Can someone who is not very outgoing be a successful host?

Hi @faheem,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biba

Maybe not distinct personality categories, but it’s good to understand different traits and the needs that go with them.

Eyeborg comes from i-borg, a shortening of my middle name Ingeborg which is an old viking name. I used it as a stage name for a while http://www.eyeborg.co.uk/

I think deep down he does realize I get pissed because he allows this type of person to walk all over him. However, until you can change a person from needing to seek approval, and have their ego stroked…that type will ALWAYS be susceptible to being walked all over. It’s very sad :frowning:

I have met several people over my lifetime and for some reason they have a tendency to exaggerate, lie, etc. - all for seeking approval from others. I could never pinpoint why there was such an insecurity. Hell - I am insecure in so many ways…but I don’t exaggerate things to make myself look better. I know there is something deeper that I just haven’t experienced. At least I can only hope. Maybe I am really the sucker…ha!

We did say something to him directly and he was just as evasive as he was during the booking process. He ignored our direct questions and responded by assuring us it was nothing infectious and we were totally safe. No problem.

We did report it to Airbnb and his account has been deleted. But the thing is, this guy had at least 8 really good reviews. He works for a highly prestigious university, we’re in Ivy League territory so by really good, I mean, top ten. He’s been filmed and is something of a celebrity, certainly a big deal in his field.

So I guess, because of all that, he didn’t feel he owed us, his lowly Airbnb hosts, any explanations or consideration.

I make it very plain in our listing now that this is not an at-your-service style relationship. This is part of the sharing economy and as such it’s an exchange between equals. So if they can’t treat us with the same respect and consideration we show them, they’re not welcome in our house.

We are trying to build something special. We find we really like it and we may, someday, expand into a small boutique hotel. We have worked pretty hard at striking a balance between sustainable design and high style. Everything in the place is chosen really carefully to give them a full, gracious experience of our area.

If and when we ever do move into the hotel business, our guests will get the princess treatment and I’ll have things structured so there’s no possible way for people to be rude or inconsiderate - or at least so they’ll be paying so much for the privilege of being there that it won’t matter.

But we are not a hotel now and I expect people to behave with the same respect we show to them - which is considerable.

It’s really fun to explore all of these options and I am super glad we’re doing it. Most of our guests have been a pleasure and, if you look at our listings, the number one thing they love about the place is us, (followed by decor and breakfast) I know we’re on the right track, I’m just working on how to be sure the guests we host are a good fit for us.

Hi @eyeborg,

Well, my search skills clearly suck. But I already sort of knew that.

Ah. Well, I didn’t think it meant that you were declaring yourself to be part of the Borg collective. :slight_smile:

Hi @cabinhost,

Well, it sounds like you are doing the best you can. You’re not his therapist or his parent.

And it’s very very hard to change adults. Believe me, I’ve tried.

Missing word? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Stephanie_Borns,

Ugh. In that case, it sounds like maybe you should have got the press involved. There might have been a story there. And the guys sounds like a self-important jerk. Sorry you had to deal with his crap. There are people who think the rules don’t apply to them. I think the word “sociopath” is sometimes used.

It was not a matter for the media. I’m a journalist by profession - that is not a story.

We told Airbnb, they deleted him - problem solved.

so , who is your partner then, i thought he WAS your significant other:)
You are totally right, some people do pretend and take advantage. we all came from different backgrounds and values. Not to “screen” is very naive and not businesslike. But also not to trust and be always suspicious is very tiring, and not productive. There is a thin line how to be alert and detect people who are not trustworthy and how to be paranoid and live in fear of evil.
Looks like you are smart in sensing guests who have other intentions, and you partner reminds me someone i live with, hehe.

1 Like

Astounding!!! If he were in a clinic or hospital he would have put that crap in the biohazard containers!
It’s good to vet our guests, but even sometimes the best vetting doesn’t save us from having to host the riff raff. :smile:

I can deffinitly relate. I just came from CA travelling with parents in their 70s, husband and grown daughter. Thats not an easy task balancing few generations 24 hours a day. I felt like comander and chief reserving nice hotels and planning all the tours and restaurants. Now i am ready to take off for a month at least:)
I want to go that island in Belize… but i cant for another 2 years:sob:

4 Likes

My “partner” is my ex boyfriend. I got the rental started by the skin of my teeth. I saved my partner from his primary home to be foreclosed upon. We are opposites when it comes to financial decisions.

He owns the rental and I manage and clean the rental. It is my baby because of all the research and work I did to get it up and going - guests go on and on about how great it is. It is his baby because he built the entire cabin with his own hands. We both are opposites…he is skilled with his hands, and I am skilled with other things.

I almost walked away because he was so idiotic to deal with. He and his stupid buddy were going to open it for rent like some sort of shack. They would have immediately had 1 star reviews. I could go on and on. I literally had to stay in the cabin when his idiot buddy came over to give him bad advice. Basically I refused to leave like a squatter - I claimed my territory and raised all hell. I am glad now I stuck it through. Because now I have all the knowledge to do my own thing with this business.

1 Like

SIgh… i know exactly what you mean:). We should have on line girls night out…Or meet somewhere midway:)

3 Likes

It may not make sense why I was still wanting to deal with the rental - it is because I knew what I was good at doing…and the past work relationships didn’t turn out correctly. This time instead of giving up to a “boss” - I stood my ground and claimed my territory…if that makes sense…

I had way too much time invested in so many things for someone to take something away from me and ruin it into the ground.

1 Like

Hey @faheem,

Borg…? Anyway, here’s a Google street view screen grab of my flat:

2 Likes

Hmm. Registering under a false name? Leaving behind tons of used surgical dressings? In a b&b? Well, if you say so.

1 Like

Hi @eyeborg,

Your flat is clearly out of this world!

2 Likes

If you think that situation was newsworthy, well - spend some time in a newsroom someday. Not news. Happens every single day, many times over.

But what do you think he was doing in there? I can’t think of any reasonable explanation for a respected doctor booking under a false name and treating a patient in an Airbnb instead of a hospital setting.

Um… why ‘younger people’? Those of us who are ‘older’ have been using Google for much longer than the youngsters :wink:

2 Likes

I’m 30 and been using Google since almost the beginning (1999 it would of been) :slight_smile: do i still count as a youngster lol