Charging an Electric Car

No children, no pets, no electric cars!

6 Likes

Like @RiverRock I too thought that it would be an advantage / differentiation to offer my guest house with availability for Tesla charging. I installed one of Tesla home chargers ā€¦ which I mentioned in my listing as available and I was trying to determine an appropriate amount for reimbursement. In my situation Electricity rates vary with the time of useage (higher rates between noon and 7pm) so I was going to limit the use to evening or early morning and possibly add a $5 per day useage charge.

However ā€¦

1. Iā€™ve never had a guest arrive in a Tesla (or another electric vehicle). Only a fraction of my guests have their own cars -> mostly rental cars.
  2. Shortly after I had gotten my Tesla, a ā€˜SuperChargerā€ station opened up a couple miles from my home, so the need for use of my at-home charger was negated.

I see how it would be desirable for those traveling especially when a charging location might not be in proximity. I often choose hotels that have charging stations.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a technical way around for payment. Instead of charging (NPI) for electricity, you could charge for either the use of the cable (if youā€™re suppling one) or the ā€˜accessā€™ to your 220v outlet.

1 Like

I was just at a Hampton Inn in San Diego and they charged $5 for your entire stay for the EV charger and I will go back because of this. @HH_AZ do you have a Tesla or is that charger not getting use at all? I may have used another charger with a J1772 , My Tesla came with an adapter for the J1772 which is pretty common. That would open you up for charging any EV. Thanks for having a Tesla charger I would seek that out.

RR

2 Likes

I have a Tesla and the pictured charger in my garage. The charging station was given to me by Tesla for a couple of referrals that I made, so it allows me to keep the cables (that came with the car) in the car.

2 Likes

In most of the U.S. it really does not cost that much I would not tell a guest they could not plug in.

RR

2 Likes

I agree with @RiverRock.

Before arrival, we had one guest who asked if it would be possible for him to plug in while staying. Since we have a regular outdoor receptacle on the part of the house which is at the end of the driveway it is a convenient place to recharge.

Our house is powered by solar energy generated at a community solar farm so we were happy to honor his request. We would allow other guests to do the same.

4 Likes

Fair statement for a house. Condo, so accessible outdoor outlets are paid by HOA fees. The thought of subsidizing my STRs power usage would be yet ONE MORE thing for the neighborhood anti-STR-ers to gripe about

2 Likes

Yeah, but outdoor outlets in the US are 110V, so itā€™s really uncommon to use them for charging an EV.

Yes but they still can deliver 5 miles of range per hour, so overnight 12 hours will add 60 miles of range. I would appreciate that if I was staying at an AirBnb

RR

1 Like

@Debthecat, Iā€™ve seen comments on other threads from hosts who allow guests to charge e-cars. Those hosts have a car charge connection on their property.

Could you raise your price and offer this to all guests? It seems to me that it would be a real perk for those who have e-cars.

First electric car I have seen.
The stay was paid for by the hospital.
Our electricity costs are very expensive and there is a free one a block away.
To be frank - I dont see this as my problem or cost and resent it that the Dr just assumed he could do this on my bill!

2 Likes

Yes, I understand that so was the $30 the cost for 1 night? That is expensive.

RR

Itā€™s not clear that is the case. The $30 figure is only an estimate based on a website that estimated the cost of charging a Tesla (I think). It doesnā€™t appear that @Debthecat actually knows how much electricity was actually used to charge the vehicle, but rather only that it was charged at some point. It could be more or less, which I think is a problem, at least if requesting compensation. My utility company provides daily usage data which I think would be reasonable to determine excess usage from EV charging, but @Debthecat hasnā€™t specified if this data is available from the utility company.

1 Like

It isnā€™t.
I researched what it would cost to charge that model Tesla in Australia and from what I saw and photographed the car was being charged for over 6 hours.

Bring plugged in for 6 hours does not necessarily mean charging for 6. Not does it mean going from empty to full. Just like your phone when you plug it in it stops charging when it gets full, and actually slows way down before it gets full (once it is at 80% for Teslaā€™s I think). Honestly, the amount used is likely not very much for 6 hours plugged into a 220, even if the battery had been close to empty.

If it bothers you to have people charging because you donā€™t know how much they are using, have them pay up front or tell them in the future (maybe in house rules) that they are not allowed to plug in their cars to any outlet, because they can also get a much slower charge out if a 110 as well as a 220.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly my point.

Also, my math says that in the worst case at a cost of $0.40/kWh, 6 hours at 15A max current draw would cost $8.28.

Itā€™s Australia. 230V only.

1 Like

I am looking into becoming a destination charger for Tesla, they recommend charging no more than $2 an hour based on average U.S. cost per KWH here is what they say it costs and a calculator

Based on the national average for utility rates, your electricity costs work out to roughly ~$1 to $1.50 per hour of continuous charging (You can also use our calculator here ).

So @Debthecat if you know your cost per KWH (on your bill I imagine) you can use that calculator and figure out what it really cost.

RR

2 Likes

Just checking - are you absolutely sure that thereā€™s no catch to this free service. For example a supermarket having a ā€˜free charge for customers spending over $100ā€™?

The reason I ask is that as electricity is so expensive where you are, how can someone (local authority, local business, whatever?) offer it with no charge or catch?

It is usually a grant or subsidy in order to encourage cleaner energy usage and reduction of smog/pollution.

4 Likes

Youā€™ve got it good compared to here (Spain), weā€™re the twelfth highest country, worldwide, for electricity costs.

New Zealand comes in twenty first :smile:

JF

1 Like