Anyone run a separate home business as well as Air?

Nooo, this works wonders. Get this brand or the like, you can’t skimp…worth every penny. I’m a light sleeper and have tried many silly noise machines…speaking of, time for some zzz’s
:pray:

1 Like

@Icklemiss – Yes, the guests get breakfast every morning; even the one guest who stayed with us for 20 days got breakfast every morning.

No schedule conflicts, because in my 17 years as a Personal Chef I have only ever scheduled two morning events – post-wedding breakfasts, both – and they were years ago.

When I have a “Two Weeks Client” where I go to their house and make 2 weeks of meals in one session, I simply ask the guests if they mind having breakfast a bit early or would like one of my ‘takeaway’ breakfasts like Breakfast Muffins or a Tortilla de Patata, that I can make the night before. I do the same thing if I have an early morning doctor’s appointment at the VA.

Storage isn’t an issue. Our guest breakfasts are prepared from set aside supplies in our fridge that are bought just before they arrive. When I have other cookings, I cannot ‘buy ahead’ nd store, I have to buy the day of the event. I shop early, and head directly from the grocery store to the client’s house.

My partner Sally has all her meals prepared daily, from breakfasts to lunches, dinners, parties we host, parties we go to, etc. She tells the folks in her office that her Personal Chef makes all the goodies she brings for office potlucks and celebrations. She loves not having to cook. She can cook, as she says, but now she chooses not to! She does cook one of to meals a year, like our Boxing Day celebration and my birthday dinner.

5 Likes

Good for Sally upholding a good British tradition :slight_smile:

Previously posted on another thread so I’ll take the liberty to repost here
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/29389628

It’s not something I’d advertise due to the difficulty in guaranteeing such a thing. Going to other way of allowing pets and saying you have one is probably just as profitable. I wondered when I started how many guests I’d lose vs gain when I started but it’s never seemed to be an issue.

I did have a guest who came several times over a couple of years while my set up was still connected to my part of the house. She asked if she could have a dog sleep with her and I said no because of the extra cleaning and also if it needed to go out during the night it was so much more convenient in my room with the dog door. She is one who specifically choose my place because of her love of dogs.

If you decide to allow dogs then you can maybe offer it after they book as a quiet side job. Honestly you are in a conundrum. The outdoor casual setting has dog written all over it. The abundance of custom textiles has no dog written all over it. Dog hair really does get everywhere.

Bella is gorgeous and makes me even more keen to visit. I always look for airbnb’s with pets on site.

Hmmm. Mr Joan cooks a lot too. Does Sally get to do the clearing up afterwards like me?

1 Like

Thanks Karma! She really is the most beautiful dog on the planet. Inside and out:) She is also very astute about which people are ok. “you know he lives here, you don’t. If you would like to be more comfortable, you are welcome to go outside…”—Annet --perfect

We have a fenced yard with our house inside 1/2 acre, we made for Bella. But up at the trailer its all unfenced. So the guests would really be boarding their dogs with us v/s having them with them at the zone. No small dogs because of the coyote and hawk predators.

Iklemiss I too am power tool Mama! Our shop is luckily pretty far from the listing, and the tools rest a lot, now that the building is finished… for now.

Wow Ken your Sally is a lucky lady having a Chef in her life! We share cooking ( enjoy mostly gourmet) but dh cleans it all up.

3 Likes

No, that’s my dog, Elle. LOL.

What kind of dog is Bella? Elle is a GSD/Akita/BostonTerrier/mixed according to her Wisdom Panel. Normally I’d eschew that kind of a mix. I’m not a big fan of GSDs. But she was a stray and love at first sight.

2 Likes

Yes Karma, Elle is lovely. But MY Bella is BY FAR the fairest of them ALL.
She ( a rescue at 10 months) is at least 1/2 Doberman Pinscher, we are not sure what else. We have not done a dna. She weighs 75 lbs, is very active and is the wrong color for full dobie and a little bit bigger than most dobie females. I always say, her Mommie was a princess and her daddy was a handsome scoundrel!

4 Likes

My Coco’s DNA test gave an unexpected result. She’s the large one here and she is half Golden Retriever. Of course this causes know it all humans to question the validity of the testing. Surely their eyeballs know more than any stupid scientific test. I thought she was maybe a lab boxer mix.

4 Likes

Coco looks like a real sweet-heart

Hmm, I’m seeing something there and I can’t quite place it. Some kind of hound comes to mind. She is a beauty for sure.

One of the things that won me over about Elle besides her beauty was her good behavior. She is smart and sweet but doesn’t tolerate any foolishness. She never had an accident in the house, isn’t food or resource guarding. I can brush her teeth, clip her nails, give a bath and there’s no fussing. She doesn’t care much about other dogs though and isn’t super playful. She wants a job but her main work here is chasing flies.

Coco is sweet and has fur as soft and shiny as silk.

2 Likes

Yes could be even Rhodesian, but likely not Visla due to head shape.

Bella does not smell at all (Unless she roll in ***) Her teeth do not need brushing due to her diet. She hates but tolerates nail dremeling. She does not steal even food from a coffee table. She is extremely playful and loves hiking off leash nearby. She is very affectionate and well mannered. We hope to give her an exceptional life, she deserves it! When I die can I come back as my dog???

2 Likes

Oh I feel you on the Sanford and Sons thing…I’m always having to tell my husband that the driveway is looking hillbilly. It’s got a huge bending break and a giant metal roller and an old flatboat that just live out there, but when there are also bags of sand, heaps of metal and scrap wood, etc, I have to do some yelling and some cleaning.

To soundproof, the layout of our house helped a lot. It’s essentially 3 rows of space downstairs, with the apartment is on one side and the main workspace on the other side, and we made that middle space a buffer zone. We closed a doorway that connected the 2 workspaces.

He does have one little room in the back of the middle space that has connecting walls with the apartment’s bathroom, and he realized how much it was not soundproofed when our 3rd group of guests was enjoying each others’ company rather loudly in there…as soon as they were gone, he put up another layer of drywall there and lots of spray foam around the brick fireplace and that did the trick.

You can still hear that something is happening in the metal studio if he’s working, if you’re in the apartment and quiet, but it’s mostly not bad at all…

LOL. That’s great! My guest room is attached to my home and separated on on side by two closets and another side has an adjoining room that I use as an office. I’m in there a lot during the day but it’s often empty. The other two walls of the guest room are facing out.

Once I was sitting in my living room at the opposite end of the hall and realized the ductwork for the AC is a great conduit of sound. It’s as if the guests were in the very next room. And if a guest coughs, laughs or sneezes, we definintely hear it.

If I put a mini split in the guest room as I’ve considered I’ll be blocking off the vent into that room.

Sally only does some of the washing up; I do most of that too. She still works for a living; I’m retired.

1 Like

I retired early last year to take care of my father.
I have a small pet sitting business along with the
ABB that my husband and I work on together.
Even though I retired from the financial industry
I’m finding that I’m busier than ever. But I really enjoy what I do!

2 Likes

I’m still working too. We also have 3 other LTR properties besides the Air suite attached to our home.

This is my dog Lu, a pure American Bulldog. I got her from the pound. She was on Death Row, in one of the kennels way in the back that few people bother going to. She had been hit by a car and was pregnant. The pound apparently thought she had so little chance of adoption that they didn’t even sew up her face until I spoke up for her. She is hands down one of my best dogs ever. I call her my “guard bear” as she lives up to her breed characteristic of “guardian”. Rescue dogs are simply the best.

6 Likes

She’s a very lucky lady! I have anticipatory dread when Mr Joan starts on one of his afternoon cook ups. He has never learned the concept of clearing up as you go along, and has a predilection for using every utensil in the kitchen.

1 Like

Lu looks exactly like Bee’s BF Brooklyn at her dog vacay! What a sweetie and so lucky.

1 Like