Breathing easier now, but....may I vent?

My apologies. I read the word “apartment” and my brain added “building” to it.

1 Like

I did on a rare occasion have it mentioned in a review and a thank you but I had by far more who I bent one backwards for who left mediocre 4 or even 3 * reviews. So now I only ever provide what is stated, nothing more nothing less

1 Like

I found that early check in, late checkouts are a PITA and rarely appreciated so I started charging for them. I charge $45 for a two hour early check in or a 2 hour late check out. Most pass and those that do not seem to appreciate it.

RR

2 Likes

I allow both early check-in and late checkout free up to 2 hours and have never had a guest that didn’t appreciate it. I have 1-day preparation time and I know I haven’t been hosting as long as you have, but so far, all guests have been very appreciative.

2 Likes

IF, IF I were to respond…here’s what I thought I’d say. What do you think? Also, if I respond to her review, does she get to respond again? Or do I get the final say?

You asked if it was possible for an early check in. I always try to be accommodating for special requests for early check in and late check out. I had everything ready for you three hours early. I am really sorry for the inconvenience it caused, but in my hurried efforts to have everything ready in the one hour between you and the guest checking out, I made a mistake and inverted two numbers when texting you lock code. I thought perhaps you had forgiven me since thankfully I was right upstairs and able to rectify it almost immediately. Thank you for your feedback - I will certainly check and double check the codes in the future.

1 Like

Also, I had someone who works closely with businesses and the effects of Yelp and TripAdvisor reviews. He told me that the BEST reviews are often from picky, ridiculous customers because of the opportunity for the proprietor to take the high road. That review sequence is often more valuable than a positive review to begin with, according to him. He said that customers frequently look only for bad reviews anyways and skip the sea of good ones because the bad reviews and responses are more instructive. Interesting perspective.

6 Likes

You get the final say. Please just have it here and don’t respond.

Maybe he knows something many highly experienced Airbnb hosts don’t. Maybe he doesn’t.

Maybe responding just highlights the fact that you did send the wrong code and just because you were upstairs and came down right away doesn’t change anything. What if you hadn’t been home? What if you are ever in a hurry again and make that mistake again? Maybe I should book with someone who has no record of making mistakes with the code. How’s that for perspective? LOL.

1 Like

Way, way too grovelly (if such a word exists).

You say that it only took you an hour to get the room ready. Not good even if true. As a guest, I would like to know that the place had been lovingly and lengthily prepared for me. If you can do it in a hour, how do I know that you don’t do that all the time? As a potential guest I don’t want to stay in an Airbnb that was prepared so quickly.

However, you’re not going to write in anywhere but here so that’s fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see your point. I must say that I think if I were the customer doing a search, that wouldn’t be my take on it. My interpretation would be that this reviewer was a pretty unappreciative person. But, I reached out here for the wisdom of the group and NOT replying at all is certainly the majority opinion. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you for being open to all ideas! Way too many people come here looking for an echo chamber.

Yes, we all have our biases. Like when someone here says “I wouldn’t stay in a place with so many rules!” or “I wouldn’t stay in a place that allows dogs!” as if they are the be all of guest attitudes. LOL.

One thing for sure, responding to a review does definitely highlight it. I’d ignore and let it scroll away off the first page.

2 Likes

Grovelly! Ha! I was going for opposite of snarky. Fail all around, I guess. I give up. :wink:

But just to explain, it is a small flat, and I have duplicates of all the bedding and towels (of course), with no cooking mess, some dusting, vacuuming, bathroom cleaning since the previous guest was a hardly in the unit one nighter, I am super efficient and can do a proper transition in approx. one hour if I have/need to.

2 Likes

I’m constantly booked so you’re right, it won’t be long before her review (with NO response from me) is deeply buried.

4 Likes

The opposite of love isn’t hate it’s indifference. Don’t let them see you sweat.

1 Like

May I at least reply to her privately? Pretty please? haha. No worries, I won’t…

2 Likes

Can you post her entire public review? I don’t think have done that. Does she even mention the mix up entry code?

2 Likes

I’ve just spat “bitch” out loud. My current guests looked so bemused, I think I’ll have to explain!

My brain-sparse geneticists sent me a message they would check in at 6 pm, then sent me another at 5 pm asking where I was; they were outside. I was about five minutes away at a friend’s house, so recommended they wait for me in the pub next door. I was there in five, but still got dinked on their check in experience. I was furious, particularly as they left their rooms in a complete mess, wet towels on beds etc.

3 Likes

A

I think there’s something in that and I’ve got to admit I often do it myself. Sadly, the really bad reviews are often more entertaining in a horribly fascinating kind of way … though obviously NOT for the poor unlucky host.

Let’s face it, unless a place is an absolute hell hole, in which case it should have gone out of business ages ago, few reasonable people will give only one star, they will usually try to find at least something good to say. The vicious one-stars followed by a gracious, reasonable but ungrovelling reply from the host/proprietor always makes me cheer!

4 Likes

It was too harsh to give 3/5 stars for such a trivial hic up and in view of the early check in you allowed.

Even so this is far too little to make any difference to your overall rating. People look at the general picture and not minor details here and there.

1 Like

Yes, nothing is the best response. Responding to anything negative tends to associate negativity with your listing on the eyes of potential guests. And remember, no good deed goess unpunished. Many people quickly convert a favour into a given after it is granted and don’t feel indebted, particularly when it happens as part of a business transaction.

I do back-to-back bookings so always say no to early check-in / late check-out. I offer the alternative of allowing them to leave their bags in the corridor if they arrive early or leave late. There are plenty of places for them to go just around the corner. Although it is a favour to them it takes nothing out of me.

Yep, same here. My worst guest asked for accommodation after accommodation. Now, I don’t play. Rent my house, at the hours it is offered, at the price it is offered. Or GO AWAY.

5 Likes