Airbnb without a full kitchen?

This and a sink and you’re all set.

6 Likes

I know what you mean. The type of persons I’ve consistently had a problem with also share a common characteristic. It’s so easy to fall into a pattern of dreading each one who books and wondering if they are also going to demand the special treatment others of their group did. But in the end it’s unfair to all the other older men who weren’t a problem (and they are the vast majority) to have a prejudicial mindset.

2 Likes

If you want them to be able to cook more, like you said sink would be the first thing, and after that I would prioritize a single burner induction hotplate/burner more than a toaster oven. But I think your place sounds great the way it is.

1 Like

I have everything but an oven; in lieu of a traditional oven, I have a microwave and a large toaster oven. I’ve only once had someone book, then cancel (after re-reading the listing) because he wanted a traditional oven. I’d say that 70% of my guests don’t use the cooktop or either of the ovens. The majority of my guests go out to eat, because they are either on vacation or on business.

Each ABNB location (and guest) is different. As long as you list what you have available, you will be fine. You will loose those who want to cook, but (in my opinion) that is not a bad thing.

… much easier to clean up the place after they’ve left. That’s one of the reasons I keep my booking max to around 7 days … the longer someone stays the more likely they are going to be cooking a lot.

3 Likes

When I visited Scotland, what I most often heard in response to mentioning my Scottish ancestry was “Oh, we’re related then. You should buy me a wee dram to celebrate!”. Not once did anyone offer to buy ME a drink, but they almost always recommended that I buy them one.

Such a parcel of rogues in a nation, to quote the sacred poet. But a great country, and one that would do even better if they finally voted for devolution, since the North Sea oil the English have been stealing for 40 years would be theirs.

Saorsa! A-muigh leis a ’Bheurla!

2 Likes

If it’s only suitable for short stays I would try and work that into your listing title, in your opening paragraph of your listing etc.

I agree if you are offering guests facilities to eat and drink you need a sink.

IKEA have some great small kitchen units with sinks.

1 Like

People who want a traditional oven in Phoenix (about 10 months of the year) don’t know what they are doing.

(Sooo pretty! I can’t wait to stay there. Maybe I should ask about Super Bowl rates now?)

1 Like

I use my toaster oven a lot, second only to my microwave. One thing with a cook top of any kind is that people can then fry food and that’s what coats your kitchen in grease and is a prime cause of kitchen fires. I’d pass. A full size home when families will stay needs a full kitchen. Anything less I’d avoid a full kitchen.

2 Likes

That’s cool and relatively inexpensive if you’re really tight on space, although many reviews indicate it doesn’t do anything very well and isn’t very robust, either. I also think it will be a terrible mess to clean as I can see grease dripping down the side on every use of the griddle.

A host with enough space would probably be better off with a separate coffee maker, toaster oven, and an electric skillet. However, if you don’t have a sink in the same room, you probably don’t want a toaster oven or skillet.

I experienced the same situation, I don’t allow guests to use the stove or oven because certain ethnic foods leave very strong odors from the type of food, spices & grease used.
I worked for a Japanese company in the US (I’m American) & all the Japanese employees said they don’t like the smell of Americans homes because of all the dairy products. It’s hard to air out a home with strong cooking odors when you’ve only got 4 hours or less between guests.

1 Like

I never cook when I stay in AirBnBs, through I do use the stove or microwave to make tea every morning so a sink would be nice. Once in a great while my husband will cook eggs for breakfast when we are traveling. But as long as I can have tea with some kind of toasted bread—English muffin, some toast or a bagel, I’m good.

I have 3 AirBnBs, all entire houses with full kitchens, and I really hate guests who cook a lot. The last group that did were into frying and there was grease splatter from floor to ceiling. I hate the odor too. Usually the first thing I do when cleaning is take out the trash and open the windows so the smell dissipates.

1 Like

wow… what a beautiful setup!

1 Like

Yeah, we have a plumber coming today. I think there is a way we can add a sink and we need him to confirm.

I have been looking IKEA counters and I am seeing some great options that will work great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m liking this idea. There are a lot of great options on amazon.

Amazon Hot Plate

Hopefully that link came through ok.

hmmm… yeah… didn’t think of that. Would like to avoid the greasy, smelly part of frying…

1 Like

Gingers! Well in that case… lol

RR

I hate this as well, thinking of removing all but one tiny frying pan! I used to leave a basket of fresh eggs with a note about my happy chickens. Then I realized it was encouraging cooking, and everyone seemed to pair the eggs with bacon:( I also stopped putting out the popcorn packets because I was chasing popcorn out from under furniture. Live and learn. I am working on building my guest house which will be finished ny summer, I hope. I am setting it up for two people max, less dishes, less everything.

RR

1 Like

I too have a Massachusetts Airbnb in my home, I only rent 1 private studio and have been considering closing down in July. Wondering if you could tell me where I can find out if we would qualify as a bed and breakfast and what that would mean. Thanks in advance.

There is a difference between an Bed and Breakfast Home (which is excluded from the tax) vs a Bed and breakfast establishment.

Here’s some resources. If your studio has a kitchen and is separate from your house and if you rent to more than 3 people at one time, you won’t qualify.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleIX/Chapter64G/Section1

Thank you for the info I will look it over. The studio does not have a kitchen but it is in our detached garage. We have a max. occupancy of 2.