Airbnb without a full kitchen?

I describe the kitchen (with photographs) as everything but a dishwasher - they have to bring their own. However, I use a portable stove top, microwave/convection oven, sink toaster, good coffee maker, jug, fridge/freezer. Describe everything with photos in my (limited) experience usually sorts them out before they book. And limit stay times. And I have a lot of restaurants nearby. No probs so far. And I emphasise COZY. Lots of good advice here though on this thread.

1 Like

Looks like we will end up with a similar configuration. Oh man, I hope that we don’t have too many crazy bacon fryers. LOL

Agreed! The advice on this thread has been fantastic! :slight_smile:

I have recently purchased a foreclosure across the street from the horse farm where I live (and Airnnb a private room) and will eventually be putting it on Airbnb. What is everyone’s thoughts about listing it prior to completion indicating that the kitchen has no working stove top?

I can either take it out completely or leave it in with it’s cracked glass top. The oven works fine and the stove works but only have of the burners have glass over them.

I will eventually be replacing the whole thing but right now I don’t have any more money to do it and was wondering if letting it out super cheap with a title like “Foreclosure Flip in Progress” or something, with accompanying photos and appropriate description of amenities and their current state. Once it is complete I will delete the listing and have the “usual” totally ready place.

Note that this is a lakefront property in the country, with a convenience store and Dollar General walking distance across the street (but not in view due to trees), if that makes any difference.

Shouldn’t be a problem as long as guests are aware. It depends what type of guests you will have of course, but here people are much more interested in using the microwave than ‘proper’ cooking. Your guests will probably be quite happy buying microwavable foods (and sandwiches and so forth) from the convenience store.

I imagine that they’ll be more interested in the lake and the countryside.

But why offer it super cheap? Ask a fair price :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Because it is no where near “ready” yet for the “usual” pricing.

I would expect that a super cheap price WOULD be FAIR.

It is a foreclosure and the walls all need repainting, one bedroom needs a fist size hole repaired (although maybe I could put that behind the headboard if I put the bed off to the side), the bathroom needs a hole repaired where the door handle went through it, I need to replace a couple missing kitchen cabinet doors and replace the loose (I already tightened but they don’t always stay if not closed “just so”) hinges on the rest of the floor cabinet doors, the flooring still need to be replaced. I am currently ripping up all the carpet and padding. I plan to replace with LVP since it will be a pet friendly listing. I will only have the bedroom floors finished (not the 2 living rooms or the kitchen - bathroom’s fine with some elbow grease) with what I have been able to purchase so far. So the living room floors will just be unfinished plywood.

1 Like

Missing flooring, missing cabinet doors, and holes in the walls seem like a bad review waiting to happen, unfortunately. I would definitely try to get it back to fully functional before you even attempt to rent where reviews are important. Consider posting photos here to see what hosts think are the minimum items to repair/replace/whatever before listing.

5 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t list it until it’s in a better condition - the above along with all the other issues you’ve mentioned are, as @Brian_R170 says, bad reviews just waiting to happen. Stuff like that would make me think it’s a host just wanting to make a quick few quid and that they don’t really care, irrespective of how you explain it to guests.

If you’re satisfied that it’s safe and clean however, then one possibility would be to market it under a seperate account.

JF

1 Like

All this talk of guests with multiple accounts I never even thought to do that myself. Hmmm.

@Militaryhorsegal Another thought is to find a mid-term tenant who is not around during the day, who either

– would JUMP at the chance to stay somewhere discounted because they don’t mind works in progress

– is a handyperson who can do some of the work. (I’ve seen Craigslist “Room Wanted” ads for handypersons)

Be slightly cautious about your titling and description if your new property (congratulations!) doesn’t have a use & occupancy permit yet. I don’t fully know the ins and outs of these, but I believe that if a house is in really really rough shape, such that staying in it is kind of like camping, it may not be strictly legal to have tenants in it. So some discretion might be in order, but I suspect you could quietly do something that would satisfy both parties and stay under the local radar.

What Are Use & Occupancy Permits? | Bizfluent

What did you decide to do? I’m interested…