Anyone run a separate home business as well as Air?

I love when one of these threads veers off into dogland. I’m sure others hate it though. I was shocked a few years ago to learn that one of my wildlife and environment loving, retired biologist friends doesn’t like companion animals. She doesn’t like dogs and absolutely detests cats, particularly outdoor cats due to their predation of wild birds. I really like her but she’s a different person to me now. LOL.

2 Likes

I still work full time (at our local animal shelter) but my husband works from home. We have several LTR’s along with our one Airbnb unit. I don’t mention anything about dogs in our listing as it’s a separate unit, but I do have a couple of photo/coffee table books of rescue dogs and my wine glasses are from an auction that I’ve gone to for years that supports spay/neuter. So sometimes guests (like my current one) will ask me as they are involved in animal welfare somehow. As for the fairest dog, here is my 17.5 yo girl Mia.

And her puppy photo. She was my “foster failure” image

3 Likes

Be still my beating heart! What a grand lady she is! And a puppy to make one coo in delight!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I am a member of a secret facebook group where a question of side gigs came up. I was surprised at the number of dog boarding/LTR/STR folks there seem to be. Lots of small scale sales like soapmakers or artists and writers. What there aren’t a lot of is Uber/Lyft drivers. Interesting.

1 Like

Beautiful listing!!! All I can say is: Wow. Wow. Wow. IMPRESSIVE!

Gorgeous! What a funny-never-woulda-guessed mix! I immediately thought cattle dog!
What, pray tell, is a wisdom panel before I end up down the rabbit hole googling it?

Very common! Biologists I know also detest cats. All those years of sexing birds on remote islands I think.

1 Like

She looks like a red Dobie. I will look closer on my laptop rather than my phone. But she looks pretty Dobie to me in this pic!
Her points may not be well defined but she is definitely not the “wrong colour”. :slight_smile:
Do you have other pics?

1 Like

She is a dead ringer for a Dutch Shepherd X and I was curious to see if the tests showed that. It didn’t but then again, what is a DS? A mix of GSDs and Belgian Mals.

Wisdom Panel is a brand name of a DNA test for dogs.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you can see the dog in my Avatar well, but when I ran the Wisdom Panel on him, it told me he was mixed with Kerry Blue Terrier. I almost fell out of my chair. They have fluffy blue fur and are not very big. This dog had short smooth red fur, giant ears that stood straight up, and weighed close to 70 lbs. I figured he had some pit bull in him, but I thought perhaps he was mixed with lab based on some of his behavior and his very soft mouth (played with tiny cat toys and never in his life destroyed any toy, although he did chew an ink pen once), but apparently no lab at all.

Yeah, your profile pic looks like a pibble. They (Wisdom Panels) are fun to do. The Boston Terrier in my Elle was my big surprise. I figured that’s what gives her a small size compared to most GSD.

1 Like

17 1/2 years!!! Should we be so blessed to have Bella 10 more years!!!
Icklemiss–1st Thank you for checking our listing out and your kind words!!
I think you are referring to our Bella and her red color. Most assuredly pure Dobies do not come in Bellas color<><> Red dobies are generally dark choclatey brown with a reddish tinge, she is just not like that; but deep honey color yes.

1 Like

In full disclosure she’s pretty much totally senile at this point. I keep doing quality of life surveys but she winds up in the middle so we’ll keep her around awhile longer. I miss the amazing dog she once was, but I feel blessed every day I get to spend with her, even if she can’t find her way back from the yard and has occasional accidents. Our cat is 18 1/2 and my father-in-law is 92. My f-I-l doesn’t live with us but we (mostly hubby) spend a lot of time helping him out. Between the 3 of them it’s a regular nursing home.

2 Likes

Red dobie’s aren’t chocolate brown but Brown dobies are! :wink:
I will have to look again. I participated in Doberman rescue for years. I had a red girl, a black boy and a GSD/so be mix.
Maybe the photo or my phone is playing tricks on me but the colour really isn’t that off.
There are also browns as well as reds so maybe you are confusing the two?

Here is red and a black (beauties) :slight_smile:

Here is a brown beauty:

Here is a red beauty uncropped and undocked for comparison:
red-doberman-pinscher

And a uniform red. Very coppery honey!

I have to go look at your Bella when I get a moment…but just wanted to see if you were sure!

I love the uncropped/undocked!!! Gorgeous dogs!!

We are thrilled Bee is uncropped +undocked and her tail does not “sweep” at all due to some reason it is sensitive and held high like a scorpion.

Ya gotta believe me you have never seen a purebred dobie her color.! Though she was welcomed to a Dober Forum As far as a Visla, her coat color is more sympa to them except for the variations and “points”! I think the Visla head is shape kind chihuahua-ish, she doesn’t have that

Let us know the results of her DNA test when you get them.

1 Like

I was actually wondering if maybe she was part Vizsla?

That is wild! That is the thing about genetics! You can swear up and down that you think your dog is this because of tail length or ear coat colour or length but if it’s a mix, all bets are off! I am gonna look into this wisdom panel. Sounds like a new favourite betting game!

Haha! To someone who looks at multiple breeds all day long, no Viszlas do not have a chi shaped head. Whatsoever. :slight_smile:

I was gonna say that yours does not have a gundog head shape at all nor the Viszla V drop ears that Pointers share. Ears are always a good start to the guess the mixed breed.
But really it is All just conjecture as nobody can say 100% with a rescue.

A rescue founder and wonderful friend of mine once said " If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras!". And invariably, she was right. If, for example, you think your dog is Karellian bear dog mixed with Norwegian Laphund and Komondor, it is NOT.
It is likely the most common breed mixed with another most common breed and they may look RIDICULOUSLY similar. But if a dog isnt that visible in shelters and you may have only met one in your life, your dog is not that.:slight_smile:
As with any type of detective work, I do love the guess the mixed breed game!
Can anyone (except Karma) guess what mine are?

1 Like