Appliance question

The only time my refrigerator line has gone out was one summer when I was away on vacation. My house and dog sitter arrived to find water all over the kitchen/entry floor. she called my sister/brother in law who suggested she look under the sink and turn off the fridge supply valve. So that was the temporary fix and she cleaned up the water. Months later I opened a box on the floor of a nearby closet to find a box full of molded books! She didn’t think to look in the closet. Luckily no drywall was damaged.

1 Like

I have LG with ice maker (not door dispenser), now 8 years old. Ice maker routinely needs RESET button activated. It’s on the underside of the ice maker. In other words you can’t see it so you have to know where to look

I’ve read more negative reviews than I can count about LG ice makers & owners spending hundreds on repairs. I wonder how much was really just a reset issue.

I found my answer on a YouTube “how to troubleshoot & fix” video

Yes-my area too plus McDonalds sells bags of ice for $1.79 (1/2 block away)

From Q&A on internet
Most McDonald’s locations sell eight to ten-pound bags of ice . McDonald’s bags of ice come as ice cubes, no crushed ice is available. The price for a bag of ice is usually $0.99 to $1.49, depending on location.

1 Like

So here’s my old fashioned question- is there something wrong with ice cube trays? You know, the way everyone made ice cubes before all these fancy gadgets.

Are they so low tech that guests would need a page of instructions to use them?

3 Likes

We use trays in the house and have them in the str. No problemos! Market a mile away sells ice. Guests sometimes bring bag ice and can put it in the vintage cooler for outdoor slurping.

2 Likes

Yep. I have an 11-year-old LG French-door refrigerator in my own home. The reset button is located on the bottom where it’s both difficult to find and to access. My LG refrigerator is on it’s 6th icemaker and 3rd ice/water dispenser.

Even doing it myself, those 9 repairs cost around $120 each for parts. I’d guess it would cost 3 to 4 times as much to have a repairman do it.

Probably some, but not mine. Reset never helped, it has always just broken, usually an obvious broken piece of plastic.

1 Like

If I forget to leave my Asko front loader’s door open when I empty it, it smells after 6 or 7 hours. I’ve tried bleach, peroxide, nothing helps. But it’s the washer in the Air part of the house.

Fortunately, grandma’s 1978 Maytag top loader down in the basement just keeps doing load after load of sheets and towels, without a hitch. It’s only called the repairman once, after my mother dumped a bucket of water into the timer switch and it had to be replaced.

Arizona water is hard, so you need good water treatment and a filter. The fridge has a sensor that stops making ice when the container is full.

2 Likes

If you are using the place for Airbnb replacing after at least four years (and likely more as you don’t know how long the previous owners had them) doesn’t seem unreasonable @

I couldn’t do it. A cheap full size refrigerator/ freezer is over >$700. My neighbor spent over $2,500! I love it and would love to have it but it’s got too much for people to break.

Any thing in the condo the guest is unfamiliar with how to operate will likely get broken as they try to force it. Forget reading instructions or doing an internet search-just use & break

1 Like

Appliances are costly. Doesn’t make sense for me to throw out an appliance that’s only four years old.

I only suggested it because you complained guests were misusing them and you were incurring costly repairs because of floor damage . @Ritz3

I never throw out costly appliances that are still working I give them to charities working with homeless families to pass on.

1 Like

That water and ice always taste weird to me, even when we had a brand new fridge that we maintained ourselves, it was gross. I think it’s the plastic tubing that it all goes through, it tastes funny like that. And I would never use the ice or water from a fridge at an Airbnb because I don’t trust that it is maintained well. So we also opted not to do the water dispenser and ice maker in our listings. We leave a brita pitcher and ice trays and it’s always worked out. Most people up here just bring their own bottled water anyway since the water is so nasty up here (we don’t even cook with it).

2 Likes

My neighbor has one of those water dispenser fridges and his water comes from a large communal well all the neighbors on that side of the street share. He also has a whole house water filtration system. But one day he found the water tasted weird and went to look in the well, where he saw a large dead toad floating around.

He couldn’t get that taste out of his mouth for a week.

2 Likes

I let guest make their own ice. I bought a portable icemaker for 100 From Walmart,we did not have access to a waterline behind the fridge. Guests love it, you pour water in, cubes pop out in 10 minutes,great little machine.

3 Likes

And now I will go to bed with that image in my head. Yukkk

If the washer door is left open a bit to air out, the odor problem is solved.

My plumber sold me this model of water alarm. When it goes off, it’s impossible to overlook.

https://www.amazon.com/Glentronics-Inc-BWD-HWA-00895001498-Basement/dp/B000JOK11K/ref=zg_bs_7491105011_3

2 Likes

Not my Asko! And now they changed distributors, and I can’t order parts any more.

Are you in Sweden? I need a moisture sensor for my dryer.

Sorry to hear about the parts situation for your machine. I still get Genuine BMW Parts for my 1988 M3, it doesn’t seem right that you can’'t get parts for your Asko. :-/

I’m a bit west of Sweden in Hawaii, USA. So I know humidity.

I went to front loaders 14 years ago. Early on, I learned about allowing the washer to dry out which was the fix to the issue.

I have owned two washer/dryer pairs, Bosch and Electrolux and recently a Samsung washer. The Bosch pair were purchased in late 2007. Washer struggled with large loads from day one. Finally the ‘control panel’ went bad and the repair cost made the washer of no use. The dryer works well.

Enter the Samsung washer. 18 months so far. I expect it to crap out long before it should… a bad pc board again, or maybe a ‘feature gone bad’ and likely not a mechanical issue. We’re in a throw away (buy another, thank you) society… /rant

The Electrolux pair went into the rental 24 months ago and rested much of 2020. Does the job.

My Samsung needed a new motherboard. I just ordered one, it was about $100, and changed it out myself. The tricky part was figuring out how to get that panel open, but Youtube videos showed me that. You don’t have to rewire anything, you just pull the connectors from the old one (I took a photo so I wouldn’t get them mixed up) and replug them into the new motherboard.

Was certainly a whole lot cheaper than buying a new machine, as mine was inly 5 years old and otherwise in perfect shape.

2 Likes

We have bought new motherboards for our aging laptops that we like a few times. We have a top loader we inherited with the house in 2011, it keeps working great, just needs smaller sized loads!