalo Trace’s Bourbon Cream. It’s the most amazing, decadent stuff on the planet. In your coffee, in root beer (just try it), over ice, over ice cream, in hot cocoa…
we put milk in glass jars in the fridge (usually gin bottles).
I like your style!

3 Likes

Good to know for my east coast trip in Aug.

1 Like

Wawa isn’t in Kentucky yet. You’ll have to make do with Buc-ee’s in Richmond, KY.

:exploding_head: A high school friend’s daughter is hooked on Wawa coffee. When she was living in Hawaii (with some of the best coffee on the planet at her doorstep), her Mom would bring an extra suitcase full of Wawa coffee beans to her.

Completely baffled me.

I’m glad to read that you’re going to the concert and found a nice place!

That’s the Oct trip. In August I’ll be in Baltimore, Philly and DC and will be driving in MD and Philly.

I’m going to multiple concerts on multiple trips.

3 Likes