Cleaning hacks?

I have Model 11, too. I see you help Eufy out by moving cords out of the way. Have you had issues with it getting caught on rugs? Any resolution?

We call it “goofy eufy”. It can’t go more than 5 minutes without beeping it’s stupid robot head off. Sometimes it’s because the rug is too high (it has a hard time with a sisal rug. Always gets hung up on a Persian).
But sometimes even in a completely open area with no obstacles, it will stop moving and start the infernal beeping. :hear_no_evil: At times I’ve wanted to throw it out the f-ing window, the bloody thing is so annoying.
I hate vacuuming. Still preferable to that robot banshee.

I folded under the fringe edges. Today I’m going to trim the carpet pads 1.5 inches on each dimension so it can climb onto the area rugs better.

I think you need to give it a cutesy name. It is beeping in protest at being unloved.

Have a checklist. Here’s mine for routine cleaning. It takes me about 2 hours, but I don’t sit around worrying about how long it takes… basically, I consider the rental to be the source of paying me to clean. And that makes a pretty good hourly rate for cleaning my own home!

Item/Date
air pillows,blankets,comforter,protector
dust (full weekly)
replace sheets
empty coffee maker, clean
check/clean microwave
check/clean fridge
empty and remake ice
clean glasses, mugs
replace trash bags
check,make all beds
restore pillows,blankets,comforter
clean/sanitize bathroom
vacuum
place towels and washcloths on beds
hand towel & washcloth in bathroom
check signs

Replenish:

• coffee
  • snacks
  • sugar, cream
  • gallon water
  • 4 waters in fridge
  • toiletries,TP, tissues

As needed:
Roku: Log out Amazon
Roku: Delete&Reinstall Netflix
Water temp
Check for missing items
Straighten/replace DVDs
Clean Mirrors

Morning of new tenant:
plug in air freshener/Febreze
turn on lights
bathroom nightlight
shades up
set guest thermostat
Add tenant to phone favorites

5 Likes

I should definitely make a checklist to make sure I don’t miss anything.

1 Like

I ended up buying the model 30 and it arrived yesterday. Lucky for me I only have rugs in my living area which I have blocked off due to the dogs. The dogs make a robot vac a good fit for me because I’ve already got all the cords tucked away and stuff off the floor. The only thing it hung on was the threshold of the front door which was open. So I’ll have to run it later in the day when the door is closed.

The Airbnb room is also uncluttered with cords tucked away and no area rugs. I’ve got carpet installed on the bedroom side and tile on the bath/entry side. The entire square footage is about 220 sq ft and the Eufy can run under the bed. I’m running it in there this morning and will see how it does.

For me the major challenge is finding a place to put the charging base. The only spot that would have 3 ft on each side and 6 ft in front is under a bed or in the dining room with all the dining chairs removed. LOL. I think I’ve got a workable spot or I might actually try under the bed.

Funny story last night…I didn’t realize I had pushed a button to have the timer come on. So at midnight it started up. It’s so quiet that it ran about 3 minutes before it made it’s way down the hall towards my room. The whirring and bumping set the dogs off and woke me with a pounding heart as I thought someone was in the house for a moment.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, that’s a Borg-y thing mine does too.

Well, I can see a big part of the time in your description. It seems you are doing a deep cleaning, including the insides of cupboards and drawers after every guest? This seems a bit OCD. Making sure that everything is clean and presentable is a must, but a deep clean and mopping can be reduced to once a week, unless you have a guest who just makes a mess. Take a tip from hotels and use the dirty towels to wipe down surfaces and polish spots from chrome while they are still wet from use. Vacuuming and dusting is a must, but moving furniture to do this a once a month (maybe twice) is all that’s really needed. Behind the fridge?? Who does that more than once a year??

As to the laundry time, you should have enough clean linens and towels on hand so that you can go through at least three guests before you HAVE to do laundry and, if this is an Airbnb separate from your personal living space, perhaps take the laundry with you and wash it at home at your leisure instead of in the unit where you have to wait.

5 Likes

OMG!! Thank you for that!! I laughed so hard I was crying!!! ROFLMAO!!! :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::sweat_smile:

1 Like

While I agree with you on having spares on linen and towels I would never leave wet towels or linens to be washed later. Dry towels maybe but I like to get everything washed up between guests. I know a lot of people use dirty towels to wipe down surfaces but that makes me go eeewww…people shed their skin when they dry off so you are spreading their dead skin over your surfaces. Of course that is my personal peeve…lol…

4 Likes

“… back to our daughter, as she entered the house she was struck by a smell that could only be described as Cerebos’s backyard after being fed Taco Bell and Jägermeister for three days.”

Now THAT’s bad! :rofl:

2 Likes

At least this time it was my fault. I changed it to PM and it started right up at noon. I have found a couple of things it gets hung on but with moving just a couple of things in each room I think this puppy is going to be a great addition to the pack. Now I just need a name for it.

2 Likes

Ah now I didn’t even know that about the timing. Still learning mine after many months.

Shall we have a naming contest? Let’s see … Rover … Furbaby … Swoop Dog … Pack Rat …

I think I’ll name mine Beep Beep, from … ( … Bowie … )

1 Like

I like small slave :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

A few cleaning hacks:

Check linens before stripping bed/piling up towels
(easier to see blemishes. Keep a laundry spot pre-treatment in your supply tub)

Start in a circle and continue, or just do the same routine every time
(eventually saves time and nothing is missed)

Let cleaning products “sit”…my pro cleaners always did this
(spray cleaning solution onto counters, sinks, tubs, toilets and leave for a few minutes. Allows the product to activate and be more efficient)

Let toilet brush dry (stick between toilet seat and rim and close) while finishing the bath
(prevents that ick wet brush from forming and getting gross)

Know where the tag is on your fitted sheets
(use the same brand, helps know on which corner to start)

Make a quick phone note of what consumables are needed and grab in one swoop, if poss.
(saves going back and forth for that forgotten coffee, or toilet paper, sugar, tissues, etc.)

Remove trash last after walk through…not changing bags, but keep trash outside
(was always finding forgotten fluff, or a last swipe across the glass surface with a tissue, etc.)

Those are my only “hacks” but they do save time and made it seem less stressy. I burned out on cleaning anyway…lol and am now (semi) mourning the loss of the cleaning fee…

6 Likes

Oh forgot one…use furniture polish instead of window cleaner. I think most people have heard this one though. Probably similar to the carwax.

This is the funniest product review I’ve ever read! Freaking hilarious!! Will never look at a Roomba the same way… LOLOL

1 Like

that reminds me … i got this to review on Amazon, it’s by far the very best glass cleaner I’ve ever encountered – looks like other reviewers agreed –

https://www.amazon.com/Diversey-Powerized-Professional-Surface-Cleaner/dp/B06ZYDZYXD/

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of this one! Your other tips were great!

1 Like

Great tips here! Similarly, I do the same things in the same order. I spray the walk-in shower, toilet and sinks with hydrogen peroxide cleaner and let sit for a bit while I strip the bed, then wipe the sink & toilet and hose down the shower with the sprayer, squirt toilet bowl cleaner and let it sit. Go from top to bottom, dust and polish up everything – first living space, then kitchenette area, then lastly bath area – with the miraculous damp microfiber cloth, which picks up and “holds” any dust as well as microbes through several cleanings and shines chrome, glass and mirrors nicely. I have a pile of them and boil them periodically to sanitize – like others I would not use used towels to polish up. Scrub the toilet. Lint roller the mattress protector. Make the bed, change out the garbage bags. Then vacuum, and Swiffer if needed. Restock supplies. So I use only 3 different bottles of cleaning products, hydrogen peroxide spray, hydrogen peroxide toilet bowl cleaner, and the Swiffer stuff.

4 Likes

I use towels to dry off any water spots that are still wet because I’m going back over it all with vinegar/magic eraser/microfiber or some other cleaner. The polishing off with a used towel here is just to minimize the hard water deposits.

3 Likes