Breathing easier now, but....may I vent?

I know my listing is different but I just have to share my alternative experience. A woman booked yesterday within an hour of me opening the day after it being blocked the past two weeks. The request to book from someone with zero reviews just said “in town for music festival.” Also had a request for 11am to 1pm check in. So I accepted (so if there is an issue they get to call Airbnb and be inconvenienced and I maintain my perfect accept rate). I said "I accepted but you can check in at 11, the room isn’t ready from the people who just checked out. " The room was ready because the prior guests left at 4 am but I wasn’t going to allow that early of a check in. I also made note of her use of “we” while booking for one. So I messaged her at 1 and said room was ready…all 3 of them. I don’t currently have an extra person charge but I do have a limit of two and a “no unregistered guests” rule. So sure enough 3 stayed so she lied in the message thread about number of guests in addition to asking for early check in.

However, they were fine guests. Very quiet and clean. They seemingly didn’t shower, they didn’t clean me out of amenities or eat all the snacks. I’d take these 3 over 30% of the couples I’ve had. So as has been my experience, the “red flags” mean nothing. (reminder this is for a room and bathroom not an entire house; I get that a real VR has different standards by necessity).

I’m happy for you that it all worked out in the end! I know the feeling - initially being sort of on high alert. Just a hunch. Then, it turns out totally fine and the guests are lovely, appreciative and leave the space in great condition. 99.9% of my guests, truly. Yours too?
P.S. I hope you enjoyed your two week vacation from hosting.

Absolutely. I have so few problems I don’t know why I’m even on the forum. LOL.

This probably sounds odd but I kind of miss it. And just now I’m cleaning the vacuum from 11 nights x 2 women with long hair. Ahhhhhhhhgggggghhhhhhh! And today a past guest asked me about a long term (up to 6-7 month) stay. I quoted him a price but don’t know if I want him to accept.

To help the rest of us, of course!! :wink:

3 Likes

I have looked for the advice and wisdom of those doing this longer than I for a number of reasons not having to do with guests’ behavior. One, not being able to see my listing and a lull in booking. Concerned that if I couldn’t see my listing, perhaps guests weren’t finding it either. That just self corrected. Second issue lately, being underpaid and over-promised for supplying Air with a new host. No one on Airhostsforum ever responded. Losing steam in dealing with it.

It could be no one saw it, or no one has any experience with it. And if we haven’t all we would say is call Airbnb.

I know Airbnb can be frustrating but it seems that most people get attached to the revenue it brings in. Some do better with other platforms, some stick with Airbnb for years, all the while doing their “sky is falling” routine. LOL.

1 Like

It’s not clear how this is AirBNB’s issue. You have the ability to set that rates that you want, AND that will sell. It’s all based on the product / service you’re providing, the competition, the demand, and how you market what you have.

My view is that ABNB provides the platform and tools for you to engage; From there it really is up to you. As has been noted in this forum, many choose to use other sites in addition to ABNB, as well as to book returning guests directly (off platform).

I don’t know if that addresses your concern but wanted to at least acknowledge it.

Wait. What I am referring to is Airbnb offering various amounts for hosts to refer other people to be new hosts. Air provides a link to send to a friend, they set up a new account and successfully host their first guest and the referring host gets paid by Airbnb. Have you never had this offer on your Airbnb host page?

First, I’m solely on Airbnb and not looking to expand to other hosting sites. Perfectly content here.
I have not been pleased with what feels like bait and switch situation, but probably more likely a mismanaged program, I am in with Airbnb offering money to hosts to refer friends to sign up to be new Airbnb hosts. For me the offer was $240 and I received $120 - that is what I was asking the community…if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks for the clarity … I pretty much ignore those messages; I think i get one every time I finish a review of a guest. I find them annoying so if anyone knows how I can “opt out” I’d be grateful.

I’d suggest you take a screen print of what you were offered and work with customer service to fulfill their end of the deal; that is unless there are some caveats to their offer.

My latest guests just checked out a few hours ago. As I clean the space, I am dancing a jig; I have the next 4 weeks blocked! Wa-hoo!!!

If I find myself missing anything, I’m pretty sure it’s going to be the money :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enjoy your time off.

I just had a ton of rocks that they call cobble stone delivered. Large, (3 to 10 inches) rounded. I’m going to move the entire ton by hand from my front driveway to my back yard and use them for various landscaping projects, mostly related to keeping the dogs out of things. Like jaquo I think of a lot of the “work” I do as exercise and I’m blessed to still be able to perform pretty much any task I care to perform.

4 Likes

I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve done this with so many different customer service reps at Air. Screen shots, copies of the link, the fine print, etc. etc. Everyone there “wishes they could be of more help!” It’s pretty maddening. It isn’t even about the money anymore - it is the principle.

1 Like

If you’ve done that, have all the backup documentation to support your claim, have played “I’d like to speak to your supervisor” card, have advised that unless resolved you will take to social media to voice your frustration … then I can’t offer anything other than to take it to social media.

• #AirBNB is not complying with providing $ they committed they would

• #AirBNB Customer Service is worthless

or whatever you think is appropriate to get their attention.

1 Like

That’s a lot of rock! Please be careful…it doesn’t hurt while you are doing it, but the next day can be a doozy!

2 Likes

I wish I’d gotten more! But the project is done. I replaced a hodgepodge of wood, brick, rock, fencing and junk with rock and a fiberglass fountain. And I didn’t injure myself.

indy%20likes%20it

7 Likes