Assaulted by a Male Guest as a Former Superhost

Oh the scenario is very obvious:

Guest wants revenge. Guest calls AirBnB with fake story.
AirBnB helpdesk closes account, based purely on the guests story. (This happens very often)
Hosts tries to contact AirBnB, but is ignored as the account is closed.

There is no way for the Host to tell his side, ore send her proof as she is being ignored.

7 Likes

I suppose you donā€™t realize that the Electoral College controls who wins, and in the modern era it acts to avoid massive cheating in cities, and create a firewall so that massive cheating in cities could be confined to affect only state results and not national results.

Exactly. You get told the case is closed and not up for discussion. Then the AirBNB attorney hammers the SNOT out of you for NOT contacting them and instead, attempting to get the guest to straighten things out, precisely because AirBNBā€™s robots arenā€™t interested. As my video of my second day in court, toe to toe with the AirBNB attorney, demonstrated over and over and over again.

There are an astounding number of stories of this happening on every AirBNB, Reddit, Quora, Facebook, AirBNB Hell, and so on forum imaginable. But, donā€™t take my word for it. Read Sections 15.3 and 15.4 of the ToS:

15.3 Without limiting our rights specified below, Airbnb may terminate this Agreement for convenience at any time by giving you thirty (30) daysā€™ notice via email to your registered email address.

15.4 Airbnb may immediately, without notice, terminate this Agreement and/or stop providing access to the Airbnb Platform if (i) you have materially breached your obligations under these Terms, the Payments Terms, our Policies or Standards, (ii) you have violated applicable laws, regulations or third party rights, or (iii) Airbnb believes in good faith that such action is reasonably necessary to protect the personal safety or property of Airbnb, its Members, or third parties (for example in the case of fraudulent behavior of a Member).

1 Like

@Klatchers You claim to be a writer, have what will be the most important vacation rental in America, paid $1000 to legally bring a family member to the US, and moreā€¦ none of which any of us have any reason to believe is true and I donā€™t think anyone has called your credibility into question.

9 Likes

1000% on the money. AirBNB doesnā€™t want to hear ANYTHING AT ALL about anything. If they hear from a guest, something little, something big, boom, you are out. As I wrote in one of my motions seeking greater damages from AirBNB, the potential for abuse here is staggering. If any host wants to knock out all their rivals, just send proxies as guests and have them make up criticisms. The critical reviews will kill of your rivals, because AirBNB has absolutely NO checks and balances, except for hosts to respond by filing a lawsuit. That eventually gets their attention.

See:

Reddit: Rival Host Sabotages my Listing with Fake Review - Airbnb say itā€™s Acceptable

3 Likes

When the Constitution was written the population was overwhelmingly rural (about 95%). It was deliberately created because the founders didnā€™t trust the masses of people to elect a competent President, to prevent tyranny and also to protect the slave holding states (smaller population states). All the talk about why the EC was created and/or the founderā€™s intent is ridiculous anyway since the EC has not operated the way the founders envisioned since 1796. The development of political parties made the idea that competent people would deliberate and choose the most qualified to be president impossible.

Hamilton in the Federalist 68 says this is why the EC was created:

It was equally desirable, that the immediate election should be made by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice. A small number of persons, selected by their fellow-citizens from the general mass, will be most likely to possess the information and discernment requisite to such complicated investigations. It was also peculiarly desirable to afford as little opportunity as possible to tumult and disorder. This evil was not least to be dreaded in the election of a magistrate, who was to have so important an agency in the administration of the government as the President of the United States. But the precautions which have been so happily concerted in the system under consideration, promise an effectual security against this mischief.

Absolutely. The Founders were VERY leery of democracy, and thus we have a representational republic. Such that a majority vote to say, toss in the dumpster the Bill of Rights, would be invalid because only a Constitutional Convention, or a supermajority vote in the House and Senate, can do this. We canā€™t ā€œvoteā€ out elements of the Constitution; the Constitution prevails over democracy.

Yep, more fear (IMO justified) of democracy (ā€œthree wolves voting that the lamb is going to be dinnerā€) as ā€œmob rule.ā€ Our Republicā€™s Constitution is designed to protect the lamb.

I stand corrected on the firewall aspect against cheating being part of the Founderā€™s vision, it is a modern function (to me valid, unless you want New York City/Chicago/Los Angeles/Houston, on their own, to pick presidents), Iā€™ll see if I can edit my post to correct it.

:roll_eyes: Weā€™re all responsible, whether we voted for the clown or not.

Spend more time on this forum. As @KKC noted, we have heard our share of stories of hosts being delisted at the word of a guest. They have provided receipts. Yes, there are holes in the OPā€™s story. If she isnā€™t good at establishing ethos on an internet forum, that doesnā€™t mean AirBnB doesnā€™t unfairly delist people.

3 Likes

I think you mean 'purely based on the guestā€™s story rather than the host surely?

1 Like

Quite frankly I am inclined to give a host the benefit of the doubt. Bottom line is that this could happen to any of us.

7 Likes

I also would not agree that SH is ā€œeasyā€. Itā€™s an accomplishment, but it takes talent and commitment.

3 Likes

I suppose you donā€™t realize that the Electoral College was put in place to protect slave states?

Standard civics-class accounts of the Electoral College rarely mention the real demon dooming direct national election in 1787 and 1803: slavery.

At the Philadelphia convention, the visionary Pennsylvanian James Wilson proposed direct national election of the president. But the savvy Virginian James Madison responded that such a system would prove unacceptable to the South: ā€œThe right of suffrage was much more diffusive [i.e., extensive] in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes.ā€ In other words, in a direct election system, the North would outnumber the South, whose many slaves (more than half a million in all) of course could not vote. But the Electoral Collegeā€”a prototype of which Madison proposed in this same speechā€”instead let each southern state count its slaves, albeit with a two-fifths discount, in computing its share of the overall count.

RR

2 Likes

I questioned that because someone stated that this happened doesnā€™t mean it is as presented.

Others have questioned the details. Running to the defense and personal testimonies from others doesnā€™t change the holes in the story.

When it all washes out, I half expect the story to fall apart.

Yes Airbnb delists at will. This, seems doubtful. This is the ultimate nightmare for Airbnb similar to hidden cameras and others.

Whether I raise crocodiles or rent out a yurt doesnā€™t alter the original post.

Requests for more details or some of the oddities are being evaded.

Anything other than dealing with the facts at hand, misinterpreting my content and throwing shade rather than dealing with the postā€¦

@klatchers. Normally I like to see new posters join discussions. Your aggressiveness and rude tone of your postings tell me you failed to read the group rules of treating one another with appropriate respect.

Sometimes we can all use a dose of tough love. Disrespect and badgering are not tough love.

If your goal is to be a valued contributor, lighten up. Like @Helsi Iā€™m finished with your behavior.

14 Likes

Not only with the EC but with everything. ā€œSmall stateā€ is virtually synonymous with ā€œslave stateā€ in the 1780ā€™s. But the white washing of our history is extensive and pervasive and itā€™s hard to blame folks for not really ever hearing a more realistic version. (ditto history of civil war)

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind words.

He was parked behind my vehicle and about to leave, when I was unloading items from the back of my car. He then drove into my legs to scare me.

I work for myself bootstrapping a start-up. No one there to pay my income while I build a company in the role of Data Scientist. You make many assumptions.

Agree, but you leave everyone here no choice but to make assumptions.

Edit: My biggest assumption is that you were here for help, not just sympathy or drama, but your responses arenā€™t helping. I truly am sorry for what happened to you. Even if I canā€™t help, I would still like to learn whatever I can from your experience and Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone.

2 Likes

Wow, scary! Iā€™m so sorry that happened to you!! Not only the guest assaulting youā€¦but having your livelihood kicked out from under you.

This thread is crazy. Iā€™m not sure where some peoplesā€™ humanity has gone, but it seems a couple of people need to go on the mountain and get focused and try to remember what is like to be humanā€¦with a heart.

This woman has been traumatized, has had to deal with law enforcement because of an Airbnb guest ā€¦who knows where she lives and has no qualms about harming her. As if thatā€™s not scary enough,
instead of having some assurance that Airbnb will help protect other hosts from a dangerous guest, instead take away her main source of income without even an explanation as to why, causing her even more stress. I donā€™t know about anybody else, but our listings are a very important part of our income.

Hopefully they are just taking the conservative route and putting all on hold until all the facts can be ascertained. The advice to message through social media is very good and has proven to get the issues expedited in the past for hosts and guests.

Maybe it will help to write a letter to Air and add all relevant documents, like the police report with the eyewitness reports and the guestā€™s criminal background, which is public record, (and should have been caught during the initial background check)?

I am just dumbfounded by this scenario. I hope you get this sorted out very soon for you. There are just too many stories like this now with Air. Such a shame because every bit of bad publicity harms everybody using the platform, hosts and guests alikeā€¦as well as Airbnb itself.

Litigious note: if the reason Air has deactivated you is due to remarks from the guest [and not simply a temporary suspension] then you can (and should) go after the guest for slander as well as deliberate harm to your business, both illegal and actionable offenses. It is not just the assault that is harming you.

Please keep us posted and speak to a professional if youā€™re having trouble coping with the trauma. Again, so sorry this happened to you.

9 Likes