Bunkbeds in rental

anyone have bunk beds in their listing? Considering it for added sleeping for kids. However, wondering how common it is that a child could fall off and get hurt?

1 Like

I don’t have them. However, my son had bunk beds from the time he quit sleeping in a crib (about age 2) until he was a teenager. He never fell out of them.

There are portable bed rails you could buy that might help. Some bunk beds come with side rails on the top bunk.

It’s not so much they can fall out (the sides should be designed so that can’t happen).

What is more common with boisterous kids is that they can accidentally or deliberately push each other out @Brandt

I say this from experience :blush:

4 Likes

I personally don’t care for them because for me it would be difficult to change the sheets and make the bed.

7 Likes

This. My nephews have bunk beds, and my sister has found they are much harder to work with when it comes to removing the linens and making the beds.

4 Likes

I only see them in listings that are trying to stuff as many people as they can into the space. Usually they have 2 sets of bunk beds or one set of bunk beds plus another bed per room. I guess there’s a market for it, but it makes me cringe.

8 Likes

I had them one season and promptly removed them.

Children used them as monkey bars- hanging from the safety rails.

Based on some of the damage kid on bottom kicked the bottom of the bed above & footboard, the child above kicked rails —anything to pester each other.

My Dad & I did the original assembly (He’s a retired industrial arts teacher). We thought the original hardware needed reinforcing so we used substantial wood screws and glue.

We could’ve repaired them but I think the repair would’ve been an annual event so I replaced them with a Queen bed. It is easier to make up, and more comfortable. Now two adult couples are more likely to rent.

It is a very small bedroom so the Queen bed and small amount of furniture fill the room. It is better than kid-land.

6 Likes

I do, and like the above sentiments, I hate them because they are so hard to make up. My bottom one is a futon so it’s a bit more functional, and the top has the integrated safety rails, but I honestly think only one kid and one adult has ever slept in it. I have a Japanese futon mattress for the twin bunk up top so it is a bit easier to manipulate to make than a standard mattress though.

That room is one like @Brian_R170 says above…set up to allow as many people as possible. (5 in my case because I also have an IKEA trifold futon on the other side of the room that takes up very little space when set as a couch, and is the one I primarily set up when only one or two guests are in that room because it is much easier to make up than the bunk beds).

1 Like

I love them.
Very efficiënt way to add extra beds and kids love them. I have families returning becaus the kids love the beds.

They are a bit harder to make, but there are some tricks like not using heavy mattresses.

These are on my wishlist: https://www.flexinno.at/klappbetten/detail/soft-c-c/

1 Like

That’s why I use a Japanese futon mattress up top.

I have a soft spot for practical gadgety type things and Murphy beds are the bomb. I just watched a short show this week about someone who bought an apartment that had been lived in for 40 years by the same woman. Made the 450? Sq ft one bedroom one bath into a 2 bedroom 2 office 1 bathroom by using those and sliding walls and the like.

This one is famous: https://youtu.be/WB2-2j9e4co

We have one room with bunk beds - adult sized but really intended for children. Also main bedroom is king size. Childrens eys light up when they see the bunks. This suits our demographic really well as we love one couple 2 kids. I agree they can skin your knuckles and often do but well worth it. We could fit a double bed in but prefer it this way. More than happy with 155 5star reviews and repeat business year in year out. We are a contry property in UK so perfect for us. Just make sure you have plenty of elastooplasts. The customer is king!

1 Like

Definitely depends on your demographic. A couple times I have rented a vacation house for my family + other families, and the kids love nothing more than a bunk room where they can all stay together. Bunk beds are the best way to accomplish that and the kids have a blast. However, if you don’t want multiple-family vacationers, or if you have a smaller place, I’d vote for no bunks.

1 Like

We have a 3 BR short term rental on the VA coast which is of course appealing to families with kids. When we bought it last year, the insurance company asked if there was bunkbeds in the unit. When we said there was, they strongly suggested we remove them saying that most of the child injury claims they get are due to bunkbeds. We replaced them with two single beds. We also felt that it was more practical for groups of adults who might rent.

I have a bunk bed and trundle. There is rails and stairs. I wouldn’t want a ladder. I have had special mattresses made so they are light and easy to make. Kids love them. I take only one couple and three kids. It is perfect as the bunk is off the main bedroom.
No problem has been reported. For little kids I take the extra pillow off.

We have a trundle bed and it has been perfect! I think bunk beds have just too much liability!

I bought a adult bunk bed from Amazon, i had lots of bedroom space but felt the beds kept the room looking tidy.
There are good things and bad.
They were too close to the ceiling so i had to saw a bit of each leg.
I also had to attach them to the wall so no one cold pull them over.
They are a right pain to make, well the top one is.
Would i buy them again I might.
As they are fine for adults and children relly like them.
andrew

Check out Disc-O-Bed. It’s a collapsible Bunk Bed/cot. They make a version for adults and a version for kids.

I say a little prayer every time I arrive to clean my listing: “Please don’t let anyone have slept in the bunk beds.”

4 Likes

I do the same with the loft I have. But its the most popular bed in the house!