Assaulted by a Male Guest as a Former Superhost

In part, possibly large part, a function of London bankers making the big bucks (or the big pounds sterling) financing both sides of the Civil War.

Iā€™m beyond astounded at some of the responses here. I am a skeptic of the first order, but never, if I can help it, kneejerk. Everything about the O.P.'s post struck me as reasonable and in fact, pretty calm considering the circumstances.

Thereā€™s a reason this is called ā€œthe mean girls forum,ā€ and itā€™s threads like this. WTF is with micro-analyzing the reporting of the gender of the assailant and whether the O.P. is a Superhost? Welcome to Crazy Town.

Iā€™ll say this, if none of you have ever had your entire livelihood cut out from under you when you were doing everything right, you have NO CONCEPT whatsoever of the mental anguish entailed. I was in a daze for probably a month ā€“ if not more ā€“ when this happened to me. You feel like you are in a small box without good options, completely trapped, slightly panicked even if you are or fancy yourself to be, a cool cat.

Itā€™s the least fun you will ever have.

The point being, the MORE disjointed a victimized host is here in reporting an event, perhaps the more likely the report is genuine. Not that this O.P. was at all disjointed. At any rate, this is a host forum, not the North Carolina Court of Appeals. You donā€™t need video, witness statements and an opening statement by the defense to tell your story.

P.S. on a side note ā€“ donā€™t ever, ever get in front of a car to stop it and/or be anywhere near the potential path of a vehicle driven by a potential assailant. We just lost a police officer here who got run over by the driver for a gang of juvenile burglars. You can find the edited video on YouTube or the Baltimore TV stations. Iā€™m not linking because itā€™s godawful, even edited. The jury saw the whole thing, including when the bodycam fuzzes out as it is awash with blood. Anyway, this may seem unrelated to this topic, but this development occurred to me reading this thread. The criminal mindset is such that, you could get run over even if you think no sane person will act this way.

4 Likes

Good advice, I would just add as a starting point, check that the assailant has assets first ā€“ salary that can be garnished, property that you can put a lien on. Also, @YAABOM, is AirBNB aware of what went down from a) the guest calling in some cockamamie story or b) a crazy review that you can see yourself? If b), lock and load with a defamation suit. If a), you will have to subpoena AirBNB or send them an interrogatory to get the contents of the guest report.

Really - love to see where this forum has been called that.

And the ones calling the host into question were men not women!!

6 Likes

Nope. The cause of the Civil War was slavery.

3 Likes

Only indirectly, at best. South Carolina seceded over the issue, and Lincoln did not want to lose its wealth via taxes. He didnā€™t give a hoot about slavery in the sense of something to create a war over (see below).

A point to consider: how many Union soldiers would have so much have crossed the street to ā€œfree slavesā€ (zero) at the risk of dying a horrendous death of either getting shot or slowly from infected wounds. Weā€™re talking 1860. Absolutely none. Maybe you could have conscripted a half-dozen abolitionists, at best.

Lincoln wanted to ā€œpreserve the Union,ā€ i.e., access the wealth of the South:

When the American Civil War (1861-65) began, President Abraham Lincoln carefully framed the conflict as concerning the preservation of the Union rather than the abolition of slavery. Although he personally found the practice of slavery abhorrent, he knew that neither Northerners nor the residents of the border slave states would support abolition as a war aim.

Source: History.com: Emancipation Proclamation

Look to bankers and economics, always. They profit from war. They love war. War = huge personal gains. Peacetime, not so much. So ā€“ Lincoln decided that the voluntary union of these varied states needed to be involuntary ā€“ for a pair of economic reasons: the massive wealth of the South in those times, and the concomitant interest of London bankers in making huge profits on both sides of the war.

You called it sister.

See:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/akssw3/change_to_guest_preview_before_accepting/

littleheaterlulu

3 months ago

Airhost forum is good too but be forewarned itā€™s got a mean-girl vibe.

Apparentlyā€¦ everyone in the Union Army would have, and did.

This is the scary part of the racism and supremacy world that is still festering in the US - rebranding the Civil War as a fight for ā€˜states rightsā€™ rather than ā€˜human traffickingā€™. So sad, and sadly, we Americans have a Republican party that is silent about thisā€¦

3 Likes

Haha. I was just saying to my other half the other day how Reddit is a bloody awful place to be with so much nonsense written there. Truly.

However, I wonder if discussions regarding the Civil War and so on could be taken elsewhere? Reddit maybe?

This is a forum for experienced Airbnb hosts to offer their advice and help to newer hosts, or a place for hosts to vent and ask questions about situations they havenā€™t encountered before. Canā€™t we please keep it that way?

3 Likes

So not so much ā€˜calledā€™ aka known as @PuppyLover , but just a throw away remark made by one person on a forum.

1 Like

I agree. Sorry I couldnā€™t resist as Iā€™ve been fighting the ā€œrebrandingā€ of civil war history as Rolf calls it for 40 years. Youā€™d think Iā€™d stop. LOL. No more history lessons from me here.

5 Likes

With apologies to @jaquo (my last post, promise!)

Edited to remove the US Civil war related content.

One could only wish it were just that, and not more.

In reality most of Airbnb customer service / case managers came from retail service background.

They have little to no sympathy for us hosts. We are perceived as business owners who can afford to take some losses.

Airbnb donā€™t even pay these people living wages and if you are unlucky your case will be assigned by a manager based in different continent.

Whenever I have issues with guests I remind myself that itā€™s better to accept a small loss, inconvenience than getting Airbnb involved.

Good luck hosting through this yearā€™s busy season everyone.

Yeah, blame the victim! Really? Sorry, but Iā€™ll believe her! After all she has a cking police report. This sound like the usual ABB customer disservice clusterck.

5 Likes

What she said. Blaming the victim is NOT helping, and discourages new folks from posting. Admins, many of us are sick of @Klatchers agressive posts and disrespect for the victim in this case. Maybe time to give him/her a rest from this forum?

1 Like

Then why are you badgering her? Youā€™re as bad a @Klatchers! Stop attacking a victim!

1 Like

Although I was not assaulted, I am in a similar situation currently. A man stayed at my place and I get a call in the middle of the night from AirBnB saying I have a place that is unsafe. I have had over 90 groups in my house since December. No complaints about safety. So I push back and now I cannot reach anyone. Is there a backdoor number or some way to reach around the case managers? I am about to be deactivated, I can feel it. I did nothing wrong. Not unlike you. Please help me.

Post it on their Twitter. That usually gets quick results.

If it was more Iā€™m sure you would demonstrating this @PuppyLover

Not every forum suits every person. And you continue to post on here. So it seems to suit you.

I see it as rather ironic that you posted a quote from the Reddit forum which is full of nastiness, swearing and trolls.

1 Like