Cleaning hacks?

I’ve considered getting one for my part of the house. I had one about 10 years ago but it was overwhelmed here and I wasn’t boarding dogs yet. Now I think one just to keep the common areas or my bedroom (one or the other) fur free might be a good idea. How large an area is the space you use this on. And before I buy it, you don’t have any kind of referral code do you?

1 Like

I basically have 3 master suites, a living room and a dining kitchen. Each is circa 350 sq feet, and I do one of them each day or at room turnover. Sometimes two areas.

For best results, it’s good to put velcro ties or something on all electrical cords so they are 4 inches + above the floor. As well as come up with a system to move lighter things right off the floor, i.e., I move the dining room chairs briefly into the kitchen, the umbrella stand briefly on the coach, and so forth, so the Eufy can basically really sweep up everything, the sewing machine stand onto the stair landing, etc., at least for deep cleans.

I found a $30 coupon code for Eufy here, for a different model to mine (it says it is upgraded):

https://www.amazon.com/coupons/brands/eufy/brands-ZXVmeQ==

And I would be happy to split an Amazon Associates referral discount to myself (not sure what it is, 1% 2% 5%??) with you for this couponed model, the 30 model:

https://amzn.to/2DF5JWP

And here is the 11s model I have, about equal in stars (4.5+) to the couponed one, this link has a referral code that I’d be happy to split, the earlier link above does not:

https://amzn.to/2GT7jpU

1 Like

Thanks for all this! I’ll have a look when I get home from a rare day off today. I don’t need half a referral amount, just happy to share.

2 Likes

You bet! Enjoy the day off.

From what I can tell, the Model 30 w/ the coupon is the way to go. Apparently from reviews, it’s more rugged and does an even better job than Model 11.

@Brian_R170
What i do with the refrigerators in my summer cottages is use a light or flashlight to check underneath them and as they are apartment sized, not that heavy so i can pull them out slightly and tilt them up on wooden blocks to get underneath with long handled brush and my homebrew vacuum extension (made of 2 ft of 1" drain tubing and a short piece of larger tube as connector to certain vacuums, other wise i put drain tube into vac nozzle). That extension REALLY helps getting under and around sides of fridge and stoves!!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a pretty good method. The refrigerator in my listing is large (25 cubic feet). Tilting it would be life-threatening, but it’s on wheels and the floor is tile, so it’s only a little tedious to move it in and out, but not to strenuous. Unfortunately, unlike other refrigerators I’ve had in the past, the gap at the front near the floor is so small that it’s near impossible to look underneath to see if there are any spills or crumbs under it. On the plus side, it’s also a lot harder for crumbs to get underneath it.

Not coincidentally, after my guest checked out yesterday and after responding to this thread, I decided to pull it out. It had been a couple months since I pulled it out. There were only a couple of crumbs, but dust bunnies were just starting to form on the floor, so I guess I’ll be doing it at least once a month now.

Thank you! Ordered a used copy.

Also, I keep a running list of quarterly and annual cleaning/maintenance chores on my phone. So things like vacuuming the refrigerator coils and replacing the filters in the fan over the stove get done on a regular basis.

One more thing – when you see something that needs attention, take care of it immediately. If I don’t clean or take care of something when I notice it, there’s a very good chance I’m not going to see it on my next pass-through - but you can be darn sure that guests will notice! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a Frigidaire and to clean underneath from the front, I pull off a plastic grill. Then I can fit my vacuum cleaner attachment under there.

1 Like

@CeeBee
On one of my cottage fridges, the coils are quite hard to get to underneath so last time, after summer season finished, I used leaf blower to blow it out. Have used wet/dry vac as blower also.

1 Like

My Roomba has been doing a great job. When I’m not here and folks do self check-in I warn them not to be disturbed if they hear the Roomba buzzing around, bumping into the door, etc. It handles my hardwood floors and small area rugs just fine.

3 Likes

I had a roomba for years and with three dogs and kids it was amazing. It roomba’d unto the rain one day when I left the deck door open. :disappointed:

1 Like

I can see its little round bum cha cha cha-ing out the door!

1 Like

Epic, epic review of Rudy the Roomba (sorry for length mods)

Customer Review

[

waylnder
]

5.0 out of 5 stars love it with a caveat

November 4, 2016

Previously my wife and I read the post about someone’s Roomba trailing through dog poop. We laughed and didn’t think another thing about it.

Let me tell you how yesterday went. While at a training for work I receive a text message from my 10 year daughter. “Dad, please call me the floors are dead.” I assumed that auto correct had gotten involved and was trying to figure out what it had corrected from. Also in the back of my mind I assumed our 14 year old lab Dalmatian mix had passed away, only to be found by our daughter. I attempted to call my daughter with no answer and then called my wife. My wife had received the same text and had talked to our daughter.
Our lab is fine, our daughter was not. It appears that during our absence our 85 pound Band-dog mastiff had a bit of stomach distress. This in its self isn’t a big deal as pet owner we understand that periodically “poop happens.” What caused our very articulate 10 year daughter to become stymied was the fact that Rudy (our Roomba’s name) at 1415 hours started his tour of duty.
Our daughter entered the house at around 1430. Rudy had been diligently cleaning our house for 15 minutes give or take. It seems that he had made a bee line towards the piles of dog stomach distress and then gleefully in a poop filled rampage “cleaned” the house. I don’t know if dog excrement somehow is a super boost to Roombas (much like speed boosts on video games) or if Rudy somewhere deep in his programing has a code built in that basically states “if dog mess is found, crank all operations up to 11.” But it appears that in a very small bit of time he had somehow traversed into the master bedroom, the hall way, kitchen and of course the living room.
As any Roomba owner knows they travel in spiral patterns; they bump into walls and furniture and they stop and spin looking for dust or hair. This built in patterning is truly effective in the elimination of pet hair, dust and small bits of debris. This patterning also seems to mimic the path a three year old hopped up on red bull and given an open full paint can, would have. If you keep the afore mentioned three year old in mind and substitute poop for paint that is what we are looking at. Roombas also have a small propeller like, brush attachment. This attachment sticks out in front of the Roomba. Its’ original purpose appears to be reaching into corners where the round Roomba cannot reach. Unfortunately, this attachment also seems to have the ability to violate the known laws of physics by flinging poop in all directions, angles, around corners, inside locked cabinets, and oddly straight up in the air to hit a 12 foot ceiling. So give that three year old a fan and let them swing it around as much as possible.
So back to our daughter, as she entered the house she was struck by a smell that could only be described as Cerebos’s backyard after being fed Taco Bell and Jägermeister for three days. After the initial shock, she looked down, up and around and observed the poopy Pollock patterning on the walls. She immediately went further into the house, (where she got the strength of will I will never know) to find her phone to text her parents.
Before she could reach her phone, a poop flinging Rudy turned the corner and the chase was on. I don’t know what happen in the time between our daughter being spotted by the poop flinging Rudy and the text message, because she refuses to talk about it. She was able to stop the rampage by disabling Rudy and moving him to the backyard. After which she sent the text. I do have a theory on why she sent the “floors are dead” text. She being a normal 10 year girl has yet to witness anything close to the atrocity she saw. Given that she could only process the thought “the floors are dead.” In hopes we would call and she could articulate the carnage.
Back to my wife, I didn’t get all the above information until after the event. I was talking to my wife when she initially entered the house. All I heard was the garage door open, about 20 seconds of silence, a very soft “oh God” and then her telling me “it’s bad, I’ll call you back.” In her shock, she forgot to hang up the phone and for the next 5 or so minutes I could hear snippets of “How did it get there? Why, Oh man we might need to buy a rug, we just put in new floors, Oh God.”
I arrived home at around 1830 hours. Our house smelt of beach and cleaning fluid. My wife and daughter both freshly showered, both sitting down, both having only what can be described as a 1000 yard stare. My wife did say three words, “He is outside.”
I tried to take Rudy apart as much as light and my stomach would allow. As it stands right now some of his parts are soaking in a solution of bleach and water. I am hoping through the next week I will be able to thoroughly clean his outsides and insides.
So if I was to rate the Roomba I would highly suggest it others. We love the little guy, he has cleaned our floors without compliant, been a source of entertainment, and reduces our work load with our pets.
I do have to add one caveat. If you own pets only allow the Roomba to work while you are there. Or you will spend a week cleaning out at poop filled Roomba.

14 Likes

What are you using to clean your home efficiently?

I would also say that you do not need 20 different cleaning products…find products that have multi-purposes. My go to for kitchen cleaning is dawn dish soap it will remove the grease and grime and yes you can use it on windows, blinds etc. I have 5 basic cleaners Pledge multicleaner, Ajax, floor cleaner like Lysol or Fabulooso, Dawn & disinfecting wet wipes.

2 Likes

And I’d like to drop a gentle reminder here that it would be a benefit to reduce the use of plastics. So rather than buying 20 smaller plastic bottles of cleaners, stock the basics, buy the largest size you can and then refill smaller sprayers. Basics here are Dawn, Genesis 950, bleach, vinegar, baking soda, Grout-eeze, hydrogen peroxide.

6 Likes

Our home is hardwood floors throughout and I recently purchased a Bissell Crosswave all in one floor cleaner. My caretaker loves it and it saves a lot of time. Works on tile and rugs too (we haven’t tried it on rugs yet.)

We also keep a round sticky lint roller on each floor and run them over the bedding as we’re making the beds to catch any stray hairs or fuzz. We also use it on all of our upholstered chairs and throw pillows.

We wash the front and back doors after each guest and other windows as needed.

1 Like

I could never make a bed in our STR without a lint roller! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m definitely getting some lint rollers and have just put some new batteries in my headlamp.

I hear you on minimal cleaning products. I have gel bleach with detergent, a multipurpose spray cleaner, a degreaser and a bathroom cleaner for hard water because the water here is horrific.

2 Likes